PotHunter96

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you want a spaniel......simples!

and its got to be a cocker!!!!!!

yea biased opinion but here was my thinking when i got mine,

wanted to different to start,, wanted a dog to rough shoot, im in a syndicate so shoot pheasant she will haunt all day has great nose will put birds from anywhere on the drive :yp: :yp: more due to my training...lol

have lots of rough ground for woodcock etc aint no dog better at finding them,, on yesturday's shoot 2 springers covered a fallen tree nothin along comes my cocker jumps down out comes the wood cock :rolleyes: ....

also we have flight ponds no probs loves the ducks loves the water retrieves no bother

finally and most inportant in my decision was the dog was going to be a pet for the rest of the year she is the most easy going lazy sod ive ever ceen currently sleeping on back of chair in front of the window great with my 2yr old daughter very affectionate they dont like being rough treated and yes they are stubborn but as i have worked out with mine if she runs past the cover 99% of the time there is nothing there no need to force them in but if she catches a scent not even the thickest bramble will keep her out

so in conclusion GET A COCKER! :good:

:stupid::good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

as for the cross versions of gundogs my feind has just got a spandex not long ago and it is looking good for a puppy

they are a bit of a gamble he said ccos you dont know how big they will grow to but if they are trained well they might be able to do everything that spaniels can do pluz more

My wife wanted a spandex but I wasn't sure I could stretch to it. Anyway in the end we went for it, but I have to say she's a lousy gundog, seems to spook the birds so perhaps we did go for the wrong colour.

post-11433-0-07989200-1324333110.jpg

Edited by Diceman

My wife wanted a spandex but I wasn't sure I could stretch to it. Anyway in the end we went for it, but I have to say she's a lousy gundog, seems to spook the birds so perhaps we did go for the wrong colour.

P.M.S.L :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by tigger

• 4 months later...

the time has come for me to get a nice easy dog that will be used for roughshooting and the odd bit of decoying or duck shooting the dog will be staying in the house and will be a pet as well as a worker i have narrowed it down to 3 options:a labrador as i think that although not as good at flushing they will retrieve things for me and that is my main interest number 2:a lurcher as i like these types of dog and again while not as good at flushing they will retrieve things and number 3: some kind of terrier as i like the terriers thay are my favourite breed of dog and they will be good at bashing brambles and rushes but as i will mainly be shooting rabbits woodcock and pheasants in VERY thick cover i dont know how reliable at retrieving they are i have ruled out spaniels because of the ear problems. any suggestions appreciated.

I was in the same situation as you last year.

I wanted a family dog that I could use for wildfowling, pigeon shooting, rough and walked up shooting.

The only dog that fitted the bill (in my eyes) was a spaniel.

I was concerned about getting a dog with too many trial winning lines etc, as I thought potentially having such a ''hot'' dog would be too much for me and a good dog would be wasted in my inexperienced hands.

I waited for the right dog and picked carefully, I chose a dog that came from a working home and had good working parents (which I asked to see being worked before I committed to the sale).

I ended up with Holly, shes just over a year old now and I couldn't be more pleased with her, shes been relatively easy to train and has learnt very quickly :good:

A few pics and Little vid for you :good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHhMbadcJiI&feature=relmfu

post-11306-0-91252200-1335693608.jpg

post-11306-0-53140300-1335693629.jpg

post-11306-0-49156900-1335693666.jpg

post-11306-0-83281100-1335693741.jpg

post-11306-0-85066800-1335693764.jpg

What about a Viszla? pick up anything, flush retrieve and will retrieve from water?

386383_10150960812245251_657535250_21553179_1161718617_n.jpg

Or a Bracco Italiano will will also do all of the above!!!

375668_10150960810890251_657535250_21553164_1692298975_n.jpg

Both eaiser to train than spaniles and you dont end end up with matted coats sticky burrrs etc ZIMPLES

• 2 months later...

Hi mate,

just putting a fresh view on things here. Ive had working labs all my life tried an ess, not my cup of tea. I got given a spanador pup (lab x ess) and i must admit he's exceeded all my expectations. As like most people i wasnt overly keen on a cross. Wid is 3 yrs old now and well into his stride theres nowt that phases him. He hunts like a spaniel when im game shooting, he can track a pricked pheasant down no matter how far its run and hes just at home on the forshaw shooting ducks and geese, 100 mtr retreives no problem for him and hes just as at home sitting in a hide, though he does get a little bored and go for a wander every now and agian, but hey they all do. As for stamina he never stops lol. My only problems with him is hes slow maturing and can get a bit over enthusiastic at times. He's as big as a lab with the get up and go of a spaniel. He's also kept indoors as a pet, no probs on that front either.

Anyways thats just my point of view mate.

Dave

I was in the same situation as you last year.

I wanted a family dog that I could use for wildfowling, pigeon shooting, rough and walked up shooting.

The only dog that fitted the bill (in my eyes) was a spaniel.

I was concerned about getting a dog with too many trial winning lines etc, as I thought potentially having such a ''hot'' dog would be too much for me and a good dog would be wasted in my inexperienced hands.

I waited for the right dog and picked carefully, I chose a dog that came from a working home and had good working parents (which I asked to see being worked before I committed to the sale).

I ended up with Holly, shes just over a year old now and I couldn't be more pleased with her, shes been relatively easy to train and has learnt very quickly :good:

A few pics and Little vid for you :good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHhMbadcJiI&feature=relmfu

Looks like you did the right thing. trialing blood is all well and good but too much of it is a bad thing in the wrong hands :good: Before anyone jumps down my throat on this one (as i am not a trialer) a very respected trialer said these very words to me two days ago.