Krieghoff help required

Salopian

Yep, got to agree with Hammy on that one, I would be simply amazed if, at the price you were paying, they weren't super reliable, after all, the inner guts of a shotgun is very low grade technical stuff, with most expensive guns all you're really paying for is fancy wood and engraving, which will not gain you one extra clay over the entire life of the gun. :hmm:

I can't knock them because I've never tried one, apart from borrowing them from others at pool shoots and other knock arounds, they certainly handle way differently to a Beretta, and if I was to shoot one well I know it would take me an awful long time to get used to it.

In my opinion, they are a gun for an already very experienced shot, "B" & "C" class shooters who think that they will jump to "AAA" by re-mortgaging their house and trading up from their Berettas or Mirokus to a Krieghoff will be disappointed.

Don't forget, Digweed started his domination of the clay shooting world using a Parker Hale, a name that would mean nothing to most users of this forum, but it suited him and his shooting style at the time, take a look at the sort of scores that Guys like young Ed and Martin Myers bang in week after week, a Krieghoff clearly suits both of their current styles, would they shoot any better using a Perazzi, we'll probably never know the answer to that one..?

Cat.

Common sense talking there ^ You can clean up with a Baikal or Ugatachea (if anyone still remembers them)if you aim at the right bit of sky :lookaround:

I learned with a cheap Zoli (in the days when Angelo made cheap guns with no thought to the cachet that his brother would eventually claim) and shot everything from DTL to sk**t with full and three quarter chokes and S&B 7/8 vermin loads.

I'm only in my mid 40s so I'm not ready for retirement yet but a reliable BWM gun will be faithful and, should it need fixing, easily fixed while remaining easily rehomed if or when you want to change. If it's a hobby then more cartridges and more entry fees are more fun than more gun!

I can't help but notice comments from fellow claybusters when it comes to Krieghoffs - if you step into the cage with one you'd better be able to justify anything you miss - it puts a lot of pressure on the shooter as the cost of the gun is taken to reflect the owner's opinion of their own abilities :oops:

I traded my B525 (remember John Bidwell won his colours with a B425) for a Winchester Select Signature and, although it's only a £1500 gun, it holds its own against DT10s and even Krieghoffs on occasion :crazy:

Good luck with whatever you choose :thumbs:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That does look nice.

I have always like the look of them, even handled one in a shop and it felt fantastic I was so tempted to buy it.

The one thing that has put me off is the ‘you need to learn to shoot them reply’ from so many shooters.

I could not justify the outlay without trying one first, and I am too scared to try one in case I like it and have to buy one.

I get a bit of stick for shooting a DT10 with its overpriced, not proper custom built, marmite gun..... But I love it and would not change apart from maybe a Krieghoff.

:good:

Timps, trust me when i say this,,,,, more than a few times did the gun almost become a one way boomerang..... talk about frustrating the hell out of me,, having shot the hell out of Browning's and Berreta's it was a huge difference, length weight triggers new and stiffer, POI , i patterend the thing to bits trying to repeat the hit ratio on a known target, the more i tried the harder it seemed to get, and again, i kept going back to the old machine and getting things back in order, kept breaking my own rule,,, still, i cant blame the gun,its never the Indian, always the arrow right :lol::lol: just like those old slippers that fit so well, everyone has a favorite and never like to change, anyone who has read any of my posts will know i am not a one trick pony, have guns will shoot em, this one had me for a while, Perseverance is the key..

Martin.

a little delay in posting, my apologies

If you went to the factory and saw how they were put together, plus the first rate back up service from Alan Rhone, you can soon see where the money goes.

Reliability wise, I've shot mine for over 10 years now and have absolutely no complaints/issues, nor do any of my friends who shoot them. I heard of a problem with a set of barrels recently that was rectified within a week- other than that, no problems with the guns. Best bit of kit for breaking clays out there.

If they are that good, why do you shoot a Auto (Grange last shoot) To get a service costs £140.00 by Erwin but he is the very best you will find. At the end of the day it is the numpty behind the gun that is the problem, if you have the money buy what you like. Anything from Germany will be of first class and cost more. Ed you should have shot your Krieghoff that day you might have shot that teal at 155yds.

Gordon R, are you talking out your ****. they are one of the most reliable guns on the market. Co*k.

jakeshooter1 - hello and a welcome first post. A very good effort, but when you get to senior school, I would hope you could do better. At present, your reasoned debate leaves something to be desired. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jakeshooter1 - hello and a welcome first post. A very good effort, but when you get to senior school, I would hope you could do better. At present, your reasoned debate leaves something to be desired. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

where the hell did the Muppet spring from Gordon?? upseting the little guys again i see :good::good:

Martin.

Martin - no idea where he sprang from. Joined recently - first post. If I didn't know better, I might have thought it was a troll using up a spare identity. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nontheless, the thread has persuaded me to have a go with the next Krieghoff I am offered. I have genuinely heard bad things about their reliability, but I accept it is a small sample - but is the only sample I have.

The late and great Jim Stafford was someone I shot against a fair number of times and he had one. If memory serves, he had a half choke put back in to the top barrel and multichoke in the bottom. I understand the threads were removed and someone - Teague I think - put a 1/2 choke tube in. If it was good enough for him, I feel bound to give one a try.

No promises, other than a fair critique.

My mate in the States has a K80 San Remo with the ridiculous raised rib - Handles and shoots like a dream.

Cost him the best part of USD25,000 and has been back to the menders twice in a year for failing to open after firing. After sales service has been very good apparently but it shouldn't be needed.

not too sure on the higher ribs, tried but not convinced yet, as far as trap goes i see the point there, it has been said that a lot of guns here in North America are running higher ribs, say it gives a better sight picture,,,,, jury is out on that, as far as im conceerned good tool, costly but worthwhile, seen all types in for repair, new and old, you get good and bad in all.

Martin.

Decided to stick with my MK38. When I feel that the MK38 is holding me back or it breaks, then I will consider a change.

Until then I will try and shoot more frequently, but most of all I want to get out and enjoy shooting.

Whenever I get an opportunity I will continue to try a Krieghoff to try and discover why they are so highly rated by some.

Salopian

Your Miroku's have always done you well - nothing wrong with them - this is your problem :good:

400425392.jpg If you stopped spitting this out you would find it easier and cheaper. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Your big mate Andy sends his regards :P

Dave :oops:

Thank you Dave, yes I have stopped beating myself up now, Andy asked me why on Earth I wanted a Krieghoff when he tried your Valmet.

Salopian

I totally agree with your mate Andy - You really would be better off getting a Valmet -- In fact I can save you at least 10 grand - you can have my Valmet for a Grand! Now that is a super saving over a Krieghoff. :rolleyes:

Can you remember years ago you used to shoot with a young chap who beat you every time - I think he had a beat up old Winchester semi held together with cable ties ?? :yes:

I heard a rumour you bought it off him - if you still have it try it out perhaps his magic will rub off on you :good: Then you can sell your Miroku's and be quids in.

Bye the way - your mate Andy said last time he saw you you had on a new bespoke hand made pair of trousers - said they looked a bit odd with pockets in turn ups. :P:huh:

dave :lol:

DSPUK,

Yes I remember that young chap very well, I would not say he beat me EVERY time. I do remember him beating me once by loading three into said Winchester :angry: I also remember him blowing Remingtons apart through using over pressure Winchester Blues, until Remington told him to sling his hook and buy Hull cartridges, but he was too mean to do that, I think he shoots Saga's now? Oops sorry he HIS Saga.

Apparently that Valmet is very heavy and ugly. ( A bit like it's owner) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: