Manchester clay shooting

guerinirocks

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way :no: I've read some utter ***** on this forum recently but you and skeet with win thrown in is taking the **** :yes:

Craig son.....You know how devastating I am with my Auto....Don't even try this ****.

You jump on the Benelli by Feb the something and you get two whole quid off. It's drawing near as it's only in May.

I won the Members comp at MCSC with an Auto when I was a member. Thats the moment I decided I needed a bigger Buzz than swatting clays for no reason at Worsley. A good ground for the club shooter. or the Borat bikkini wearing ****-soak.

I would rather shoot badly against the Big boys. with like minded competitive grumpy old ****. When I grow up thats exactly what I want to be. :D

Perhaps you should have used your semi at Shug :hmm: ...........Just saying

No way :no: I've read some utter ***** on this forum recently but you and skeet with win thrown in is taking the **** :yes:

Craig son.....You know how devastating I am with my Auto....Don't even try this ****.

You jump on the Benelli by Feb the something and you get two whole quid off. It's drawing near as it's only in May.

I won the Members comp at MCSC with an Auto when I was a member. Thats the moment I decided I needed a bigger Buzz than swatting clays for no reason at Worsley. A good ground for the club shooter. or the Borat bikkini wearing ****-soak.

I would rather shoot badly against the Big boys. with like minded competitive grumpy old ****. When I grow up thats exactly what I want to be. :D

Only because i wasn't a member :P :yp:

They wouldn't let you join.

Their's a Registered on at Catton this month. Why don't you come out of retirement and show us how it's done. :P

Pheasant shooting every weekend till 1st feb now so no can do , see you in the summer though :good:

Finished high gun overall at caerwys again this year :yp: :lol:

Hi, I am Phil Moss, the new grounds manager/target setter at MCSC. For those that post on here that do know me, i dont need to sell myself, BUT for those that dont know me or my background i will give a little bit of a insight.I have relocated from Gods own county (Essex)up here to the N/W, i have been involved in clay shooting for over 25 yrs & have run succesful sporting shoots in essex for a period of time (check out the posts on PW), I was the county CPSA chairman & am a serious competative sporting shooter,and have shot at county level for many years.

I am passionate about setting good sporting targets ( having spent plenty of time on the shoulder of my good personal friend John Dyson, who is one of the best course setters in the world.

Things will change at MCSC, but like most things it wont happen over night, we have just had a very busy xmas period at the ground with myself & my support team only off on christmas & new years day.

Please bare with us at the ground & you will notice changes, MCSC is like any other commercial venture, a business and needs to return a profit....I understand that previous events have not been financially viable to run cpsa competitions due to additional charges for referees, prize fund monies & cpsa levys.

The point i am making here is why should any ground go to extra lenghts to run these events only to get 30/40 entries....to break even on a 100 bird reg shoot you need to cover 100 entries minimum.

The bottom line is we are a business & need to make a profit, its NOT a dirty word, we also need the shooters support to make it worth our while to hold & run these events.....enough said.

If you visit the ground please come & introduce yourself to me, give me your opinions & feedback, i value any sensible comments & will always try to accomodate your requests....its a two-way thing shooting grounds need shooters & shooters need shooting grounds......best regards Phil Moss

phil - I hope you get feedback and the place can improve.

That said, I would personally wait until it had improved, before I ventured back there. The problems are documented elsewhere on the Forum.

My own personal problems are the access road - I accept it would cost a fortune to bring up to any sort of decent standard.

Clays that fly into the sun.

Breakages - although I have to say that on my last visit - 27.12.2011 - very, very few - which is a massive improvement. Previously we had way in excess of any 10% and faces get pulled when you mention this - as if they are unaware. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The rule about giving way to Instructors. This is not widely known, nor mentioned when booking. You only find out when you are accosted and the signs pointed out. It honestly goes down like a lead balloon. It either wants advertising very prominently or scrapping.

The lack of visible enthusiasm / welcome. I did seriously wonder on my last three visits, if anyone wanted our trade. Our record wait (to book on) stands at over two hours.

The pantomime signing of a sheet, if you have no certificate with you. It is paying lip service to procedure. Anyone could write Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. It isn't policed.

I honestly wish you well and thank you for having the courage to stick your head above the parapet. It comes across as a sincere attempt to listen and learn. :good: :good: :good:

Edited by Gordon R

As I said before, if they reckon there's no money in competitions, fine.

But if the the original point was why don't competition shooters go to Worsley, I don't see what the difficulty is in understanding...... :hmm:

Nobody is saying that laying on competitions is compulsory, but if there aren't any, why would competitive shooters be interested in the place?

And it is very convenient (and once again, just words) to throw in a line about laying on CPSA competitions and only 30-40 entrants turning out, but I refereed every registered comp for best part of a year "back in the day" and there were usually between 120 and 140 numbers on my master sheet :rolleyes:

Yes all the best to you Phil, and i hope that it works out well for you.I'm sure you will have been picking up and following the vibes on here . All the north west shooters want the ground to be a success, lets face it, we don't have a large pool of grounds to choose from if we want registered shoots. I'm sure that if you get it right the North of England shooters will support you in large numbers. from Auntie.

Phil knows his stuff, and give him a while to sort it out (god knows the place needs someone like him) and Im sure it will improve no end. Ive shot a couple of shoots and vowed never to go back it was that bad- give phil 6 months to a year and Ill happily go up for a selection etc.

Good luck chap.

Yes, I'll echo Ed's comments, I first shot Worsley probably in the early 90's at their first ever Northern Selection shoot, the access road was like the surface of the Moon back then, and by all accounts, that's still the case, but I'm sure these issues can be overcome in time.

The way to attract plenty of punters is to put on a good and varied layout, employ competent scorers, don't get greedy and mix practice / competition / coaching days, charge only the going rate, welcome shooters upon arrival with a properly staffed entries desk, have a clear policy on payouts, offer reduced rates for Juniors / Colts, and listen to peoples comments.

I've known Phil for a good many years and I know he has the brains and experience to take on board all of the above, I wish him every success. :good:

Cat.

lets hope phil does mend the place, most of what needs fixing is all common sense.

the road imo isnt that bad, westfield is worse as i cant even get my car over the speedbumps without grinding metal underneath.

i would rather they invest in decent scorers, proper non melt in the rain scorecards and people who can actually set up some decent targets that arnt thrown behind trees invisible to shooters. payout could also be better, having won the pool at the england selection i recieved a wallet ripping £12.50!