Winchester 101 O/U

hedd-wyn

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a 101 Diamond Grade last year, I noticed a mark on the barrels that made me think they were steel proofed. Could this be true for a gun of this age? I think it says Winchester proof or Winchester proof steel. Must have a look to confirm. Be interested to know although I doubt it would see much steel as I wouldn't use it on the shore, just be nice to know I can.

A friend of mine has a Diamond Grade 101 and often shoots steel through it. No idea if it`s proofed for it but it can certainly handle it with the correct chokes.

As Muffin has pointed out, many Winchesters of this period ( and earlier ) are stamped on the barrel 'Winchester proofed steel' Or something along those lines. It was a marketing strategy to emphasise the strength of Winchester barrels and is not an indication of them being steel shot proofed.

I have shot steel through most of mine at one time or another however and a Diamond Grade shorter I owned for some time was used for all my duck shooting with Gamebore Super Steel 4's and 3's. It never did any harm to the guns, but the ducks were devastated. :)

• 7 months later...

Hi just joined .i have a Winchester 400 .does any one now much about them .

Are they the same as a101 .its about 30yr old plus .still in good condition 12bore fixed choke full +modified