Springer ranging to far

dbroe333

Hello i have a young springer who i have had out since the 1st november.He used to be ok but recently he is ranging out and running around when out shooting.I only do roughshooting and i cant get him to go in ditch and work it down with out me in it.How can i get him hunting close and not running off

Sorry to be blunt, but those that know me will tell you that is how I am - You should have trained him before you started hunting him. A new dog will always pull a little from its initial training, but you should have seen this happening and correct it at the time. Once he has learned to range (or run riot) then you have got your work cut out.

Go back to basics, teach him to STOP - this will be invaluable in stopping him going to far, as you can simply stop him, calm him, and re-direct him.

Teach him to hunt his ground tight to you - you a combination of hand and body to do this, combined with the turn whistle - but I would suggest only introducing the turn whistle once he is turning in response to hand and body movement.

NEVER let him range.

Mike

Ooops! too early, as miliser says get on the stop wistle. What is it they say "a springer that obeys the stop is half trained". Now if the blighter pointed and held point we might be getting somewere :lol:

Keep it real and keep it fun, most things can be fixed if you recognise them and take action soon enough :good: