Set-aside

M ROBSON

One of our farms is a large veg/cereal farm of around 1000 acres. Each field has a headland and an area of set-aside. This next year he plans to plant crop on the set-aside, weather this is due to subsidies i don't know. Anyway this will be left to stand all winter and be replanted on a yearly basis. He has asked us what crop we would like to be planted, I was thinking about Maple Peas. What would you guys choose? ;):)

I've seen Wheat left over winter before due to bad weather and it certainly does attract the pigeons and geese in massive numbers. As peas are not very common in these parts I am not too aware of how long they last after harvest time. Will they provide food all winter or do they go mushy and disolve?

Cheers Cranfield

I was meaning do they rot away. I take it the peas left at harvest all get eaten really quick. The difference here is they aren't getting cut so there will be alot more lying around, so i would imagine they will last longer. The question is will they last all winter? I'm more in favour of wheat but my dad wants to try the peas on a few of the fields.