Winchester 101 O/U

hedd-wyn

Right then, will be putting a deposit on my first shotgun this week at my local gun dealer.

It's a Winchester 101 Over and Under.

Has anyone ever shot one or owned one of these?

There doesn't seem to be much reviews about them so would appreciate any advice please lads.

I'm thinking it might be the older version because it's going for £450 second hand, but not sure.

Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes they are a old gun , yes parts can be tricky to find but they dont go wrong every 5 mins and a decent gunsmith will make or adapt parts , quite frankly anyone who says dont buy has never owned one or is talking garbage they were and still are one of the best sporting over and under shotguns made , I would not hesitate to buy another :good:

Old but a damn good gun. Lovely to handle, and shoot's fantastically :good: :good: :good:

I kind of gathered they were old, but its fits perfect.

I must admit though, I was a bit worried about parts

Beautifully balanced gun, and lovely to shoot... Wish i'd never sold mine, but more than doubled what I paid for it, so was happy at the time!

For £450, i'd want one in near mint condition.

It is, to be honest, it was the best looking gun on the rack.

I have owned 5, I think. Fine, well balanced guns. They don't go wrong very often - no more than any other, but spares are not readily available. Other makers' parts can be made to fit, but then you pay the spares and modification price.

If it's a minter - I would buy, but if it is well used, you can do better.

Check whether the action is loose. Not cheap to tighten properly and they were not very tight when they left the factory.

Edited by Gordon R

I love em. I've got a 101 light weight field, a 101 supergrade sporter and a 101 diamond grade trap. Had the field gun as my first shotgun 26 years ago. I've put thousands of shells through it. Only ever had to have the ejector timing reset. If you ever need spares then there is a chap in the states that will send to the UK. Chris Showler I think. I have his email if you want it. They can kick a bit with heavy shells.

Edited by smith271973

Great guns with excellent build quality! Way better than the mass produced stuff made today!

I have one I use for the pigeon, its a fine well built gun it will probaly outlast me!! no worries with it whatsover if its good and the price is right you cant go wrong.

I got it for £300 a billy bargain

KW

Edited by kdubya

I bought a 101 XTR Lightweight as my first shotgun a few months ago and I've never looked back. I'd tried a few guns prior to buying it but was sold on it's lightness and balance. Not mad keen on the varnished stock so that's up with Straightshooter at the moment getting refinished. Being lightweight I did start to feel it after 50 or so 30g cartridges in a session but I've dropped down to 24g now and it's perfect. I shan't part with this gun.

Right then, will be putting a deposit on my first shotgun this week at my local gun dealer.

It's a Winchester 101 Over and Under.

Has anyone ever shot one or owned one of these?

There doesn't seem to be much reviews about them so would appreciate any advice please lads.

I'm thinking it might be the older version because it's going for £450 second hand, but not sure.

Thanks

hedd-wyn.

Love my 101 Skeet gun ....yes the actions are on the slack side ....and yes they can kick.

I have a late one, badged "Classic Doubles 101" but made in the same factory that made them for Winchester and bought the rights. It looks very well made and locks up nice and tight, shoots fine for me but I'm no expert. It has nice jeweling and a couple of people have asked me if it's a Beretta.

Ive had a 101 XTR Lightweight multi-choke and they take 3"magnum shells for years there a well made gun on par with miroku in my opinion

I would not sell mine for under £650 what else are you going to get for that price?

There fetching more than you think nowadays do a search for a good example

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Shotgun/Winchester-101-XTR-Lightweight-gun-for-sale-gs4392.aspx

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/detail.php?NewGunID=111210151930000

Very nice guns even if they kick a bit - mind you when I tried one it was 32g then. - A old shooter I know had a Diamond Grade - lovely gun but he dropped it and broke stock - quoted £1k for new stock -- The bit that made me cry was he took it to Cop shop and scrapped it then went out and bought a cheap 101 ? Duh ! - there was a queue of us who would have given him 100 quid for it.

If as said it looks mint then buy it - when you open them they will drop open as they are assisted opening if I recall.

Dave