Winchester 101 O/U

hedd-wyn

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have had five in total,and still own two.I love 'em,great guns,and spares scarcity doesn't worry me as Miroku parts can be modified by a competent 'smith.My Diamond grade sporter is my 'game' gun.Felt recoil is basically 'unfelt' with Sterling 32grm 5's. :good:

There are some nice examples on guntrader,but some are over-priced for their grade/condition.

Malmo had in a nice trap example last week,and also a very nice 6500(101 action).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if it was a good example.

• 4 years later...

just picked up a classic doubles sporter to try on sale or return late 80 or early 90 on my kids life you would think it just come out of the factory tight as a new gun bluing all there even under the fore arm unbelievable wood chequering still sharp action face and ejector arms no marks could not believe what i was looking at got to be over 20 years old must have been in storage goner try it tomorrow on some high pheasant could be my next purchase

They dont go wrong as a rule actions allways felt loose even when brand new [ easy to open close ]

About the only fault they had was ejector kickers could snap on some .

what model 101 is it as there where a few ?

Good question. I had the 101skeet with 26" barrels and fixed chokes, skeet and skeet. Beautiful gun, wish I hadn't sold it. Question is, as they were fixed choke, what model is it and what do you want it for? Edited by Glenlivet

I have owned 5, I think. Fine, well balanced guns. They don't go wrong very often - no more than any other, but spares are not readily available. Other makers' parts can be made to fit, but then you pay the spares and modification price.

If it's a minter - I would buy, but if it is well used, you can do better.

Check whether the action is loose. Not cheap to tighten properly and they were not very tight when they left the factory.

Agreed not very tight... used to have a Skeet gun ... fantastic ... Wish I had it now.

just picked up a classic doubles sporter to try on sale or return late 80 or early 90 on my kids life you would think it just come out of the factory tight as a new gun bluing all there even under the fore arm unbelievable wood chequering still sharp action face and ejector arms no marks could not believe what i was looking at got to be over 20 years old must have been in storage goner try it tomorrow on some high pheasant could be my next purchase

Sounds just the job; pic's please. :good:

I've got a near mint 101 Waterfowl, and my uncle has a Supergrade game, Grand European Game (mint) and has just picked up a mint Grand European Trap.

Parts are available in the U.S., if you can get someone to bring them in for you ..... overall, they are quality guns, made to last.

I fitted new firing pins and ejector springs in mine last summer, and used it on high pheasants ..... Nice !

Bought one new in mid 80's for £450 sold it 10 years later for the same, wish I never had. Well balanced gun, as previous thread parts are not available, think they were made for Winchester by Nikko in Japan. One problem to watch is barrels are chrome lined and chrome can lift so check barrels well internally

I have a few never shoot anything else when I look at new stuff i think no another 101 will be best buy great quality great looking bit of history. Funny how a lot say you can not get spares but would buy a 100 year old s/s and not think about spares.

That's because all parts on 100 year old sxs guns were hand made so can be hand made today. Many parts on modern mass produced guns are machine made and not so easily hand made.

quite a few comments on spares for winchester/ classic doubles shot guns had a few over the years and just purchased a c/d model 92 which was made 1994 its so tight when you hold it horizontal open top lever it stays closed done nothing anyway back to spares all the guns i have owned since i was 17 now 59 i have never apart from a hatsan auto put a spare part on any gun i have used used a 6500 trap for years then a 3800 miroku thousands of shells fired at cpsa shoots the older stuff like cars where built to last not like the toffee materials made today so anyone thinking of buying a older gun dont be put off by the spares issues never stopped me and never will

Edited by pull2007

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 101 Diamond Grade last year, I noticed a mark on the barrels that made me think they were steel proofed. Could this be true for a gun of this age? I think it says Winchester proof or Winchester proof steel. Must have a look to confirm. Be interested to know although I doubt it would see much steel as I wouldn't use it on the shore, just be nice to know I can.