Pressure Cookers

Mrs Sweepy

I have been giving some money for christmas

So am toying with an idea of getting a pressure cooker.

I find mealtimes in my house a bit hit or miss

As we all come in different times

plus i work during the day and most evenings

so really only have the couple of hours in the afternoon to cook something up for tea.

So my first question would be.Would a pressure cooker be advantage too me?

My next question is what would anyone recommend as i really am a Pressure cooker virgin.

And how safe are they to use. This may seem like a silly question.

But i remember as a small child, Mum managing to blow up the kitchen with hers.

And till this day she thinks they the devils work :rolleyes:

So any advice will be greatly received

Thank you xxxxxSuzy

I recently bought this one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8614869/Trail/searchtext%3EPRESSURE+COOKER.htm

Great, dead easy to use, has safety valve and pressure release, not like my mums old one, used to scare the **** out of me that did, blowing away like a huge rattly bomb.....

Put spuds and 3 veg in and 8 minutes later all ready, press valve to let steam out in seconds, then serve up :good:

I also use a slow cooker, does rabbit stew to perfection when left on for 8 hours!

I do have a slow cooker somewhere :blush:

But I was thinking of a Pressure Cooker for things like steam puds

which my lot love But you need a good few hours to steam.

Which these days I don't seem too have .

Or am I being a really Dumb blonde and you can use a slow cooker for that too :unsure:

Please someone tell me if I am ;)

xxxxSuzy

We have one, but to be honest it seems to get used more as a large saucepan rather than a pressure cooker nowadays... We've never (touchwood) had any problems with them either and they can be really handy for doing things such as spuds like you said.

But I'm with the others, slow cooker all the day- parents got me one for the start of this uni year and it gets used 4-5 times a week by all of us in the flat..

Robo :good:

Have never tried suet in a slow cooker,but think the result may be similar to rabbit skin 'size'(glue) :sick:

My memories of pressure cookers consist of brussels fumes my dear old Mum used to fill the house with on a weekly basis in my youth,so we've never had one,but no doubt the modern ones are much improved.

Can recommend the slow cooker though.

I recently bought this one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8614869/Trail/searchtext%3EPRESSURE+COOKER.htm

Great, dead easy to use, has safety valve and pressure release, not like my mums old one, used to scare the **** out of me that did, blowing away like a huge rattly bomb.....

Put spuds and 3 veg in and 8 minutes later all ready, press valve to let steam out in seconds, then serve up :good:

I also use a slow cooker, does rabbit stew to perfection when left on for 8 hours!

:stupid:

Had one all our married life - great in conjunction with the microwave for getting a meal with spuds and 2 veg on the table in under 30 minutes - good for puds and Hams as well :thumbs: :thumbs: :good:

Slow cooker vote for me too Suzy. Good things are done sloooow after all :sly: Even I can do a really good meal on a regular basis in one . You just use less stock as the veg generate lots of liquid . Rich falling off the bone casseroles .

Recipe; Skin a whole chicken. Place in slow cooker . Fry onions . Add to pot with veg of choice . Seasoning very well and half cup of stock ( slow cookers love Lea and Perrins ). Beggar off to work and come home to a hot meal .Get them to steam their own spuds . :good:

Slow cooker vote for me too Suzy. Good things are done sloooow after all :sly: Even I can do a really good meal on a regular basis in one . You just use less stock as the veg generate lots of liquid . Rich falling off the bone casseroles .

Recipe; Skin a whole chicken. Place in slow cooker . Fry onions . Add to pot with veg of choice . Seasoning very well and half cup of stock ( slow cookers love Lea and Perrins ). Beggar off to work and come home to a hot meal .Get them to steam their own spuds . :good:

I would chuck tatties in with it as well :good: Mmmmm I can taste that chicken now :good:

I would chuck tatties in with it as well :good: Mmmmm I can taste that chicken now :good:

Tatties a must ! It is amazing the quality of flavour you get from a whole bird . Slow cookers really are the answer for busy working folk . Edited by vole

Both are good these days. Slow cooker gets used most though. Food comes out mouthwatering. Makes absolutely brill bunny stews and casseroles. Stick everything in the bowl the night before, except things like tatties which can be left in water with a little lemon juice in it. Switch on low in the morning and leave it. Difficult to overcook food in it. For stews, make up some dumpling dough the night before and put it in plastic or make it when you get home. Switch cooker onto high and stick it in. Cook for the last 20 mins. Brill!! I use both as HID can't cook and hates to even try. She would rather get one of those ready meals in plastic that bear little or no resemblance to real food.

Pressure cookers are great for speed and very safe these days. All have a built in safety valve and when the pressure gets too great (above about 15psi) the valve opens and the steam gets released. Can make you jump though if its right behind you. Generally halves cooking time or more

:stupid: Had one all our married life - great in conjunction with the microwave for getting a meal with spuds and 2 veg on the table in under 30 minutes - good for puds and Hams as well :thumbs: :thumbs: :good:

Suzy get one... We had our first over 35 years ago, and my Mrs. wouldnt be without one now, we use one on an induction hob so stews/curries/Christmas pud less than 30 min!! greens in less than 10 min without boiling the colour out.

I had the old ones to do the kitchen scraps for the chickens, it only took 15 min mixed with some layers mash and they would go crazy for it

Go for it Suzy then you can have more time to lounge about looking delightfull.xxx

Hapy new year to you both

Paladin