can you recommend a decent scope for a .22lr

shawn9914

Hi All

can anyone recommend a decent scope to use with my sako varmint .22lr rimfire rifle, i currently have a hawkeye 4-12 x 50 on it but it has started to go funny around the edges when you look through it its not circular it has splodges on the edges so must be nearly knackered. i have found this a good scope but wanted to know if there was anything else about, dont want the best on the market but dont like to buy cheap stuff either

cheers shawn

I'm lucky enough to have a S&B 8x56 scope on my Ruger 10/22.I do like the Nikko Sterling Nighteater range of scopes,but I think I would buy a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10x50 scope as I find this paticular scope is excellent value for money!It also has lovely glass too!

bushnell banner 6-18 x 50 sportsmanguncentre.co.uk have them on sale at the mo for £118. I have it on my.22lr and 17hmr. Good for low light shooting!

Haven't we done this a few times before, take a look in the history.

Assuming field use.

Lets get realistic, it is a .22lr. It has no range to talk of and it doesn't kick, get whatever you want that you can see your quarry clearly with, but there is no need to spend a fortune on a .22lr scope.

I have had a Hawke Varmint 3-12x44 on my latest .22lr since I bought the gun, and I have NEVER had to refuse a shot because of any failing of the scope, day or night!

Just the same, if you have the cash to spare, why not spend it...but be careful not to get anything too heavy!

I'd fork out for an S&B 6x42. Such a great scope for a .22LR

Forget all these high mag scopes. Keep it simple

i totally agree, i've had a dozen or so scopes in the last 3 years and the one i get on best with is my edgar brothers opti-mate 6x44 (30mm tube) it cost about £150 including the mounts, no fiddly bits nothing to twist or turn, just see something point and pull! it's nice and light and does well under the lamp and at dusk/dawn too.

Having tried a fair few scopes on the .22lr but I settled on a Falcon Menace 4.5 18 X 56 with an MP20 ret.

It has six hold over mildots and means that anything out to 150yds requires no adjustment using 10x.

With an LR zeroed at 50yds using 10xmag it's 1 mildot down at 30yds, 1 up at 80yds and 2 up at 100yds.

It works acceptably with a Cobra and with an illuminated ret it is great for lamping.

You can probably pick something similar up SH for your budget.

Buy once, cry once. Ive got a decent Meopta 7x50 and I love it, very good clear glass and never lost its zero, knocked over hundreds of bunnies ect. Nice thick german #4 ret on the outside with a lovely thin crosshair in the middle. If I was going to change I would get a 6x42/8x56 Schmidt and Bender. But the Meopta is a touch below the optical clarity.

I used to be in the camp with as much mag as possible and the biggest oblective possible. Now I look for simplicity. With a decent fioxed mag scope, you will NEVER lose money, there always in high demands, and its just up, aim, and crack. In the bag.

Make the right choice.

Been through shed loads of scopes on my .22LR but I am now firmly in the 6x42 camp, I bought a second hand Leupold FX-III and it's not coming off now. So sharp and bright under the lamp, I'd had plenty of scopes on there that I was happy with but the Leup is in a different league to Hawke/MTC etc.

As said above, if you can find a nice Meopta, Schibby, Pecar, Leupold (or Redfield) in fixed mag for a price you're willing to pay, then you won't beat that.