Chilli Growing

ollie

Lovely corking on the jalapeños. They can be picked dark green or red. They are referred to quite often as the pizza chilli as that is one of the main uses of them.

The growing season is coming to an end. I have loads of green chilli's waiting to ripen, but I don't think they all will before the first frost. I have got a good crop so far though.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a load of jalapeño and birds eye drying above our aga. I also freeze some in butter and make up some chilli oil. My Numex Twilight and scotch bonnet have not done so well this year, I have some chillin is from them but not as many as I expected. I am still waiting for my Naga Morich (ghost pepper) to give me some fruit. All are now in the poly tunnel so we should get another month or more out of them.

I have a load of jalapeño and birds eye drying above our aga. I also freeze some in butter and make up some chilli oil. My Numex Twilight and scotch bonnet have not done so well this year, I have some chillin is from them but not as many as I expected. I am still waiting for my Naga Morich (ghost pepper) to give me some fruit. All are now in the poly tunnel so we should get another month or more out of them.

Are you overwintering any of the plants. I am gonna leave mine in the greenhouse for another couple of weeks and then overwinter an orange hab & peri peri.

I have frozen the majority of my chillis this year. When the chillis stop ripening then I will dehydrate them all and turn them into powder.

I am going to leave them over winter in the poly tunnel and see how they go, but down here in Cornwall we don't do prolonged freezing weather, last winter I think we had maybe 3 frosts or so.

I hope they last the winter for you. They are not too keen on cold weather though. If they do last the winter then you should have a good early crop next year.

I hope they last the winter for you. They are not too keen on cold weather though. If they do last the winter then you should have a good early crop next year.

I am hoping that maybe 1 or 2 plants survive, the tunnel is well protected. Mind you I am hoping for some frost to bring the pheasants back to the feeders.

I am hoping that maybe 1 or 2 plants survive, the tunnel is well protected. Mind you I am hoping for some frost to bring the pheasants back to the feeders.

I'm the same. on one hand I would like the weather to stay mild for my chilli's to ripen and on the other hand I would like some hard frost for the woodcock. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Well it's heading for that magical time where I fail to grow any decent chillies. I've taken a punt and ordered from here http://www.semillas.de/shop_en/index.html

This was the order, a couple of daft varieties and a couple of sensible ones. I'll put the unused ones in the seed swap thread :good:

7pot Brainstrain Red

Naga Viper

Sweet Cayenne
Jimmy Nardello´s Sweet Frying

Anyone else got plans for this years chilli growing?

I'm gonna give the chilli's a miss this year. I grew that much last year that I sill have hundreds in the freezer, I have made powder, flakes & sauces and I still have loads to use.

My greenhouse is being used for sweet peppers, toms & strawberries this year.

Good luck everyone

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a surprise,

I tried a different approach this time and used jiffy plugs watered with a diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, in an unheated propagator in the airing cupboard. It's not even been 10 days and I have this :-)

Assuming they are the correct varieties I ordered I wouldn't hesitate in ordering from the link I posted as they are clearly good quality seeds.

Is this the time to now put in sunlight or should I wait until the rest are showing?

I'm only gonna need these so check out the seed swap thread!

20150306_091001_zpsvqgdnfry.jpg

• 1 year later...

Another year passes it's that time again.

I tried overwintering for the first time and 3/4 survived, one liked it so much it fruited which was unexpected!

The seedlings are 5 Cayenne and 2 Brainstrain SR. Yes I know leggy they shot up in airing cupboard before I noticed, as per my last post potting them deeper sorts this issue. These will all be hydroponic when they're big enough.

Who's growing what?

IMG_20160320_094625_zpsauw5cifo.jpg

IMG_20160320_094701_zpsrfptxzfm.jpg

Another year passes it's that time again.

I tried overwintering for the first time and 3/4 survived, one liked it so much it fruited which was unexpected!

The seedlings are 5 Cayenne and 2 Brainstrain SR. Yes I know leggy they shot up in airing cupboard before I noticed, as per my last post potting them deeper sorts this issue. These will all be hydroponic when they're big enough.

Who's growing what?

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=f8390d874e29ac0415d571959e608170&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=192470&p=3026767&md5check=845a020e895db4f1fb15ab7a2af9a482&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,gmjYsGlCGI4');//]]></script> IMG_20160320_094625_zpsauw5cifo.jpg&&0

IMG_20160320_094701_zpsrfptxzfm.jpg

Yours arrived so cheers again fella.

Will get them sorted this week and hopefully see good progress.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update,

The seedlings are ticking along on the window sill, I've been brave and cleaned out the greenhouse and set this up. diy deep water culture hydroponics. at the moment 3 as one of the overwintered plants died but I'll set the forth up when one of the seedlings is big enough.

New this year also is topping the overwintered plants, I watched an interesting video on youtube and true to the video it's stimulated new growth and will hopefully give a bushier type plant.

Each of the pots is 10L and I've used 5ML per litre of chilli focus food. Hopefully these will explode when the roots escape from the net pot and start drinking the good stuff!

IMG_20160412_134942_zpsjtlvrjel.jpg

IMG_20160412_124808_zpsty8r97kg.jpg

IMG_20160412_134847_zpsm0qm2nqg.jpg

IMG_20160412_134911_zpsd0r8zayx.jpg

IMG_20160412_125909_zpss3fmsg0b.jpg

IMG_20160412_131642_zpsaqzffttd.jpg

Edited by Muddy Funker

Update,

The seedlings are ticking along on the window sill, I've been brave and cleaned out the greenhouse and set this up. diy deep water culture hydroponics. at the moment 3 as one of the overwintered plants died but I'll set the forth up when one of the seedlings is big enough.

New this year also is topping the overwintered plants, I watched an interesting video on youtube and true to the video it's stimulated new growth and will hopefully give a bushier type plant.

Each of the pots is 10L and I've used 5ML per litre of chilli focus food. Hopefully these will explode when the roots escape from the net pot and start drinking the good stuff!

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=bb11c2b6c2fd09cb16fe312920acb276&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=192470&p=3041380&md5check=ff205472fdade450dbd550c68de80a08&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,2i9IkAobR-w');//]]></script> IMG_20160412_134942_zpsjtlvrjel.jpg&&0![cdata[>

IMG_20160412_124808_zpsty8r97kg.jpg

IMG_20160412_134847_zpsm0qm2nqg.jpg

IMG_20160412_134911_zpsd0r8zayx.jpg

IMG_20160412_125909_zpss3fmsg0b.jpg

IMG_20160412_131642_zpsaqzffttd.jpg

![cdata[>

Nice set-up. Those plants look like they are going to be nice & compact with hopefully loads of fruit!!!

![cdata[>![cdata[>

Thanks Ollie,

I've put a small seedling in the fourth bucket as having three was messing with my ocd haha.

I already had the pump and the net pots so all I needed was a few metres of airline hose, the buckets with lids and the air stones. Buckets from ebay, and air stones from china via ebay as I was in no rush. I'm hoping to get some good results as I've grown garden herbs in a dwc set up before and the results were very good. I've never set up individual buckets per plant though. Just have to make sure to change water and nutrients every couple of weeks.

I've also got a 4 pot autopot set up which I'll put the other seedlings in when big enough, this a more a fill up and forget hydroponic system, I'll use coco coir and perlite as the growing medium in this set up.

Probably would be easier to just buy a packet of chillies from tesco haha! :rolleyes:

Thanks Ollie,

I've put a small seedling in the fourth bucket as having three was messing with my ocd haha.

I already had the pump and the net pots so all I needed was a few metres of airline hose, the buckets with lids and the air stones. Buckets from ebay, and air stones from china via ebay as I was in no rush. I'm hoping to get some good results as I've grown garden herbs in a dwc set up before and the results were very good. I've never set up individual buckets per plant though. Just have to make sure to change water and nutrients every couple of weeks.

I've also got a 4 pot autopot set up which I'll put the other seedlings in when big enough, this a more a fill up and forget hydroponic system, I'll use coco coir and perlite as the growing medium in this set up.

Probably would be easier to just buy a packet of chillies from tesco haha! :rolleyes:

I don't have the first clue about all those hydrophonics set-ups, but I have red that they are very good for growing chilli's.

A couple of years ago I made my own homemade self-watering plants using a wick into a 3 litre well underneath. It was amazing how much the plants drunk at the height of summer.

I don't have the first clue about all those hydrophonics set-ups, but I have red that they are very good for growing chilli's.

A couple of years ago I made my own homemade self-watering plants using a wick into a 3 litre well underneath. It was amazing how much the plants drunk at the height of summer.

I know what you mean. It can get quite complicated but this set up as you can see is really easy. If you look up deep water culture on youtube there's plenty of guides and this seems to be the least complicated system.

I contacted the people that make chilli focus to make sure the feed ratio is correct as I think hydroponics can be so efficient you can use less, he confirmed 5ml per litre growing stage, then when it blossoms go up to 10ml per litre.

I'll post updates as it goes on.