What to do about Badgers?

Grey Hawk

:good: I have just secured shooting permission on some beautiful land.

The land owner has a drive way that is made out of large pieces of lime, chalk & stone (very substantial bits of rock) along the drive is a hole that is 12X12 there has been a huge amount of stone removed to make the hole. The land owner hinks it may be a badger set. I may have it wrong and the excavation could have been carried out by some hard core bunnies. I have never seen a set before so Im not sure what they look like.

If it is a badger set do I have to report it to anyone?

Can badgers be relocated?

What signs of life would a badger leave.

Your help as always would be greatley appriciated.

I have no intention of disturbing or harming the animmal, I am well aware that they are protected, and have advised the land owner of this.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, you are not obliged to report a badger sett to anyone.

The hole you describe could have been made by a badger, fox, or a rabbit.

There is often old bedding laying outside setts, which tend to be multiple holes.

It is illegal to disturb a badger's sett (without a special licence) and I would advise you to stay well away, if you are in any doubt.

Anything to do with badgers is an emotive subject.

Be careful what is posted here, or the thread will disappear.

Edit Note. I'm not "a snooping anti", but I would report anyone interfering with a badger's sett.

badger set would have huge amount of earth at the entrance. if its a badger then leave it alone even if asked to do something about it. more trouble than its worth.

pete

Mate absolutleyI would not interfere with it in any way shape or form. My enquiry is wether I need to inform anyone as they are protected. I have never seen a set so Im only guessing. To my knowledge the land owner has not seen a badger.

Thanks for the response.

However there maybe a "Badger rescue club" similar to the one my father in law belonged to in your area. These people attend the traffic incidents and deal with the bodies of any badgers that get hit by traffic. They record the sets and also keep an eye out for any badger baiters etc.

Have a word with your local police as it is a requirement to report any badger deaths to the police. They might have a contact no.

The hole you describe could have been made by a badger, fox, or a rabbit.

There is often old bedding laying outside setts, which tend to be multiple holes.

It is illegal to disturb a badger's sett (without a special licence) and I would advise you to stay well away, if you are in any doubt.

Anything to do with badgers is an emotive subject.

Be careful what is posted here, or the thread will disappear.

Edit Note. I'm not "a snooping anti", but I would report anyone interfering with a badger's sett.

Hi Cranfield I have adjusted the question to the link, I can asure you that my intentions are purely of conservation.

My apologies Cranfield, the point I was trying to make is that we must all vigilantly stay within the law. It is the law that safeguards our sport......for now at least :good:

However there maybe a "Badger rescue club" similar to the one my father in law belonged to in your area. These people attend the traffic incidents and deal with the bodies of any badgers that get hit by traffic. They record the sets and also keep an eye out for any badger baiters etc.

Have a word with your local police as it is a requirement to report any badger deaths to the police. They might have a contact no.

Snakebite, thank you as always good advice. cheers mate.

badger set would have huge amount of earth at the entrance. if its a badger then leave it alone even if asked to do something about it. more trouble than its worth.

pete

Thanks pete.

To help identify it, badger set holes are usually flatish bottomed with a round top - rather like a "D" tipped over to rest on its flat.

The entrance looks completley circular, there is only one hole, and no evidence of bedding as sugested by cranfield. Thaks for the reply.

Check round the area and it it is Brock you will find his prints,bedding and a latrine nearby.The latrine will be easiest to spot and the dung is like large ferret dung,as they`re related,you`ll be able to find a site somewhere that shows brocks footprint,which is basically a widened ferret print and not at all like a fox or dog.

Check round the area and it it is Brock you will find his prints,bedding and a latrine nearby.The latrine will be easiest to spot and the dung is like large ferret dung,as they`re related,you`ll be able to find a site somewhere that shows brocks footprint,which is basically a widened ferret print and not at all like a fox or dog.

Hi Henry d,

I will have a careful look around. There are warrens within 10 feet of the entrance I discribed. Do rabbits & badgers co-habit within this proximity? Cheers Mate :)

If it turns out to be a Badger sett leave well alone. It is a criminal offence to interfere with Badger setts in any way and you can be sure some snooping anti will spot you if you do :good:

P03

Hi P03, If it is a set or if I am unable to establish exactley what it is I will treat it as if it is a set and leave it well alone. I have no intention of disturbing or interfering with any set. Mt thoughts are purely for conservation and being a responsible shooter. I do take your point that our sport is highley scruitinised and I would not wish to bring any bad publicity to it.

Cheers

Yes I too feel that there is a moral bandwagon to be jumped on here (inserts cross looking smiley... :lol: ).

I too would like to add some patronising comments for you and would like to issue a lesson on the blindingly obvious.... yes roll up, roll up it's PWF platitude time and you should be aware that:

1. shooting your next door neighbours is illegal (insert concerned looking smiley as if you have in some way suggested that you will be planning on shooting your neighbours notwithstanding that you have at no time mentioned that your neighbours are or will be your quarry :good: )

2. shooting at a police station with an air gun from 100 yards in June is also very illegal dontcha know (insert shocked smiley to indicate I am telling you some ground breaking news which may otherwise not be apparent to you :no: )

3. you cannot eat badgers, herons, white rhino or peregrine falcons (insert really really angry looking smiley :) - yes you committed a cardinal PWF sin - you mentioned a protected species {full stop}. You mentioned a protected species on these forum boards my friend and no matter how sensible and reasonable the post and no matter the context you will receive a barrage of cross, angry and unhappy smilies as if you have already killed, skinned and eaten the last living badger.

Bunch of fish wives....

This thread was started with "I have no intention of disturbing or harming the animmal, I am well aware that they are protected, and have advised the land owner of this."

Mungler, the last paragraph on the original post, was added after most of the responses had been made.

Which put some of those responses in a different light.

The question was clearly from someone who had little knowledge of badgers.

None of the answers were intended to be patronising (nor were they) and would only have been "blindingly obvious" to someone who knew the subject.

Mungler, the last paragraph on the original post, was added after most of the responses had been made.

Which put some of those responses in a different light.

The question was clearly from someone who had little knowledge of badgers.

None of the answers were intended to be patronising (nor were they) and would only have been "blindingly obvious" to someone who knew the subject.

Any sniff, whiff or indication at all that he intended any harm to the badgers?

Indeed, asking if badgers can be "relocated" infers to me that he knows that he can't harm them - that is unless the word "relocated" was changed in an edit from "pop a cap in a badger".

Mungler, if you feel that you've been patronised then that's your problem. The fact that the question "can they be relocated?" was asked in the first place indicates that the writer was ignorant of the law.

P03

Yes I too feel that there is a moral bandwagon to be jumped on here (inserts cross looking smiley... :lol: ).

I too would like to add some patronising comments for you and would like to issue a lesson on the blindingly obvious.... yes roll up, roll up it's PWF platitude time and you should be aware that:

1. shooting your next door neighbours is illegal (insert concerned looking smiley as if you have in some way suggested that you will be planning on shooting your neighbours notwithstanding that you have at no time mentioned that your neighbours are or will be your quarry :good: )

2. shooting at a police station with an air gun from 100 yards in June is also very illegal dontcha know (insert shocked smiley to indicate I am telling you some ground breaking news which may otherwise not be apparent to you :no: )

3. you cannot eat badgers, herons, white rhino or peregrine falcons (insert really really angry looking smiley :) - yes you committed a cardinal PWF sin - you mentioned a protected species {full stop}. You mentioned a protected species on these forum boards my friend and no matter how sensible and reasonable the post and no matter the context you will receive a barrage of cross, angry and unhappy smilies as if you have already killed, skinned and eaten the last living badger.

Bunch of fish wives....

This thread was started with "I have no intention of disturbing or harming the animmal, I am well aware that they are protected, and have advised the land owner of this."

Sorry Mungler, cranfield is correct I did edit the original post as I had not realised that my enquiry was not crystal clear. However before I asked the question I had informed the land owner that said badger (if it is indeed a badger) was protected. Thanks for the defensive response though.

Yes I too feel that there is a moral bandwagon to be jumped on here (inserts cross looking smiley... :no: ).

Bunch of fish wives....

Sorry Mungler, cranfield is correct I did edit the original post as I had not realised that my enquiry was not crystal clear. However before I asked the question I had informed the land owner that said badger (if it is indeed a badger) was protected. Thanks for the defensive response though.

What, so you mean you were going to shoot it? :lol:

:-)

What, so you mean you were going to shoot it? :lol:

:-)

:good: No mate I was not going to shoot it. My apologies for any confusion, distresss, psychological damage, loss of income caused due to my poor command of grandma (opps sorry grammer)

Cheers :)

Its worth looking at any grassy areas near the hole. If badgers are present a tell tell sign is turf that is rolled back. They do this when grubbing about for worms etc.

If it does turn out to be badgers, my advice would be to tell nobody. Where I live if, you mention this to people and word gets out then the boys with the pit bulls turn up pretty smartish and dig them out. b&*^$%s !!

Leeboy