Manchester clay shooting

guerinirocks

I normally referee at MCSC at all the registered comps! I like the place, (wouldnt life be boring if everyone was the same) but it does need a bloody good kick up the backside! I wish you all the best Phil and i look forward to hearing better reports in 6-12 months time! ( please please dont put a sportrap with 8 targets on, i beg you not too!!!!)

Rich aka son of potter

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

( please please dont put a sportrap with 8 targets on, i beg you not too!!!!)

Rich aka son of potter

Or a great big **** off tree right bang in the middle of where you want to shoot the clays........ :blink:

Like I have said on my previous posts I like the place, so I wish you all the best Phil. :good:

I will continue to do the odd practice day with my son and I also hope there will be some registered shoots on this year, with a bit of common sense and foresight they could be good shoots. :good:

Or a great big **** off tree right bang in the middle of where you want to shoot the clays........ :blink:

Like I have said on my previous posts I like the place, so I wish you all the best Phil. :good:

I will continue to do the odd practice day with my son and I also hope there will be some registered shoots on this year, with a bit of common sense and foresight they could be good shoots. :good:

Hi Timps, using trees & other natural features on any shooting ground that runs sporting events are all part of course/target setting, it takes the shooter out of their comfort zone, it either makes you rush the shot or miss-read the target presentation, just like making a rabbit jump where it is goung to be shot at, thats all part of a reasonable sporting course !!!,

Any other PW's agree or disagree ???

Hi Timps, using trees & other natural features on any shooting ground that runs sporting events are all part of course/target setting, it takes the shooter out of their comfort zone, it either makes you rush the shot or miss-read the target presentation, just like making a rabbit jump where it is goung to be shot at, thats all part of a reasonable sporting course !!!,

I don't know if you've seen this layout yet, but this tree was rather on the large side! :lol:

Yes, I agree. I shot this stand last summer and what it did for me was to make me shoot the target much earlier. As it happened I think I dropped one and really have no complaints. If you can see it you can shoot it, given you can work out where to shoot it. What I don't like are targets obscured by the sun but everything else is fair game.

Don't have a problem with tree's , but i do like my roost shooting :lol:

Think some cay shooters need to learn the ambush shot :yp:

grounds make it up as they go along, making sure theres enough in there pockets first.

Can I butt in.http://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CPSA_Booklet_5.pdf rule 1.4 Entry Fees and Prizes.

I cannot download the pdf file for booklet #5.

Edited by BlaserF3

Hi Phil, I totally accept that and I actually like stands that utilise the terrain in such away, I also did quite well on that particular layout and the shoot overall (enough to tie with paulos for 2nd in A class) so its not sour grapes as I did enjoy it.

But the specific tree in question received a heck of a lot of complaints on the day, it's even mentioned on a thread on here (not by me I might add) every single one of the 8 sportrap targets on that particular layout were affected by it.

Not one person had a good thing to say about the tree, me included, I like to be challenged by the target setter, however some are a bit lazy and unimaginative and 8 sportrap targets behind 1 massive tree is not the best layout I have seen.

Not having a go at using trees just this one particular instance. :good:

The tree was there for everyone :)

It sure was Ian, but a lot of the shooters did not like it, regardless of whether they could shoot it or not.

Its things like that which means the numbers drop next time there is a comp, it probably did me a favour as it bumped my score up compared to other shooters who did not fair so well on it, but I did not think they were good targets.

The other 3 layouts were great, but after the shoot the posts on here were all about the number of targets and the flipping tree. :lol:

blaserf3

the book means nothing, ive brought it up with the cpsa before and theyve said its at the grounds discretian

Fair enough, what's the point of a rule book then? I was talking to a ground owner recently, who said that due to the work and cost of running a registered shoot, the CPSA should pay for the cost of putting a shoot on, not the ground owner.

He has since stopped putting registered shoots on as he was always losing money.

my main gripe was grounds that take the HG prize out of the class prize, according to the 'rules' the HG is a sponsored prize and is seperate to the 'comp' entry.

this also technically means HG could be won by a birds only shooter, but ive yet to find anyone who has taken the money that way!

my main gripe was grounds that take the HG prize out of the class prize, according to the 'rules' the HG is a sponsored prize and is seperate to the 'comp' entry.

this also technically means HG could be won by a birds only shooter, but ive yet to find anyone who has taken the money that way!

Yes as has been mentioned , they make it up as they go along.

A friend of mine was overall high gun at Coniston last year but his name was not at the top of the list, the reason, he shot birds only.

Another friend, Skeet high gun at Bywell, the lad in is the Scottish CPSA, name was not top of the list either.

It's a total joke, sad but that's how it is.

Let's all hope that hell freezes over before a "Birds Only" shooter walks off with the HG prize, I've never known it happen. :no:

In my opinion, every ground should adopt the policy set by Steve Lovatt, after each event he will e-mail every competitor to let them know how many entries they've had in each class, and exactly what the payout was in every class, no smoke or mirrors, that's it plain and simple. :yes:

Now, if you think you've been ripped off, you vote with your feet and don't go back.

Cat.

I've got nothing against Birds only shooters, I've done a bit of "Birds Only" myself :P

However it should mean Birds Only, that is NO prizes, not High Gun or anything else. If I enter a comp as Birds Only, I wouldn't expect to have a chance at any prizes at all. :hmm:

Catamong,

Why don't you like non gambling shooters ie; birds only entrants?

For precisely the reason you mentioned in your post above, they want their cake and they want to eat it as well, your mate entered BO and then was aggrieved that he didn't get any recognition when he got top score.

Small wonder he shot well, knowing he wasn't competing against any of the "hot shots" all going for the HG prize, no pressure there, he could afford to relax. :yes:

Birds Only entries have no place in serious competition shooting, if you're man enough to enter the event, then you should pay full entry fee, and contribute to the prize fund.

Cat.

There's nothing hard about working out the prize money per class, it is part of the CPSA shoot programme registered grounds are required to use. Ditto for High Gun prize if one is offered, it takes an amount, specified by the ground, say £1 per entry to create that prize fund.

When I was involved in running shoots BO entrants could only take donated article prizes/trophy but not prize money paid for by the competition entrants.

Edited by PhilR

Let's all hope that hell freezes over before a "Birds Only" shooter walks off with the HG prize, I've never known it happen. :no:

In my opinion, every ground should adopt the policy set by Steve Lovatt, after each event he will e-mail every competitor to let them know how many entries they've had in each class, and exactly what the payout was in every class, no smoke or mirrors, that's it plain and simple. :yes:

Now, if you think you've been ripped off, you vote with your feet and don't go back.

Cat.

Or adopt the policy set by Mike Reynolds all those years ago at Mid Norfolk when he used to hang a Blackboard outside the clubhouse door at 'Last Entrys' detailing the number of entrants in each class,class moneys and H/G etc.

You always knew where you stood as it was there in Black & White and clayshooting was better for it :good:

Azzurri.

Hi Phil, I totally accept that and I actually like stands that utilise the terrain in such away, I also did quite well on that particular layout and the shoot overall (enough to tie with paulos for 2nd in A class) so its not sour grapes as I did enjoy it.

But the specific tree in question received a heck of a lot of complaints on the day, it's even mentioned on a thread on here (not by me I might add) every single one of the 8 sportrap targets on that particular layout were affected by it.

Not one person had a good thing to say about the tree, me included, I like to be challenged by the target setter, however some are a bit lazy and unimaginative and 8 sportrap targets behind 1 massive tree is not the best layout I have seen.

Not having a go at using trees just this one particular instance. :good:

Ok , maybe a misinterpratation of the post regarding the tree, Stuart (emmsy) made it clearer that i assume that the said line of the target was being interfeared with by a tree thus causing a series of no birds...that is wholeny un acceptable & any offending or potential hazards need to be removed prior to the shoot taking place, there is a differance between using trees to fool the shooter & trees causing irregular flight of the trget....enuff said :good:

Cat - very rare I would disagree with your views, but this is one.

A relative few shooters could make a living from the sport. Prize money is not life changing and if you win, at best, it would defray some of the expenses of competing. Not all shooters have money to enter, other than "birds only". Some sponsored shooters aren't truly contributing to the prize fund, so I don't see the increased pressure on them. I expect that the argument will then turn to how they became sponsored - talent and hard work. :yes: :yes:

If someone was the best shot at an event, they should be recognised as High Gun. I wouldn't give them a penny if they were birds only - I agree that payouts, including High Gun, should be for those who put the money in.

Winning something like a County Championship should be about being the best in the area, not the one who can afford to throw a bit more money at it.

If Blaser F3's mates were the highest scoring at the events, then they should get the acknowledgement.

I suspect that we will not see eye to eye on this, but that's life.