Chilli Growing

ollie

Last year was my first crack at growing Chillis and I got a few things wrong which I am going to try and make sure doesn't happen this year. Firstly I think I plated my seeds too late; they were planted late March and the plants were only starting to come good when the season was ending. My question is how early do you guys plant the seeds?

I also had my plants outside and due to the terrible Irish summers I don't think this helped. I am thinking of buying one of the compact greenhouses (only 20 or 30 quid) with the plastic covers to keep the plants out of the elements. Have any of you guys used these?

Finally, I don't like my chilli's too hot. Slightly warmer than Cayenne is plenty for me. Would any of you guys suggest something similar to Cayenne that I could plant and that would also be easy to grow in this awful climate.

Many thanks in advance :good:

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year was my first crack at growing Chillis and I got a few things wrong which I am going to try and make sure doesn't happen this year. Firstly I think I plated my seeds too late; they were planted late March and the plants were only starting to come good when the season was ending. My question is how early do you guys plant the seeds?

From end Jan and into Feb.

I also had my plants outside and due to the terrible Irish summers I don't think this helped. I am thinking of buying one of the compact greenhouses (only 20 or 30 quid) with the plastic covers to keep the plants out of the elements. Have any of you guys used these?

I have never put mine outside on their own but did try one of the plastic greenhouses over a frame. Quite a big one that you could walk into. Got really hot and was working well until it got windy. :lol: I found it half way across a field! I should have strapped it down rather than rely on the tent pegs and guy-lines that came with it.

Finally, I don't like my chilli's too hot. Slightly warmer than Cayenne is plenty for me. Would any of you guys suggest something similar to Cayenne that I could plant and that would also be easy to grow in this awful climate.

Last year, I grew a heap of Cherry Bombs that aren't too hot. They are nice stuffed with cheese and roasted. When I first started, I got a heap of seeds from South Devon Chilli Farm - their web site has some good growing tips and also info in the different types they sell. http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/

Don`t worry too much with greenhouses, as you can be badly hit by pests, I was just by putting them out for a few days of sun two years ago, however this year I had them indoors all the time and got excellent results.

I also used paint brushes (rabbit tails also work) to pollinate each variety by hand and this worked well too.

The plants from summer are now sat by my front door and even with the wonderful Scottish weather we are having, are now starting to flower again.

Follow Munglers easy peasy steps and you will have no bother at all.

From end Jan and into Feb.

I have never put mine outside on their own but did try one of the plastic greenhouses over a frame. Quite a big one that you could walk into. Got really hot and was working well until it got windy. :lol: I found it half way across a field! I should have strapped it down rather than rely on the tent pegs and guy-lines that came with it.

Last year, I grew a heap of Cherry Bombs that aren't too hot. They are nice stuffed with cheese and roasted. When I first started, I got a heap of seeds from South Devon Chilli Farm - their web site has some good growing tips and also info in the different types they sell. http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/

I had a look on their website last night and they do sell quite a variety of seeds. I was thinking of possibly the Apache F1 variety, it seems equalish in strength to the Cayenne and is quite easy to grow. Thanks for the advice mate.

Don`t worry too much with greenhouses, as you can be badly hit by pests, I was just by putting them out for a few days of sun two years ago, however this year I had them indoors all the time and got excellent results.

I also used paint brushes (rabbit tails also work) to pollinate each variety by hand and this worked well too.

The plants from summer are now sat by my front door and even with the wonderful Scottish weather we are having, are now starting to flower again.

Follow Munglers easy peasy steps and you will have no bother at all.

The reason I was thinking of a greenhouse is that my Dad doesn't like the plants scattered all around the house and the weather was too **** last year to have them out. I have over wintered a couple of my better plants from last year and hopefully they will come good in Spring.

normally start mine on the spare bedroom window cill (this coming weekend ) then will put into greenhouse aprilish always had good crops and normally overwinter a few but not bothered this winter :good:

Do you use a propagator? Have you any suggestions for types of Chillis to grow?

Just looking at South Devons chilli packs, I don't need/want 200 chilli plants! Anyone want to go halves?

Cost will be £10.25 plus postage, so what £11.50 at worst.

Ok, so deal is half of the pack as listed below, so approximately 100 seeds and I'll copy the instructions. It's not the cost that bothers me, but I guess the seeds will spoil over the year once opened and I'm not going to plant 200 seeds, knowing my luck I'll end up with 99% germination!!!! Costing is based on half the cost of the seeds and postage in a padded envelope.

10 of our best selling seeds, with a saving of £2.40 over buying them individually. Includes:- Paper Lantern Habanero(very hot),Orange Habanero(hot),Hungarian Hot Wax( medium), Long Slim Cayenne (hot), Serrano (medium), Pimientos de Padron (mild), Fresno (medium), Peruvian Purple (hot), Aji Limon (hot), Jalapeno (medium).

Every 'Top 10' seed selection comes with full printed instructions.

Contains an average of 20 seeds per packet (200 seeds in all).

Respond here or better still PM me, ta. :good:

Edited by -Mongrel-

Just looking at South Devons chilli packs, I don't need/want 200 chilli plants! Anyone want to go halves.

Cost will be £10.25 plus postage, so what £11.50 at worst.

Why don't you go onto ebay, they sell seeds for a quid or 2.

Do you use a propagator? Have you any suggestions for types of Chillis to grow?

propagator no, house is warm enough with the heating off in the spare room.

if you live near an asian supermaket pay them a visit you will normally find 4 or 5 different chilies on sale buy a couple of each variety (will cost pence) slice them length ways deseed leave them to dry out (a week will do) then place in fridge for another week then take out and plant in pots making sure you label which is which any ones you come across through the year do the same and your seeds will be very cheap .any you grow and like leave a couple of chilies on the plant to mature then remove and deseed for the following years seed supply :good: simples

most supermarkets sell pkts of dried chilies these too will contain seeds give em a go

Edited by holly

Well I have decided on a few different varieties:

Cayenne Golden

Twilight

Hungarian Hot Wax

Thai Birds Eye

F1 Apache

Will plant the seeds towards the end of January and I am going to get one of the plastic type Greenhouses ordered for when they are ready to go out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planting mine out this weekend into seed trays - remember, best quality seed compost / dirt, dusting of water (damp not wet) and then wrap in cling film and place on a window cill.

I've finally dried out the chillis, extracted the seeds and am ready to go.

1-19.jpg

I've got some names and addresses of people who PM'd earlier in the year for chillis - I should be getting them out this week and will include some seeds (but there were less than I had hoped for, so they're gold dust - I might just grow them out and then send out plug plants).

Even when dried out, I chopped them out to extract the seeds and then washed my hands afterwards. But whilst typing this I touched my bottom lip. I'm now crying. Bitchin hot.

Obviously, the tip to toning the heat down is to cook them / fry them off first before cooking / using.

It's this simple....

1-21.jpg

Sprinkle over with a light layer of dirt just so as to cover the seeds, then sprinkle with water and wrap in cling film.

Follow this and anyone can be a gardener.....

1-20.jpg

Leave on a bright window cill and when the green shoots come through, remove the clingfilm and then water regularly - best way to work out how much is the right amount of water is to pick the seed tray up - you will know immediately from its weight.

When the plants are a decent size and there's no frost outside then transplant to grow bags on a patio area or into pots and leave them on the window cill.

I've done 7 x 20 cell chillis, and 10 x 20 cell marrigolds and have about another 300 marrigolds to do tomorrow!

Bring on summer........

Edited by Mungler

Got them into seed trays today and put into the propagator. They are now in the airing cupboard above the tank. 5 x F1 Apache, 6 x Golden Cayenne, 6 x Hungarian Hot Wax & 7 x Birds Eye.

last year was my first go at chillies . i did the same as you , when they sprouted i think i left them in the airing cupboard too long . got to about 3" tall , fell over , died .

2nd go i took them out at about 1" , then widow cill for abit ,then green house .

I planted my seeds the other day got 5 different types on the go Habanero, Jalapeno, Scotch Bonnet, Cayenne and ring of fire!!! Did the jalapeno and scotch bonnet first and the rest about a week later have got loads of seedlings on the first lot and a the second lot just starting to show.