pigeon on rape yet ?

Matt Gould

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched another field late this afternoon and loads feeding and on the move was over 1000 in the air at 1 point :good:

You having some luck Tom?

Been out a couple of times this week but, despite recces showing loads on rape fields, the birds have just not appeared. To be fair, weather has been poor but me and mate spent several hours on different days watching fields, and still had little to shoot at.

You having some luck Tom?

Been out a couple of times this week but, despite recces showing loads on rape fields, the birds have just not appeared. To be fair, weather has been poor but me and mate spent several hours on different days watching fields, and still had little to shoot at.

Ive been a bit busy game shooting ,but had a client out yesterday who shot 38 for around 100 shots .Was very busy first thing then they came in bigger flocks after the first few hours making thing a bit more hard but still a good bag for the time of year .

Out tomorrow myself for a morning :yes:

Ive been a bit busy game shooting ,but had a client out yesterday who shot 38 for around 100 shots .Was very busy first thing then they came in bigger flocks after the first few hours making thing a bit more hard but still a good bag for the time of year .

Out tomorrow myself for a morning :yes:

Nice one!

Place we were at today, I saw 3-400 last week and farm manager reported a load too. But they just seem to move around several nearby rape fields, without consistently hitting the same one all the time. Still at least we've been. My mate didn't fire a shot today in four hours, I got two.

Nice one!

Place we were at today, I saw 3-400 last week and farm manager reported a load too. But they just seem to move around several nearby rape fields, without consistently hitting the same one all the time. Still at least we've been. My mate didn't fire a shot today in four hours, I got two.

It happens mate keep at it tho :yes: I had 27 this morning off rape but thousands around just need more guns out :good:

think were lacking strong winds :good:

went out but was few mins late a setting up Flock came over and settled

out of range. walked them off and they went into next field. Few birds came over decoys but a bit to high to shoot at.

One trio came over about 25 yards up. managed to kill one outright. Not A productive morning but at least they are about and feeding on the rape.

Hopping for better days to come.

I saw the first on the linseed field this morning whilst walking the dogs, about 80 I reckon but possibly with a few ferals mixed in as there were some with a lot of white on them. They didn't appear very happy, constantly lifting and settling, perhaps they won't be returning to eat the linseed. The crows seem to love it though.

They wont be on the Rape down here for another 3/4 weeks yet...And then only if the weather takes a turn and drops cold...Was out all day yesterday and saw no woodies anywhere...so we cleared the last of the ferals from a farm nearby..Thats 70 birds in 3 visits..Farmer well happy... :good: :good:

im still dreaming of shooting 81 at the moment :lol: :lol: , like i said just no intrested in decoying at mo :sly:

just not cold enough yet buddy boxing day last year verminator69 and my self shot 300+ on sprouts i a foot of snow so hope jan gets a bit colder then watch the pigeons go at the rape :good: :good: :good:

NEEDS COLD WEATHER :good: :good:

Well, this time last year it was about 5 below most days and there wasn't a pigeon to be seen, the cold weather and snow cover had driven them off to other parts of the Country where there was less snow and therefore more food available.

The fact is, Winter Rape is not their food of choice, they will feast upon Ivy Berries, Acorns, Hawthorn berries and pretty much everything else before they start hammering the Rape, "Cold Weather" has nothing to do with it, they've got to eat every day, be it mild or cold, it's all about availability of food supply during these short Winter days. :yes:

Cat.