Police targeting of shoot vehicles

Blunderbuss

I was at a clay shoot once where a guy was nipping from a hip flask from time to time. This was about 11am.

He's of the complaining 'should have changed chokes, should have brought other gun' brigade that we all know and love.

I like a drink as much (if not more than) as the next man but I have to say it was a bit disconcerting, especially as the person seemed agitated when he missed, which was quite frequent.

I don't think guns and drinking mixes well. Perhaps a traditional nip at an organised shoot but that's it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learnt my lesson years ago when I was young and neive...lucky that I only kerbed my car but I said from then never again...

I use to get pulled alot when I was driving home from work at 4/5am and I did not mind..record was 14 times in 14 days over Xmas...but if it instills the message then I dont mind the hassle at all...

As to a 0 limit I would disagree as it would ruin alot of businesses.

I dont think ruining businesses is really an argument against a zero drink limit, one death because of alcohol is too much, IT works in other countrys.

My wife and me went out last night I drank all night -- cola, it didnt stop me enjoying myself and wont stop anyone else and by the price of the cola it was not denting the profits of the pub we went too, its this missdirected historial attitude we seem to have about booze.

One country I lived and worked in, alcohol was the national past time, I dont scare easily but being driven from Capetown to Joburg by someone who started drinking when we left and didnt stop till we got there !!! back seat and boot full of Lion lager(similar in taste to brake fluid) make your grip very tight.

I like a beer myself and enjoy whiskey, Sloe gin and a whole lot more but I choose not too, my driving licence, gun licence and all the other related issues-interest that go with driving are more important to me than liquid pleasure, not sure how I would feel about myself the morning after I had caused the injury/death of any person, persons, child/children.

Alan

Edited by Alanl50

I have been under the impression that your SGC was at risk if you were caught speeding let alone drink/driving!

If it isn't then perhaps it should be as it could only have a positive effect on shooters who do drink at shoots.

I like a drink but never have much the day before if I know I'm shooting the next day and I certainly don't drink and drive, ever!

GH

It really is quite simple.

Would you load a rifle, point it at someone who you have never seen before and pull the trigger, hoping for a misfire ?

Same with drink/drug driving, you load up the car point it down the road and will, eventually, kill someone or yourself. Preferably the latter before the former.

Zero tolerance is the only way forward.

Think about those families who have suffered a bereavment because some selfish b****** needed a few drinks, especially at Christmas.

Its murder and should attract the same penalty.

I think the limit is fine as it is. I'd say most of the population can still function fine after one drink and it does give the sensible driver a small margin for error with his maths if he drives the next day. I always work with 1 hour per unit plus an hour which apparently is a safe margin. Sometimes after a good night out I will leave the car alone the whole of the next day and if I need to go out the mrs takes me.

At shoots I will take a sip of sloe gin or something similar. Just a drop - under a 25ml measure of something that's what, 20% alcohol doesn't mean I'm going to kill a bus load of kids! There's a huge difference between a respectful sip and downing a dozen glasses and weaving your way home. :yes:

EDIT... Three people I knew from school have died so far from drink related accidents. Two were at fault so hard luck but one wasn't. She died in a car being driven by someone who was drunk but she didn't know so got in.

Edited by njc110381

Depends entirely on how much you drink and your metabolic rate.

I'm not against a limit, even the one we have.

Zero tolerance should be shown to anyone who is over that limit.

If the limit is zero - thats ok too - anyone who wants to drink needs a day to sober up for certain i.e. 12 hours after drinking.

Speed cameras allow 2mph and X% of the limit before prosecution is undertaken, the same notional flexibility could be available for a zero limit - after all zero is a lot less than the 80 or even 20 Mg/ML we currently have.

I think the limit is fine as it is. I'd say most of the population can still function fine after one drink and it does give the sensible driver a small margin for error with his maths if he drives the next day. I always work with 1 hour per unit plus an hour which apparently is a safe margin. Sometimes after a good night out I will leave the car alone the whole of the next day and if I need to go out the mrs takes me.

At shoots I will take a sip of sloe gin or something similar. Just a drop - under a 25ml measure of something that's what, 20% alcohol doesn't mean I'm going to kill a bus load of kids! There's a huge difference between a respectful sip and downing a dozen glasses and weaving your way home. :yes:

Totally agree. I wetted my mouth with some ginger wine yesterday to be sociable and polite, literally one gob full. Sadly there were a few there to whom the concept of restraint was an alien one :no:

The problem with a zero limit, as several others have already pointed out is that no one knows at what point after drinking you are back to "zero". If zero really means zero, you could get people being done for a tiny amount of residual alcohol a day after a glass of wine or a couple of days after a heavy party? The current 80mg rule allows a small fudge factor to cater for this. Again, already pointed out, but most people who take the **** already exceed the current limit by a significant margin, so aren't going to be bothered by a lower one.

Edited by Blunderbuss

As someone whose partner was knocked down by a drunk driver who was 4x the limit, and who went to prison for 3months as a result I really can't see the need to drink at all when shooting and that is regardless of whether you are going to drive afterwards or not.

Don't suppose the driver was speeding as well which appears to be acceptable!

Totally agree. I wetted my mouth with some ginger wine yesterday to be sociable and polite, literally one gob full. Sadly there were a few there to whom the concept of restraint was an alien one :no:

The problem with a zero limit, as several others have already pointed out is that no one knows at what point after drinking you are back to "zero". If zero really means zero, you could get people being done for a tiny amount of residual alcohol a day after a glass of wine or a couple of days after a heavy party? The current 80mg rule allows a small fudge factor to cater for this. Again, already pointed out, but most people who take the **** already exceed the current limit by a significant margin, so aren't going to be bothered by a lower one.

That is my point YOU DONT KNOW, and if you dont know your not safe.

Try and imagine yourself waking up in a police cell with the realisation you have just injured or killed some one, your family suffer and as for the victims family :no:

Im not talking about the hardened peehead, there day will come, whats the solution all frequent and social drinkers have to buy a breathalizer unit and keep blowing till there safe, or maybe have your ignition wired to one, over the top and yor vehicle wont start, nows theres a thought!!!!

There is no argument for drink driving.

Alan

That is my point YOU DONT KNOW, and if you dont know your not safe.

Try and imagine yourself waking up in a police cell with the realisation you have just injured or killed some one, your family suffer and as for the victims family :no:

Im not talking about the hardened peehead, there day will come, whats the solution all frequent and social drinkers have to buy a breathalizer unit and keep blowing till there safe, or maybe have your ignition wired to one, over the top and yor vehicle wont start, nows theres a thought!!!!

There is no argument for drink driving.

Alan

In which case drivers should never, ever drink. Total abstinence, not a teetotaller? Then no driving licence for you matey. Because otherwise how would they know at what point all the alcohol in their system from their last drink of a couple of days ago, or a bowl of sherry trifle, a chocolate liqueur or whatever has dissipated so they are not 0.000001% over a legal limit of zero. I am absolutely not defending drinking and driving, I abhor it. But I do think an absolute zero limit would be problematic for these reasons.

Edited by Blunderbuss

I dispise drink/drug drivers and have had to pull the remains of adults and children out of vehicles on many occasions and its always the guilty party who walks away and the innocent whom do not i dont think the penalties are severe enough i think you should lose your license on the second offence maybe that would get a few more of the scum off the road :yes:

Problem is even when they loose their license it doesn't stop them driving, how many young drunk/drugged drivers offend only once?. As you say there should be stiffer penalties and they should be used, young T@@t near here ran over a kid on a bike, on the pavement when he was too pi@@ed to drive, got a whole 3 months ban to be put on his license if and when he ever gets one!.

In fact here's one from today, "A Liverpool man who took over driving for his friend when he was over the drink drive limit, without a licence or insurance was fined £400 and disqualified for three years." How can you disqualify someone who doesn't have a license in the first place?, didn't stop him driving and having a ban probably won't stop him doing it again, ridiculous.

Edited by phaedra1106

As much as I hate my sons complete addiction to his X box, it is real good fun. He has a racing game, I think its called forza, if I pick the right car for the track and really concentrate I can give him a run for his money, add a can of John Smiths at 3.8% and I can't touch him. It goes to prove,even though you don't notice the effect of the alcohol at all it alters your reaction time more than you think. Zero limit is the only way.

I've driven drunk a few times, but only when I didn't have any other choice. Not totally wasted, mind you, just a little over the limit (.08 over here). I'm a great drunk driver, plus I have the added luxury of my sister dating a cop who gives us the heads up on where all the DUI checkpoints are. :lol:

I've driven drunk a few times, but only when I didn't have any other choice. Not totally wasted, mind you, just a little over the limit (.08 over here). I'm a great drunk driver, plus I have the added luxury of my sister dating a cop who gives us the heads up on where all the DUI checkpoints are. :lol:

Can't get a taxi any more then?

I really hope you are just trying to wind people up and that is not your real attitude towards it. Either way I doubt many on this forum are 'lolling' with you.

On a shoot a few years ago, pheasant got up very close and I watched it as it flew between me and the next peg only to be looking down two barrels. Chucked myself in the sugar beet as he pulled the trigger. Turned out he'd been 'nipping' at his hip flask all morning.

If you must drink, don't drive and don't play with guns. It's not difficult is it?

If its a joke - its in very poor taste after seeing a family detroyed only a few weeks ago.

If its not a joke, Im afraid the swear blocker would stop Me from telling You what I think of You, the only saving grace is that You cant hurt My family from over the pond.

Edited by Devon Fox

If its a joke - its in very poor taste after seeing a family detroyed only a few weeks ago.

If its not a joke, Im afraid the swear blocker would stop Me from telling You what I think of You, the only saving grace is that You cant hurt My family from over the pond.

Well Said Sir !! :thumbs: