Spaniel men

Hup

OK, mate, you got me. The best translation of the above is to declare that Oz allows all gundogs to run their retriever field trials. Clear enough? - or is it still as undecipherable as a mud fence? :lol:

MG

That's a concise way of describing half a page of Americo-Gaelic gibberish - Thanks.

I have just realised that there are several German Spaniels in our beating line. These descriptions are from the breed pages;

It is solidly-built which allows it to retrieve heavy game such as hares and foxes
aggressive hunters
but require a lot of exercise and must be leashed when walked to avoid problems of chasing cats. The Wachtelhund has a strong hunting desire and are noted for going in for the kill. In rural locations, they can be walked off the leash, they may run into the woods

:lol:

Intrestingly the Germans don't class them as spaniels. :hmm:

Edited by UKPoacher

Interesting, ain't it? The Deutschers may not classify kurzhaars as pointers, or as German short-haired pointers - as everyone else does, either. As many of them are in fact not trained for pointing in their place of origin. (Many in the US meanwhile couldn't be anything but German short-haired pointers - as they've had pointer blood infused here over the years.)

As for wachtels, they may be about to fall victim to having their breed description shortened globally as happened in the US with the epagneul Breton - known now only as a Brittany (no more epagneul or spaniel). Same could happen with Boykins - lose the spaniel, since 99% of them are worked as nonslip retrievers.

Oh, and if I may, Clive: it ain't gibberish if it's got facts behind it. :lol:

MG

Edited by cracker

Interesting, ain't it? The Deutschers may not classify kurzhaars as pointers, or as German short-haired pointers - as everyone else does, either. As many of them are in fact not trained for pointing in their place of origin. (Many in the US meanwhile couldn't be anything but German short-haired pointers - as they've had pointer blood infused here over the years.)

As for wachtels, they may be about to fall victim to having their breed description shortened globally as happened in the US with the epagneul Breton - known now only as a Brittany (no more epagneul or spaniel). Same could happen with Boykins - lose the spaniel, since 99% of them are worked as nonslip retrievers.

Oh, and if I may, Clive: it ain't gibberish if it's got facts behind it. :lol:

MG

It's not what you say. It's how you said it. Me speakee Engrish ;)

Doggone it, straight - every thread you cling to like a snapping turtle with a crooked bite and somebody's got to come 'round and "straighten" you out.

MG

Please make sure she is 6ft tall, blonde and wrapped in the stars and stripes! Straightened out I will certainly be :good:

Hup, know this has gone a little circuitous and know Texas is a Texas-sized state, but have you been in touch with Dave "Strong" Jones or Martin Bell by any chance about training for trials?MG

Judging by this (your last sentence), the penny has dropped :rolleyes:

Edited by straightbarrel

I would personally say make sure you have the tools for the job within yourself first, then start to question whether or not you have a dog that is capable or not. The post above is quite right though, Ian Openshaw has a record second to none as an owner, trainer, handler and breeder. Only fair to add that his wife has played a massive part in the success of their kennels also.

My second post on this subject :thanks:

Forgetting the side tracking about German monsterhundts that fight bears and retrieve tigers lets go back to the original problem; A spaniel, it has to be a spaniel, running out of energy when its competitors don't on a bird dog trial.

Firstly, have the dog vetted. Apart from obvious respiritory / pulmanory problems things like bad teeth or athritis can cause stress that saps a dog's strength.

Secondly, is the dog getting enough of the right type of exercise to prepare it for trials?

Thirdly, is the dog's diet conducive to providing enough energy for work? Diet can make a big difference to a dog's performance. Check with an animal nutritionalist.

Finally, is the dog focussed on the task in hand at the start? Some spaniels run round like headless chickens and only when they begin to tire or stumble on a bird do they switch onto the task in hand.

On a trial when the weather is hot and if rules and conditions allow; try dowsing the dog with water immediately prior to the start. The evaporation will cool the dog.