How far will a pellet go!

Field and Clay

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pellet would travel 300 yards+ id have thought if you fired it at the optimum angle.

However, its useful to remember, that when fired horizontal the maximum range will be vastly reduced because the bullet drop will be so great on a non FAC air rifle that the bullet will hit the ground. From memory i think if the rifle was fired 6' above the ground the pellet would hit the ground about 120 yards away.

.177 at 11.7 ft/lb 421yds at 21 degrees

.22 at 11.7 ft/lb 447yds at 28 degrees

Roughly ;-)

Where did you come by this information?

Sorry thats rubbish, try it over a still lake when you get chance.

It would have to be a VERY still lake, excellent weather and someone would need very good eyes to see a .177 pellet splash 1/4 of a mile away! :lol::lol:

What would be your estimate of distances kent? :good:

Where did you come by this information?

It would have to be a VERY still lake, excellent weather and someone would need very good eyes to see a .177 pellet splash 1/4 of a mile away! :lol::lol:

What would be your estimate of distances kent? :good:

Or you could get someone to help :rolleyes: in answer to the question depends on wind direction :lol:

Chairgun may well say 400+ yards but in reality I think it would be considerably less as the drag on a skirted pellet is quite large and the speed drops very quickly. Would be interesting to know for sure though.

All balistic programs assume no tumbling and air pellets are notoriously difficult to calculate using drag function type calcs. Indeed i believe chairgun was first developed as std balistic programs are known to work poorly with air pellets over short range using as they do military developed calcs for munitions so we have to forget about using programs for this as any even small errors are magnified greatly. In deed i personally forget them all as regards airguns as in practice i have found them all poor at best

As most know you can watch an airgun pellet to target if you have a good follow through and adequate light. So fire your gun in a safe area and watch the pellet take to the sky on its normal curving path then suddenly disapear downwards as the tumbling starts. Still think it can make much over 300yds without a hurricane up its tail?

Shooting 12ft lb guns at 100yds and comparing results shows any that try that there is a massive difference between different guns and bears no correlation to which is the most accurate gun at 50yds or bears little on slightly higher power levels of one over another as stability is just so critical. Now put the speed and pellet type into a balistic program and it will tell you the same dope (drop) figures

Right Guys time to add my 2 cents worth here using my limited physics knowledge. Assuming that there is no friction and no wind, the pellet is shot from 1.5m and the guns velocity at 820ft/s

If fired horizontally s=at+0.5at^2 where v is 820ft/s t is unknown and s = 1.5 after playing around with the formula t= square root of 2s/g

therefore t=0.55secs

thus distance travelled would be s=v*t

s=820*0.55= 451ft travelled

If fired at an angle assuming angle of 30deg and same velocity

1 now comes the trig. firstly determine the initial velocity in the x and y directions

in the Y direction the velocity would be

sin30*820=410 (sin30=0.5=y/820)

apply this to the formula v=u+at where v=410 u = 0 a=32

t=410/32=12.8

in the x direction the velocity

cos30*820=710 (cos30=0.866=x/820)

thus

12.8s*710ft=9088ft I know there is still the variable of drag on the pellet size and wind to take into account

Edited by durbsguy

[quote name='durbsguy' timestamp='1325105773'

12.8s*710ft=9088ft I know there is still the variable of drag on the pellet size and wind to take into account

Pellets are essentially lead shuttle cocks so are designed to have drag on the skirt for stability in flight so the MAIN issue is drag. I still think around 300 to 350 yards is the maximum.