Snow chains or socks

welshwarrior

Never used chains but I have used the socks for the last 2 years.

They work fantastic on ice, I slid backwards down a road (solid ice) to a shoot all 4 wheels locked, I put the socks on and drove straight up no problems.

I used them to get up the farm lane every day when it snowed last year, they are very easy to put on.

They have limitations though, they are designed to get you home or get you from bad side roads to treated main roads. Mine have lasted 2 years because I drive slow with them on (15 mph) and take them straight off when conditions allow, abuse them and they will be wrecked in one day.

They are simple to put on, easy to carry in the car with no risk of damage to the car if you don't put them on right, I am not going to get into the debate which is better, but for the price and ease of use for my **** in snow rear wheel drive car I cannot recommend them highly enough.

But don't think you can just leave them on and travel 30+ mph on treated roads they will not last but you also should not do that with snow chains either.

:good:

Edited by timps

I won't be using any on my 4x4 :P

Serves you right for getting an audi with 22" rims and road slick :rolleyes:

Joking aside socks wear out, chains dont so much. Also snow socks are only good in snow, at least with chains they dig into the ice and grip

They are only 21" rims :P

Snow chains, a good pair will last you a good while.

or by a proper 4x4 :lol:

Proper 4X4 it may not be and so I was told last week on a driven day but when I pulled a Landy 110 up a muddy hill he was stuck on the criticism stopped.

I'll admit now the land was only stuck because his gear linkage broke and it was stuck in 4th still got him most places. Q7 suits my need and the wife wouldn't let me get a Range Rover or Disco.

How much money do you want to spend? :hmm: Snow socks = £50-70 DECENT chains (that won't break everytime you drive on thin/no snow) = £200-400 :sly:

For the conditions local to me - large snow ice patches, not constant thick covering for miles and miles, snow socks are the only way to go :good:

Mark

Edited by Breastman

Whilst it will initially cost you more I'd try to locate some steel wheels that fit and use snow tyres. That way you can swap them on for the occasional bit of snow and ice we get for a couple of months a year - and it saves your alloys from the occasional kerb strike.

If you have never driven with snow tyres be ready to be astounded at the difference in grip and predicability. That I absolutely promise you! When you factor in the decreased likelyhood of a minor crumple you will be quids in. If your partner drives the car with the kids etc the extra piece of mind is immeasurable.