Best all-round tyres on and off road

utectok

I do 30,000 miles a yaer and for the last two years have had Vedrestein Wintrac Extreme Mud & Snow rated tyres on my Volvo XC90.

I do 10% off road round farm and shoot and goes places the Disco's slip on. Last year in 12" snow no problem

Look at the reviews here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Wintrac-4-Extreme.htm

Mine are 255x50x19. They are also good value.

Cheers

Andy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some Yokohama Geolander a/t fitted on my Hilux a month ago. Same size tyres as you. 255/70/15. Fantastic tyre. Really good value, Excellent in the mud, quiet on the road and super sexy too. :good: :good:

This is the tyre, you might find them cheaper elsewhere :good:

http://www.tyretraders.com/tyreInformation%7CItemID%7CYOK20570R1596SG012.html

Hope this helps :good:

Wish I had the tyres today put my truck in the ditch going shooting this morning 4" of wet snow 20mph.... No damage but trying to drive out cost me a wing mirror rear lamp trims off and repeater indicator not to mention big dent in the side as i slid in deeper to the ditch (2 wheels in the ditch two on the grass...... tree and dyke did the damage ) :( :/ I'll ring tyres direct :)

Btw towed by tractor in the end

Edited by utectok

if you want a decent good quality tyre thats good on the mud and fairly quiet on the road you will not beat the hankook RF10 they are very very good we sold some to a chap who has got abot 10 nissan navaras he owns a earth moving company he was so pleased with them he has had them fitted to all his 4x4 vehicles that go on and off the muddy sites

if you want something more aggresive go for the hankook RT03

cheers shawn

Still struggling to get at grabbers!! No-one has them?! I have emailed loads (including the ones recommended here) and cannot get them in 255/70 15 anyone know where else to try??

try 235 / 75 /15 they have a diameter difference of -0.54% so naff all and you can get BFG All terrains for under £100 each from camskill which is a billy bargain and they are definitely better than the grabbers

I have grabber at2 16" 255 fitted to the frontera,these have been really good off road whilst driving round sugar beet and rape fields and no noticeable difference on the tarmac to on road tyres,they cost me £100 fitted per corner from 'hadleigh tyres' in ipswich suffolk.

try 235 / 75 /15 they have a diameter difference of -0.54% so naff all and you can get BFG All terrains for under £100 each from camskill which is a billy bargain and they are definitely better than the grabbers

So what your saying is 235/75 15 will fit my rims at 255 70 15?? Don't want to spend £400 on tyres that don't fit :/ cheers will

If you want to compare tyre sizes etc here are a couple of links...

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

The first one is very comprehensive and gives far more info than you will need (first half is about the wheels so scroll down to tyres)

The second seems to cut straight to the point but without any background explanation.

Google will turn plenty of alternatives.

Hope this helps. :good:

Edited by HW682

Seems they are an inch or do narrower not a problem if they seal ???

Oh and thanks everyone for the help!!!

They will seal no problem at all, basically you can fit a pretty large range of tyre widths to a wheel of a given width, general on their website do show the widths of tyres that fit certain rims. Yours are a very close match, I dropped mine from 265 to 245 no issues at als just far cheaper tyres as they were a more common size.

Thanks very useful. Now I'm wondering what rim profile i have ??? Should I be worried about this? How do I find out?

I have looked all over for something on the wheel ???

Quite often if they are alloys they will have the width of the rim stamped on them. Usually 6 or 7 inch with most 4x4's i've had both are fine with those tyres

mmmm just had this from Camskill tyres

"Good morning

First you need by law to get your insurance company's written permission to change size. next you need to make sure the fit on the rim. .on the inside of your rim is a J number IE 7.5j 8 j ect, and depending on what that says, is what width tyre will fit, Next speedo may need re-calibrating and load index must be the same or greater

It’s a Driver's responsibility

UK law requires that your vehicle is fitted with the correct type and size of tyres for the vehicle type you are driving and for the purpose it is being used. This means fitting the right tyres, and for safety ensuring that they are inflated to the manufacturer's recommended pressure.

Kindest reagrds"