dog for roughshooting

PotHunter96

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are they good at bringing pigoens to you they are french arnt they do they understand the normal commands like

Not only do they bring them back but they have usually breasted them and done them in a white wine sauce,my only complaint is the amount of garlic added :lol:

I couldn't manage French ,so the dog is learning Spanish as I find I am better at this language :good:

Go for a Clumber - Dare to be different :rolleyes:

My second choice,if shmbo would let me,i would have one like a shot, but from proper working lines not the crufts version :good:

Edited by welsh1

as for the cross versions of gundogs my feind has just got a spandex not long ago and it is looking good for a puppy

they are a bit of a gamble he said ccos you dont know how big they will grow to but if they are trained well they might be able to do everything that spaniels can do pluz more

Cross bred dogs are always a gamble in many ways especially with regards to health checks etc, also you can get the bad traits from each breed I would always advise against getting a cross bred dog atb

you want a spaniel......simples!

and its got to be a cocker!!!!!!

yea biased opinion but here was my thinking when i got mine,

wanted to different to start,, wanted a dog to rough shoot, im in a syndicate so shoot pheasant she will haunt all day has great nose will put birds from anywhere on the drive :yp: :yp: more due to my training...lol

have lots of rough ground for woodcock etc aint no dog better at finding them,, on yesturday's shoot 2 springers covered a fallen tree nothin along comes my cocker jumps down out comes the wood cock :rolleyes: ....

also we have flight ponds no probs loves the ducks loves the water retrieves no bother

finally and most inportant in my decision was the dog was going to be a pet for the rest of the year she is the most easy going lazy sod ive ever ceen currently sleeping on back of chair in front of the window great with my 2yr old daughter very affectionate they dont like being rough treated and yes they are stubborn but as i have worked out with mine if she runs past the cover 99% of the time there is nothing there no need to force them in but if she catches a scent not even the thickest bramble will keep her out

so in conclusion GET A COCKER! :good: