how much lead to give pigeons

andrew mabbett

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi,

I have just started out shooting pigeons I have shot plenty of pheasants and rabbits but I must say I cant seem to shoot a pigeon

I was wondering if someone could give me some info on how much lead I need at so many yards and at a cretin hight e.c.t would much appreciate it

Andrew

An impossible question to answer, mate. As the guy above says, practice and more practice. Have a go at some clays. Get someone to randomly launch different targets so you don't know what's coming next.

had this before if i remember rightly gave same answer, depends on how far away or close the bird is from you and how fast or slow its travelling its not so much a measure of lead its more instinct than anything else, you give the bird the lead you think and feel is right.

Edited by yickdaz

Keep the gun moving right through the trigger pull. I find if I go through a lot of missing it's because I was decelerating my gun as it approached the target. Sorted now shot two pheasants and a woodcock with 4 shots yesterday ;)

Yeh that's a major problem. It's much easier to do on a clay ground.

Many shooters are just too keen to see if they've got a kill, so snatch at the shot instead of following through on the swing.

Short answer = a lot more than your giving them :good:

Practice and being with someone that can watch and give advice to where your shot is going helps (Ash W),eye dominance test (Alan,hitclays),a gun that fits and you use regulary,the same cartridge and favoured choke,keeping to a range you know works,these all helped me to hit more birds this year and the fact that i need TWICE the lead in left to right as opposed to right to left,after that you just get to know where to track through or just up and bang without even thinking it just becomes instant.

Get someone who can shoot pigeons to watch you :good:

I use a very common phrase off here, bum,belly,beak,bang and follow it through and = dead bird. Everyone is different and like everyone has said our eyesight and what we consider to be lead all plays part of it because what I see as lead may result you missing behind so we all have to find out for ourselves and there is no definate answer Do what I done and get on clays constantly then you won't be far wrong. Take vampires advice and get your eye dominance tested and gun fit it all helps... Happy shooting :)

Keep the gun moving right through the trigger pull. I find if I go through a lot of missing it's because I was decelerating my gun as it approached the target. Sorted now shot two pheasants and a woodcock with 4 shots yesterday ;)

that is correct. Speed of barrel movement through the target is the key, get those barrels shifting FAST and dont dwell on the aim point to 'make sure'. I dont do many pigeons and those I do are generally on phesant days and they are usually a lot further that the pheasants. At a similar distance they wont want as much as you give pheasants.

A

Edited by Alycidon

hi,

I have just started out shooting pigeons I have shot plenty of pheasants and rabbits but I must say I cant seem to shoot a pigeon

I was wondering if someone could give me some info on how much lead I need at so many yards and at a cretin hight e.c.t would much appreciate it

Andrew

always shot rabbits n pigeons but recently applied for a sgc and while waitng ive had a couple of clay lessons ,locally at lowes lane-best thing i ever did, the coach explained lead distance, gun height flowing with the bird,not rushing the shot where your aiming and how to fit the gun to your self properly well worth your time m8.nothing to lose everthing to gain but dont get addicted to clays they take to long to cook LOL

that is correct. Speed of barrel movement through the target is the key, get those barrels shifting FAST and dont dwell on the aim point to 'make sure'. I dont do many pigeons and those I do are generally on phesant days and they are usually a lot further that the pheasants. At a similar distance they wont want as much as you give pheasants.

A

:lol: :lol:

You've nether shot pigeons in high winds on a flight line then :P

The joy of pigeon shooting is it's the bird that will give you every shot you can think of and then sum .

Best advice i can give you is to have a go on a good sporting layout (clays) will stand you in good stead :good:

". While pheasants are able to fly fast for short distances, they prefer to run. If startled however, they will burst to the sky in a "flush." Their flight speed is 27 to 38 mph when cruising but when chased they can fly up to 60 mph."

http://iowapf.org/page/1100/IowaPheasantHistory---Facts.jsp

Edited by utectok

Weirdly I have been shooting terribly the last year and someone told me to close one eye today....... Kill ratio went right up, seems that my left I was trying to take over when focusing on the bird which In turn was giving me incorrect lead and causing me to stop the gun. Once I did this I had 6 birds for 8 shots :good:

Weirdly I have been shooting terribly the last year and someone told me to close one eye today....... Kill ratio went right up, seems that my left I was trying to take over when focusing on the bird which In turn was giving me incorrect lead and causing me to stop the gun. Once I did this I had 6 birds for 8 shots :good:

Have you checked your eye dominance? Could be cross dominant or left eye dominant

Have you checked your eye dominance? Could be cross dominant or left eye dominant

Yes I have had my eyes tested and done the hand trick thing and I'm right eye dominant and right handed but for some reason I shoot better with my left eye closed ? I am long sighted and my right is the weaker eye so I wonder if it has anything to do with that ?