Chilli Growing

ollie

My first Chilli seed has popped it's head above the dirt today. I planted the F1 Apache on 18th January so that is 12 days, better than last year. The other 3 varieties were planted a week later so I expect them to be a bit longer.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where mine are, how are all yours doing?

I guess they need to stay here for a while, and then need potting into something bigger?

post-2157-0-88629000-1332522650.jpg

I would probably plant them onto bigger pots now; it seems to be a general rule of thumb that you plant them on when they have 2 sets of true leaves.

Here is a couple of pics I took yesterday of my progress:

PICT0436.jpg

PICT0437.jpg

PICT0439.jpg

Last year I had only just sowed the seeds by this stage so I have a 2 month headstart.

This is where mine are, how are all yours doing?

I guess they need to stay here for a while, and then need potting into something bigger?

post-2157-0-88629000-1332522650.jpg

When did you plant the seeds? Ours look just a bit smaller than yours planted on 19th February.

The follow on from my 21.01.12 seed in dirt post, is that 2 months later they look like this:

1. Wilco Jalepenos

1-32.jpg

1-33.jpg

2. My home brewed bombers (4 years crossed with who knows what).

1-34.jpg

1-35.jpg

They are getting a bit leggy but this year I started them earlier - every year it seemed to be that just as summer came to an end all the chillis came into fruit and were cut short (having run out of "season time").

So, I started 6 weeks earlier and will have to keep them in until 1st May to be sure to avoid any frosts.

The home grown bombers are dwarf, and so they won't get too tall, leggy or otherwise suffer from being on a window cill too long.

I'm going to see if I can dig out the plastic post containers and ship some plug plants out to the people who I promised seeds to earlier.

• 4 weeks later...

Having just read this thread I fancy having a go at growing some chilli plants. However, most of you have planted your seeds months ago, so...my question is, am I too late to start this year with seeds? If so, and plug plants are the way to go are there any recommended sites to get them from?

Thanks for any advice.

Having just read this thread I fancy having a go at growing some chilli plants. However, most of you have planted your seeds months ago, so...my question is, am I too late to start this year with seeds? If so, and plug plants are the way to go are there any recommended sites to get them from?

Thanks for any advice.

It recommends that seeds are planted between January-March so you may be a bit late. However, why not buy plug plants, if they go well you can save a couple of chilli pods for germinating next season.

I have never really bought plug plants; however, I did go to B&Q on Saturday to look for some and the quality was awful, I did get one nice F1 Cheyenne. Try your local garden centre and you may get lucky.

Quick update on my progress. All the plants are out in the greenhouse permanently and have been for a week or so; night time temps aren't falling below 6oc and the plants seem to be getting on ok. I have kept one plant of each variety indoors on a sunny windowsill as an experiment to find out whether the greenhouse or indoors produces more fruit.

I have noticed this morning my first buds coming through on both Hungarian Hot Wax's and on 4 of my Golden Cayenne. Last year my first buds never appeared to late July, so the early planting this year has certainly done the trick. :good:

How is everyone else getting on?

I have 2 from last year and one is in fruit and the other is in flower and still loads of fruit from last year dried and in the freezer :good:

What plant is that Henry? You have a lot of fruit on it so early in the season. :good:

What plant is that Henry? You have a lot of fruit on it so early in the season. :good:

Sorry for the late reply Ollie (Busy at college), its an over wintered plant from last year. Mungler sent the seeds about 3 or more years ago and this is the result of pollination by paintbrush to try and keep it as close to the original as I like the flavour :good:

The one in flower was another nice one from piebob that has nice little fruits, however it grows better in a really hot greenhouse (which I no longer have :( )

Edited by henry d

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for any advice.

theres a company on evilbay selling plug plants they post on mondays and ive had a few from them you can get lots of different types and not too bad priced.