Fox Calibres

12borejimbo

now now,we all know why you aint got a 243 "you wasnt allowed one" you have openly admitted that,not that you dont want one,if you were only allowed a 222 Iam sure that would be the best thing since sliced bread aswell,look dont be ashamed you had to settle for a 22.250 which is a great caliber I shot one for years BUT the 243 is better,shame you will never get to find out :lol::lol::lol:

maybe if you would have taken advice like the OP hopefully has yopu too could be up with the big boys calibers :good:

Whatever Mr .243 Almighty!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now now,we all know why you aint got a 243 "you wasnt allowed one" you have openly admitted that,not that you dont want one,if you were only allowed a 222 Iam sure that would be the best thing since sliced bread aswell,look dont be ashamed you had to settle for a 22.250 which is a great caliber I shot one for years BUT the 243 is better,shame you will never get to find out :lol::lol::lol:

maybe if you would have taken advice like the OP hopefully has yopu too could be up with the big boys calibers :good:

You really could pick a fight in an empty room.

A mate shoots 22.250, and Ive never shot anything that He couldnt of,It is a nice round, the 243 is ideal for Me as its fox with occasional deer, and I would be shooting a different caliber if I didnt need the ability to take deer on occasions.

You really could pick a fight in an empty room.

A mate shoots 22.250, and Ive never shot anything that He couldnt of,It is a nice round, the 243 is ideal for Me as its fox with occasional deer, and I would be shooting a different caliber if I didnt need the ability to take deer on occasions.

pick a fight :blink: some of you boys shouldnt be so sensitive,just prooving a point old boy,Iam sure anyone shooting a 222 will shoot anything that a 22.250 or a 243 can,within its own limitations of course,you can shoot all 6 deer speices your mate cant,not in england any way

you chose a 243 as it fitted what you wanted it to do,bullet boy wasnt allowed a 243 so he had to go 22.250 thats the difference,

anyway point proven I hope the OP gets what he wants,what he really really wants :P :o

Edited by Ackley

What the hecks going on here- guys calm down! The OP wanted 300yds max thats perfectly doable with a .223, you realy don't need to burn twice the powder to achieve that performance level

Good advice there mate!You just can't tell some people,not mentioning any names!I gave my opinion-that's what the forum is for,giving out advice and also expressing opinions but some clown on here gotta be a wind-up merchant as well-there's no need of it!!

I love how people defend there calibre to the end on here :D

there all great calibres each have there = and - points.

i have shot foxes with friends. and we have used 17 fireball, 204, 222, 223, 22/250, 6br, 243.

all have been more then up to the job. if you get the chance to shoot deer then try get the 243 as it will cover everything you need.

i love the 22/250 but then it was the 1st cf calibre I had so that's why I got a soft spot for the calibre. also I shoot really well with my rpa 22/250 its very nice to shoot. so why change that ?

for paid stalks or going deer staking with friends i got myself a cheap 270 it sits in the gun cabinet till i need it. and as its cheap i dont mind that.

243 would be easier sometimes to have instead of 22/250. many times i have had the chance of roe in the evening well out waiting for foxes at last light. but because of the **** law this side of the border i cant take them with the 22/250. :/

out and out foxing though its class. and so are the 17 cf's :yes:

Edited by jamie g

The point here is that originally a 243 was selected for future deer capability, and refused as a plain fox calibre.

The OP needs to justify the 243; his reason is sound but not in the eyes of El Plod. The debate about killing foxes is pointless - you can kill one with an air rifle for crying out loud.

The reason for the plod is humane killing at longer ranges due to the ground, and if not that then get the farmer to sign off deer, even if none are to be shot.

The point here is that originally a 243 was selected for future deer capability, and refused as a plain fox calibre.

The OP needs to justify the 243; his reason is sound but not in the eyes of El Plod. The debate about killing foxes is pointless - you can kill one with an air rifle for crying out loud.

The reason for the plod is humane killing at longer ranges due to the ground, and if not that then get the farmer to sign off deer, even if none are to be shot.

No you can't unless your the calous type who likes to make things suffer :angry:

To everyone who has commented, thank you for your advice, I have decided on a .22-250 and I will get a dedicated deer rifle when needed!

Found a Tikka 595 in stainless synthetic with a T8 and I will put some pictures up when I have got the rifle.

good choice of rifle the 595 are great I used one for many years,far better built than the new T3,if you decide to reload a 52 gr Berger with 36.8 gr of varget behind it works a treat

when you decide on a deer caliber look to the 260 rem or the 7mm 08 there a lot flatter shooting than the old 308,although I dont use any of them (have in the past) there a good caliber with good BC bullets available for the longer ranges

I have very very little experience with the calibres being mentioned here but as an outsider with no ties to any of the cals and just an observation.....

The OP has done done his done his DSC1, yes but his ground with deer on he isnt allowed to shoot them on. So unless he is garenteed to get deer elsewhere why worry about deer capabilitys esp as he has used his mates for 7 years !

Anything from .22 hornet up will do his foxing requirements by the sound of things !

Now i only take the occasional fox with my little HMR, how ever even I can call a fox in to 100yards and under ! so why worry about 300 yards!

So with the OP wanting something bigger than a hornet and suitable to 200yards then that leaves: .222 , .223 and 22-250.

Now with those 3 in mind sureley you want to buy something eaily available, lots of choice of ammo and also good life of the rifle which will also being most economical will allow easyr saving of money for when deer is garenteed and he can then get a purpose deer cal rifle setup for the heavyr ammo etc and leave his foxing rig alone on its 50grn or what ever lighter ammo for fox ! :good:

In the OPs situation I would look at a good quality time proven dsign rifle in .233 as he can take advantage of the longer barrel life readily available ammo and put money otherwise spent towards something deer specific later on !

:good:

To everyone who has commented, thank you for your advice, I have decided on a .22-250 and I will get a dedicated deer rifle when needed!

Found a Tikka 595 in stainless synthetic with a T8 and I will put some pictures up when I have got the rifle.

Jimbo, if there is any chance to check out this rifle (shooting wise that is) before handing aver any cash i would reccomend you do, Please dont get upset, i am not having a dig, 595 are a few years old now, and i would assume its been used :yes: by how much. It needs to shoot decent groups with factory ammo otherwise you will be very dissapointed in your purchase.

Certianly a good choice though if all is well, plus when you get the chance to you can buy another rifle for the cabinet :good:

And as Ackley has mentioned his super load for "his" rifle please dont assume its going to shoot the same in yours. I would have thought with all the experience Ackey has, he should know a little better.

I have very very little experience with the calibres being mentioned here but as an outsider with no ties to any of the cals and just an observation.....

The OP has done done his done his DSC1, yes but his ground with deer on he isnt allowed to shoot them on. So unless he is garenteed to get deer elsewhere why worry about deer capabilitys esp as he has used his mates for 7 years !

Anything from .22 hornet up will do his foxing requirements by the sound of things !

Now i only take the occasional fox with my little HMR, how ever even I can call a fox in to 100yards and under ! so why worry about 300 yards!

So with the OP wanting something bigger than a hornet and suitable to 200yards then that leaves: .222 , .223 and 22-250.

Now with those 3 in mind sureley you want to buy something eaily available, lots of choice of ammo and also good life of the rifle which will also being most economical will allow easyr saving of money for when deer is garenteed and he can then get a purpose deer cal rifle setup for the heavyr ammo etc and leave his foxing rig alone on its 50grn or what ever lighter ammo for fox ! :good:

In the OPs situation I would look at a good quality time proven dsign rifle in .233 as he can take advantage of the longer barrel life readily available ammo and put money otherwise spent towards something deer specific later on !

:good:

Actually the Hornet is well capable at 200yds if the shooter is. The OP has gotten a 22-250 so obviously he meant 400+ not 300