Anyone ever been friends with a Murderer or the like?

Boromir

1957 and I was an 18 year old regular soldier based in Munster in Germany.   Three of us slept in a small room.   Me, my mate Tex, also a regular, and a national serviceman lance corporal called George.   George was a very serious young chap who never had much to say for himself and was very quiet when with others.   One night I woke up to find two very large redcaps in the room watching George pack all his kit into his webbing packs and pouches.   Slowly coming back into the realisation of what was going on - George being arrested - I said "For Christ sake George what have you done - murdered somebody or something"?   Well that did it.   All hell broke loose and I faced arrest myself.   Turned out that George had stabbed a woman to death in the town.   Just someone he met while walking the streets.   Never seen her before in his life.  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

When you consider that when I was growing up in the 1950s 

Virtually every adult male in my family had killed somebody. Often many people in the course of their military service.

This must be true for many people on here

This ^^^^

many years ago I was shooting with some old fella’s I was making up the team 

They were all good shots and filling there boots I was giving them a fair bit of banter possibly to much 

anyway after one drive I said to one of them

there Wasn’t much got by you  and your mates on that drive

he snapped back there wasn’t anything got past my Bren gun and their rifles that’s why were still here and you are free and English 

so I guess historically we’re all descendants of killers of one sort or another  

anyway we became very good friends for a long time and he never mentioned anything about the war ever again 

I was working on night shift 1975 October just got home and seen the kids off to school and in to bed heard a shot followed strate away by another my wife started to scream I jumped out of bed and she told me that a man across the street had just shot our neghbor. I was first on the seen and Jhon was laying  in his door way with a very big chest wound he died in minets before any help arrived shot twice in the chest at close range with a shot gun. The man that shot him went to the phone box at the top of the road and called the police, this was a domestic dispute over a women. The trial was at Lester court and I was thire for 3 days, he got 3 years for manslaughter, it was a very traumatic time  for my family.

21 hours ago, Old farrier said:

This ^^^^

many years ago I was shooting with some old fella’s I was making up the team 

They were all good shots and filling there boots I was giving them a fair bit of banter possibly to much 

anyway after one drive I said to one of them

there Wasn’t much got by you  and your mates on that drive

he snapped back there wasn’t anything got past my Bren gun and their rifles that’s why were still here and you are free and English 

so I guess historically we’re all descendants of killers of one sort or another  

anyway we became very good friends for a long time and he never mentioned anything about the war ever again 

This thread is about murderers... not the brave souls carrying out their duty.

It's also estimated that only approx. 15% of shots fired in WW2 were actually aimed at the enemy.

19 hours ago, London Best said:

I read somewhere that in WW2 only one bullet in 250,000 carried death.

i can believe that..........with the advent of the machine gun for aroeplanes and tanks and machine gun crews   it would make sense..........

i wonder what the ratio would have been for something like the Battle of Waterloo..........

As a young kid in the 60s we had family members, (various aunts, uncles and cousins) in North Wales we didnt see them often. 

2 of these cousins were brothers. One went out with a local girl who decided she liked the other one better and went to live with him... sadly the other brother took a terrible revenge, went to a house...shot his brother, then the girl... then turned the gun on himself.

My nan found out when she read it in the newspaper.

21 minutes ago, del.gue said:

As a young kid in the 60s we had family members, (various aunts, uncles and cousins) in North Wales we didnt see them often. 

2 of these cousins were brothers. One went out with a local girl who decided she liked the other one better and went to live with him... sadly the other brother took a terrible revenge, went to a house...shot his brother, then the girl... then turned the gun on himself.

42 minutes ago, del.gue said:

Same situation but no killing involved, but we have a family in the next village where the kids call their stepfather “Uncle Dad”.

Interesting thread.

Didn't think I could take part but then I remembered, I can.

I went to school with Joanne, same year and some shared classes. She was lovely.

I was saddened to hear this had happened all these years later, it's heartbreaking.

She killed her 8 year old, if you follow the story on it looks like she then killed herself while on remand.

Sad for everyone involved.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5481735/Joanne-Finchs-chilling-final-Facebook-post-son-murder.html