pigeon on rape yet ?

Matt Gould

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though most Pigeon still seem to be feeding on Ivy berries, finally found 2 fields with about 200-300 feeding on Rape. Hopefully a promising start to 2012.

Have been out several times over Christmas and the few we have shot had completely empty crops also many thin birds (Game dealer only paid us 1/2 price for these. No idea what they have been feeding on but whatever it was couldn't have been that good for them.

i had a phone call from the farmer 2 weeks ago spitting feathers saying there where thousands on his fields, went the next day and only shot a couple :huh:

on my way back this morning from one shoot i past the fields to check and there where easily 4 to 500 flying round :good:

think me and the old man might be in for a good few bags shortly.. :yes:

oh...s.yorks.

was out sat looking round found some birds around 20 in the trees surrounded by rape but just dropping in right under the trees and nothing flighting in.

few miles down the road found around 600 in the woods and trees on a dairy farm with plenty of oaks and 2 old stubbles either end of it again they were just dropping down under the trees on the stubbles set up on them only shot 2 just not interested at all in decoying and the 2 i got had acorns in them so no doubt they are still on the acorns were i looked.

Just a quick question went out yesterday on the rape the pigeons where hitting hard in the morning for about an hour then sat up in trees all day till late afternoon then in quite big numbers hit the ivy. So the question is any one decoyed birds to ivy if so how?

its interesting reading replies on the thread some are saying they are on rape and shooting good bags most are saying they are not touching the rape and still eating acorns, berries, etc. to me its a regional thing and varies conciderably, 50 miles from me or you they could be on the rape then 50 miles further on from that they might not be touching it and so on and so on and nothing to do with weather conditions because it hasn,t been cold enough any part of the country to use that as a factor.

thats my 2p spent :)

its interesting reading replies on the thread some are saying they are on rape and shooting good bags most are saying they are not touching the rape and still eating acorns, berries, etc. to me its a regional thing and varies conciderably, 50 miles from me or you they could be on the rape then 50 miles further on from that they might not be touching it and so on and so on and nothing to do with weather conditions because it hasn,t been cold enough any part of the country to use that as a factor.

Hi

I have loads of rape to shoot over but there is nothing feeding yet.

I was invited to a farmers driven day last friday locally and the pigeons were all on the game cover, which I believe protom had already said in a previous post.

A couple of the rape fields have quite a few bare patches from drilling probs so it would be easy for the pigeons, but they havent touched it.

large flocks starting to appear now.

Alan

Totally agree. I have spotted a fair few today on rape that haven't been there all winter. Has it got colder or snowed over the last few days? No! The pigeons other food sources are starting to dry up, that's all.

Totally agree. I have spotted a fair few today on rape that haven't been there all winter. Has it got colder or snowed over the last few days? No! The pigeons other food sources are starting to dry up, that's all.

got a great deal clder ere in last 2 days mate, temp been 3 degrees all day today

Pigeons now hitting the ivy berries hard tho they hit the rape first thing then move for the berries for the rest of the day .Also really hitting the game cover now the wind has blown it down !Got 1 field showing good numbers and will have a shot sat morning me thinks :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

don,t know if i was seeing things, but i,m sure i saw around 100 birds sat in the trees bordering a rape field i don,t shoot as i drove passed going to work,and have everyday since sept when it was put in and its the first time all winter they have been on or even near this field, but its coincided with the recent cold snap we are having.