Chilli Growing

ollie

Has anyone grown the larger Mexican chilles like Ancho, or Chipotle? I'm wondering if he season is long enough in the UK to grow these without a greenhouse.

I did a chipotle type a couple of years ago, sown in Feb and always indoors by large south facing window. The chillies were OK but not as hot as I would have liked.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a chipotle type a couple of years ago, sown in Feb and always indoors by large south facing window. The chillies were OK but not as hot as I would have liked.

Chipotles aren't really very hot. They are more for flavour than heat. Good to know they can actually produce a crop here - I have some dried chipotles with the seeds intact - I might well take one of those seeds and see if they germinate.

Hi all, I have 4 chilli plants oon the go at the moment. I found the seeds on the floor so threw them in, can't remember what they are though. One has shot up, one is a dwarf and doesnt seem to grow at all, the other 2 are in between. I will post pics when i get around to it.

I saw some people had some left over seeds they didnt want. Are there any still kicking about out there? I'd love to give a few more varieties a go, but not sure what to look for really. I grew prairie fire before, they were nice.

And yes, shilli and cheese on toast is awesome. And I found the laziest way of doing it. Grate a handfull of cheese into a bowl, sprinkle over your chilli flakes/sliced chilli, and pop in the microwave for about 40 seconds, then just pour onto your toast! quick and easy, and the wife doesnt moan at me for ages to clean the grill pan...

Looked at my seeds today, (1 week) and there is a little bit of white mold growing on the soil? Will this habe damaged my seeds? There is no sign of any of the seeds growing yet.

Thanks

If its just a little mold, the seeds should be fine, but be careful not to over water the soil, as you'll rot the seed. Depending on the variety of chilli, you may not see any growth for 3 plus weeks. Happy growing!

• 4 months later...

Looks similar to a chilli I have, from seeds Mungler gave me a good while ago. I also saved seeds from a supposedly Naga chilli from Tesco and it is going well too.

That first image looks like Apache F1 or Cheyenne. I love Apache F1, such a great producer and a nice heat for my palette.

• 5 months later...

It's that time of year again and time to get ready to put the chilli seeds into some dirt.

After a wash out summer in 2012, I didn't bother for 2013 but am jumping back on the chilli bike this year.

The order from the Devon Chilli Farm has just arrived......

What have you gone for?

I've just looked at that site and quite fancy giving the chocolate habanero a crack.

Along with something a little more sensible!

Guys,

I've bought some seeds off the bay and have way more than I'll need.

First person to say pick me pick me can have 10 Apache F1 and 10 hot wax seeds.

:good:

If you want I will swap you some Bulgarian Carrot seeds for the Apache F1? I don't like the Hot Wax so I wouldn't use them.