Chilli Growing

ollie

Just grew everything in the house usually so decided to create a wee greenhouse outside and the plan was just something small.

However,its grown arms and legs but should be spot on when finished.Didnt realise the amount of timber needed and have been putting in a shift till dark after work but another couple of evenings should kill it hopefully.Size is approx 6.5m x 0.9m and will fit plenty.

003_zps306c3shn.jpg

004_zps497njqmr.jpg

005_zpsg9scq024.jpg

006_zpspgmuxkme.jpg

008_zpswrmlwkxp.jpg

009_zpszx6eda8m.jpg

010_zpsyltfjeq0.jpg

011_zpsineihvpz.jpg

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good dave.

One bit of advice I would give; make sure you leave space to walk between the plants. If you are putting tomatoes in those grow bags at the bottom you will need to get in to pinch the suckers off.

I like what you did at the back. The reflective material will be good for growing.

Looks good dave.

One bit of advice I would give; make sure you leave space to walk between the plants. If you are putting tomatoes in those grow bags at the bottom you will need to get in to pinch the suckers off.

I like what you did at the back. The reflective material will be good for growing.

Cheers Ollie.

The bags were thrown in to get them out of the way really,so not 100% sure of the set up.Been modifying things every evening but finally think im finished.Pretty green when it comes to greenhouse growing but the old fella is coming through this weekend hopefully so will get some "constructive" critism hopefully.

Not sure,but the internal depth of the house is around 900mm so reaching over to nip bits off shouldnt be too hard although as said not too sure yet.

Have one long planter with 2 shelf planters above so will need to work out what goes where regarding the sun needed.

Came home around 1500 today and the thermometer was reading just shy of 110 degrees so will need to keep an eye on heat and water.

Make sure you've got some ventilation in there to keep the plants healthy. Should be able to supply the street with chillies looking at the set up.

Top job

Cheers fella.

Have made a window opeing at either end after realising the heat generated so hopefully that will be enough.

Have a mixture of plants in it and **** law we have a very hard frost this morning but hoping all is good.

Have near everything in although still waiting for the strawberries to arrive.

Amazing the heat generated even with a short spell of sun and having to watch the temp as gets very cosy.

Onions are not half growing and the tomatoes are flowering with the chilies not far behind.Leeks look as though they could be affected by the heat so have windows and a door open to keep it doon.

012_zpsrgxohrww.jpg

011_zpsrxiwyzct.jpg

010_zpsxecc9spo.jpg

009_zpsg4aibixh.jpg

008_zpscyvqr8ou.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the gutter on but still not painted but will do the now.

Everything growing at a scary rate of knots and the tomatoes and chili are flowered.Think i was giving the chili too much water but since stopping they are looking way better.

Had a few strawberries off the hanging plants but the new ones from Unwins came in a terrible state but they will come on ok.

Fine having everything contained although have a few various stuff in planters still.

001_zpskqezwfax.jpg

003_zpsuucsawte.jpg

002_zpsfgzpagvy.jpg

004_zpsdcuck0t9.jpg

005_zpsb4r0kfyh.jpg

006_zpsxkb6oztl.jpg008_zpsyh0zxcim.jpg

We've not long had our veggiepatch up and running, so not a whole lot happening atm. But, im intregued to see how the chillies come on, put apache chillis down. Apparently they're quite common but can be pretty hot as much as 75,000 on the scoville, i dont know how true that is but i can't waite to get some flowering! fingers crossed

We've not long had our veggiepatch up and running, so not a whole lot happening atm. But, im intregued to see how the chillies come on, put apache chillis down. Apparently they're quite common but can be pretty hot as much as 75,000 on the scoville, i dont know how true that is but i can't waite to get some flowering! fingers crossed

I had Apache F1 last year and had a good crop once i gleaned some good info from here,one bit being not to overwater.

Have this year also and they are looking good and strong and just on the verge of flowering.Wouldnt say they are that hot really,just a nice manageable heat imo.

I've got a Trinidad scorpion doing well in the greenhouse. Have to see how/if it fruits. Fingers crossed

Just got myself a scorpion plant, along with about 6 apache plants... Apaches are starting to flower so thats a good sign.. Scorpion still growing... Not sure im going to enjoy trying the scorpion though haha

Edited by ShootingEgg

I had some caroline reaper puree. It was atomic hot. In fact it was probably a little hotter that nuclear fison.

The tip of a tooth pick of it on your tounge was akin to a red hot poker.

The scorpion should be good in a chilli then.......

the apache are good. A nice heat a d nothing silly. Crop well and are easy to grow.

The only downside is that they taste of rainbows to all the slugs and snails so protect them.

I had some caroline reaper puree. It was atomic hot. In fact it was probably a little hotter that nuclear fison.

the apache are good. A nice heat a d nothing silly. Crop well and are easy to grow.

The only downside is that they taste of rainbows to all the slugs and snails so protect them.

Yeah the apaches are guarded... The scorpion being 1.2m on the scale will be insane.... Edited by ShootingEgg

got a few of those in , looks like im in for a surprise then :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

got a few of those in , looks like im in for a surprise then :lol:

I got a few chili seeds off Muddy Funker,who said they were hot.

They are growing well so checked online yesterday so see what TLC they need and put in Brain Strain chili,and its not looking good.Supposedly one of the hottest in the world and the only upside will be catching Mac out when he tastes one.

• 2 weeks later...

Chilli update,

In my haste the plants I put out in the green house got hit with the last really cold snap we had here. They really took a beating and I thought I'd lost the overwintered ones after the effort to keep them alive so long, stupid boy.

It's taken ages with the roots submerged before new white roots shot out but they have pulled through and have started taking off.

The plants on the left in the buckets were the overwintered ones that took the hit, back right was overwintered but wasn't fussed about the cold, front right was a seedling this year.

The black Autopot system has same seedlings in the front two pots and the brain strain sr seedlings in the back. Sako how are yours doing as mine are growing so slowly, they're hardly doing anything?

Last one is again one of the seedlings that I just put in this pot with coir and perlite and am feeding with same ratio as the ones in the Autopots which also have the same coit/perlite mix. I did this as a control type plant, hardly scientific but just to see how the same seedlings sown at the same time and grown in 3 different ways respond.

Will see how they all end up :good:

IMG_20160612_140144_zps4rc7mzwb.jpg

IMG_20160612_140150_zpsc43afg9j.jpg

IMG_20160612_140204_zpsc6jirizl.jpg

IMG_20160612_140218_zpsmm1vmbqj.jpg

IMG_20160612_140244_zpsntdu5gtc.jpg

IMG_20160612_140258_zpsyyhhgddu.jpg

IMG_20160612_140130_zpsbwrkgqle.jpg

IMG_20160612_140140_zpsezglb5ht.jpg

IMG_20160612_140440_zps1q7umlti.jpg

Edited by Muddy Funker

Will take some pics tomorrow but the brainstrains are so slow ive given up hope.

Mine were obviously well behind yours but still hard to believe how slow they are.Ive ended up taking one back in to the kitchen and will see how it goes.

Everything else is shooting up and looking well though.Some tomatoes are on 4th truss and looking to have a decent crop.