Snow chains or socks

welshwarrior

Doesn't matter if you have a 4x2 or a 4x4, fit WINTER TYRES. The chances of losing control are far greater in a 4x4 than a 4x2 when braking or cornering as they are far heavier. Also the amount of times you would need to fit chains or socks would be geatly reduced too :yes:

For larger size winter tyres try KELLY which is a daughter company of Good Year :good:

Edited by Redditch

While I agree with winter tyres, the huge expense in buying them and another set of rims for some users is prohibitive to be honest. For example, for my Disco 3 another set of rims is anywhere between £200 and £500, and winter tyres are around £200 a corner. A decent set of chains is £150, a cheap set £40.

Also, some 4x4 users have AT or MT tyres on for a reason - we need to get around in the mud. Not much use having a road based winter tyre on for the 4 days a year we have snow but then getting stuck every day or weekend when out and about on your land/shoot/lanes or whatever. I know winter tyres are better in cold weather too btw, but at the minute I don't think they are a viable option.

I can only find PIRELLI 295/35R21 107V SCORPION ICE & SNOW. I can only fit 295/35/21 R0 Audi Fitting they are over £350 per tyre and can only be used in 7*c and below it was 10 here last week. Chains or socks living the car and I can fit them not have to drive to the garage.

I'd love to get a extra set of wheels and winter tyres but even the 18 will cost me over a grand if I buy second hand rims.

Kelly don't make an R0 tyre

While I agree with winter tyres, the huge expense in buying them and another set of rims for some users is prohibitive to be honest. For example, for my Disco 3 another set of rims is anywhere between £200 and £500, and winter tyres are around £200 a corner. A decent set of chains is £150, a cheap set £40.

Also, some 4x4 users have AT or MT tyres on for a reason - we need to get around in the mud. Not much use having a road based winter tyre on for the 4 days a year we have snow but then getting stuck every day or weekend when out and about on your land/shoot/lanes or whatever. I know winter tyres are better in cold weather too btw, but at the minute I don't think they are a viable option.

Too right, I have insa turbo special traks and they work brilliantly on snow, pretty terrible on ice but then so is a road tyre. Given the choice muds made more sense for me.

Ok bought socks as there is limited space behind the front wheels to the suspension. I'll keep looking for some cheap used 18 inch alloys and then winter tyres

http://www.comp.co.uk/wheels/wheels.asp?size=18%22+Motorsport+Wheels I would contact compomotive as they are UK manufacturer and my be able to do a deal on some seconds or similar and get Some Nokians http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=11195214&group=2.01&name=Nokian+WR+G2+SUV The 265/45R21 108 V XL would probably fit (skinnier but that not a bad thing on ice!)

I have a full set of winter wheels in garage - all ready to go on - One problem - SWMBO headbutted her sisters house a month ago - £5k worth of repairs and was expecting it back today or tomorrow

Got call this morning - It's all done except one part and it on MEGGA back order - he said at least 3 weeks !!!!! - seems she hit a metal planter before the wall and punctured the oil pan for auto gearbox :/ :/ :/

I am really p-e-e-d off as we have a basic Ford Ka as courtesy car - and manual to boot (talk about basic) - took me ages to find out how to open windows and have to lean over to lock passenger door :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just hope to hell we don't get snow before Hodnet Challenge

Dave

• 2 weeks later...