york clay shooting

firthbeast

I know this is a bit late but you have quite a few clay grounds around your way.

Park Lodge is a good one, especially now the new club house is almost finished (March approx.), wood cladding just went on.

Other grounds off the top of my head:

Allerton Bywater (http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/clayground/294941/directory/allerton-bywater-colliery-clay-pigeon-club)

Monkton (http://www.moncktonshoot.co.uk/)

I've never shot at Allerton Bywater but a well known local shot swears by it. It is substantially cheaper than most of the others too by all accounts. I know that some ex professionals shoot there too, so might be good if you want to learn the ins and outs.

Monkton I've shot. It was OK but the owner followed me everywhere then proceded to charge me a £5 tip because he operated the electronic traps for me. I never asked him to. Not that £5 is a big deal but I did not require his assistance. Needless to say, I never went back. The ground is different in that the terrain is undulating with a tower which together offer good simulated conditions.

Personally, I stick to Park Lodge because they have a proper coffee machine and a good bacon sarnie and a wide variety of sporting clays plus skeet and DTL. The atmosphere is friendly, suitable for women and younger shots without being too commercial. The new club house will only improve things further. Its not the cheapest around, but it has a heck of a lot of potential as a shooting centre for SG, air rifle and potentially small-bore rifle in the future. They may even go for a CF range too as they definitely have the space and the site is large enough to provide a superb shooting facility for the north of England.

I know this is a bit late but you have quite a few clay grounds around your way.

Park Lodge is a good one, especially now the new club house is almost finished (March approx.), wood cladding just went on.

Other grounds off the top of my head:

Allerton Bywater (http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/clayground/294941/directory/allerton-bywater-colliery-clay-pigeon-club)

Monkton (http://www.moncktonshoot.co.uk/)

I've never shot at Allerton Bywater but a well known local shot swears by it. It is substantially cheaper than most of the others too by all accounts. I know that some ex professionals shoot there too, so might be good if you want to learn the ins and outs.

Monkton I've shot. It was OK but the owner followed me everywhere then proceded to charge me a £5 tip because he operated the electronic traps for me. I never asked him to. Not that £5 is a big deal but I did not require his assistance. Needless to say, I never went back. The ground is different in that the terrain is undulating with a tower which together offer good simulated conditions.

Personally, I stick to Park Lodge because they have a proper coffee machine and a good bacon sarnie and a wide variety of sporting clays plus skeet and DTL. The atmosphere is friendly, suitable for women and younger shots without being too commercial. The new club house will only improve things further. Its not the cheapest around, but it has a heck of a lot of potential as a shooting centre for SG, air rifle and potentially small-bore rifle in the future. They may even go for a CF range too as they definitely have the space and the site is large enough to provide a superb shooting facility for the north of England.

I agree with you notsosureshot, Park Lodge has loads of potential. The two towers give good driven targets, as well as some difficult crossers. I also visited Monkton, i was the only one there, and the owner followed me around as well. However the towers are good and some interesting targets, but it would be better with a claymate system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dvgc is ok, but very much a much week in week out. ( I'm a member )

Theres also a little one at poppleton that shoots every 2weeks.

And like every one else has said on the others above. Park lodge is good because you can shoot what you want when you want !

Yeah I had an hour there again on Sunday I hit those driven birds I was struggling with, it's fairly chilled out with regards to being left to do what you want and for me as a beginner this stops the feeling of being pressurised to do well in front of a crowd. Skeet stand was busy mind!