first stalk

rabbit_stu

With my 21st looming I had the perfect excuse to book a stalking trip, and through recomendation of a few members of pw I was in contact with ianf. Ian provided a fantastic beginner package, with all the information emailed and plenty of advice about what to expect and bring. On arriving at Ian and Joe's fantastic home/hunting lodge I felt more than welcome. After an initial discussion of the weekends proceedings and my stuff dropped in my room, we headed off to Ian's range. I the learning began. After covering the kit involved and field postions with both a .22 and .270. I later found the true extend of how important the few hours I spent on the range would be. I left feeling confident with my ability and fully understood what would happen in the field. Something I found very reassuring as a novice. Later we went for a little mooch with no success, however beautiful weather and scenery and a few deer spotted the wrong aide of the border! Home for a beautiful bit of home cooked grub and some interesting toffee vodka. With a six a clock start, clear skys and a crisp frost on the ground we set off. Seeing a group of 8 fallow deer we began stalking through some woodland to try and cut them off and I suddenly stated flooding with excitement! After a couple hundred yard stalk through the woods we were nearing the clearing where the fallow were, and i wouldn't be surprised if my heart thumping had managed to spook them but they had moved on. With that a roe doe sprang across the path 60 yards ahead into some rushes, the sticks were placed, I adopted a kneel and lined up the cross hairs. The beast drop where it stood, and my heart finally gave up trying to escape my chest! Ian then took me.through the gralloch process from start to finish, all was left was to carry it back in the roe sack! Carrying it yourself makes it feel more yours I'm told.... ;) I would fully recommend Ian and will be returning. The knowledge and experience gained is fantastic, and the sucess of a deer complimented a perfect weekend. Thanks Ian and Joe for your hospitality and a 21st birthday I will never,ever forget. I'll try add a few photos soon. Stuart

Hi Stu,

A real pleasure to get together for a couple days - you certainly progressed with your shooting & that was shown nicely when you had the chance of a snap shot at 60m. Jo was impressed at the way you attacked her food & we are really looking forward to seeing you again. Over-all, an excellent result to finish an enjoyable couple of days! :good:

@ Quist; Think I have worked out who you are - as I recall you have put your fair share of venison on the ground during your visits. I'm not likely to forget dragging that Red Hind through the snow for a long time yet! :blink:

Best from us all,

Ian, Jo ... & the pack!

Hi Stuart, really enjoyed your write up,excellent. Sounds like you had a great weekend in the company of some real professionals.

I am hoping to take my 1st stalk sometime next year so i read this with some enthusiasm.

Well done,bet you're looking forward to the next one now :yes:

ATB,

Pat

pat g: yes the next trips funding is now being worked into the christmas/holiday fund ;) for a first stalk it was hugely benifical to have done the work on the range the day before as the confidence i had when i came to taking the shot meant i could enjoy it all the more. not sure where you are but if you can meet up with ian... do it! all the best for next year mate :good: