Chilli Growing

ollie

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting bit on TV this morning, explaining the Scoville Scale. I'd heard of it, but didn't understand it, a bit like the Beaufort Scale... A chilli with a rating of 50,000 needs that amount of water adding to it proportionately, i.e. 1 to 50,000, so that you can no longer taste the chilli. One with a rating of 500,000 needs a ratio of 1 part chilli to 500,000 parts water. Wow!

Mike.

PS, got a cucumber coming through now as well. Toms going leggy, so taken them out of the propagator, but still in the conservatory.

Interesting bit on TV this morning, explaining the Scoville Scale. I'd heard of it, but didn't understand it, a bit like the Beaufort Scale... A chilli with a rating of 50,000 needs that amount of water adding to it proportionately, i.e. 1 to 50,000, so that you can no longer taste the chilli. One with a rating of 500,000 needs a ratio of 1 part chilli to 500,000 parts water. Wow!

Mike.

PS, got a cucumber coming through now as well. Toms going leggy, so taken them out of the propagator, but still in the conservatory.

my toms are just coming up in the cold greenhouse

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't these ****** super hot varieties germinate ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first lot definitely weren't going to work, maybe I'm being too impatient with the second batch?

I'm not massively fussed as the seeds don't cost much but I'll have a greenhouse this year so had a good chance of getting them to fruit.

I looked at getting seedlings but they cost quite a lot at around £15 for 6! That's more than all the seeds I've bought together.

Maybe I should have spent a bit more on the seeds rather than chancing it on ebay, the choccy habaneros are doing well though.

So the scores so far,,,,

Chocolate Habanero - 7 strong seedlings :-)
Naga - Nil :-(

Numex Rainbow - Nil :-(
Carolina Reaper - Nil :-(

Doing well :/

I think they can also takes a fair few weeks to kick off so maybe I messed up in giving up on the first ones? Never mind.

I'm going to build one of these also, I've bought the pots 6 x 5" the container which is an under bed storage box with lid and two 12" air stones for around £25, I've already got an air pump.

Could be interesting?

Edited by Muddy Funker

So, an update:

I made a paper plan for what was where in my propagator, fool-proof, 'till I realised I was reading it downside up!!! Duh!!! It's Hot Wax that have all come through, only one Basket of Fire, and NO Apache at all... Disappointed :( . All my sweet pointy peppers (don't know what they are, saved from seed, started several years ago and can't remember what they were now) are through. 3 out of 4 cucumbers, and toms Tigerella, Marmande, Money Maker, Golden Sunrise and Gardener's Delight full germination!

Mike.

Good luck with the DWC system. After watching right the way through, I came to the conclusion that he could have passed on the info in about half the time, but finding that you need to 'change it out' every one or two weeks, I think it is too labour intensive for me. I'll be interested to hear how you get on though!

ATB,

Mike

all my jalapenos and purple cayennes came through in about 5 days, chuffed but the seedlings seem to be growing quite tall and still only the couple leaves on top, is that usual?

Sounds like they need more light.

I bought some seedlings today. There were hardly any dearer than seeds.

Spent all day yesterday erecting my first glass greenhouse, quite complicated & long process but I'm really pleased with it, can't wait to use it.

EA165B09-42B0-4F0D-9228-8E648CF2DD4F_zps

I have planted all my toms & chilli's onto bigger pots. I planted lettuce & radish seeds last week. Weather is starting to get decent so let's hope for a good season.

Looking good! Well Done!!!

Mine was a second hand one, that I never saw erected, so I had great fun building it... :no:

Now, HELP!!!

Got home from work tonight, went into the conservatory where all the seedlings are in the (now uncovered) propagator, to find two of my three successful greenhouse cucumbers are minus their leaves :sad1: . No sign of a slug or anything, they are in John Innes seed compost from a newly opened bag, and it just looks like something has eaten the seed leaves. But what?

Mike.

Good luck with the DWC system. After watching right the way through, I came to the conclusion that he could have passed on the info in about half the time, but finding that you need to 'change it out' every one or two weeks, I think it is too labour intensive for me. I'll be interested to hear how you get on though!

ATB,

Mike

I think I'm only going to grow garden herbs like basil, coriander in this dwc system. I'll keep people updated though.

Chilli update, drum roll please,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have a baby naga woohoo!!!!!!!!!! Poss too late I'm not sure?

Hopefully some more of the super hots will come though, chocolate habaneros are rocking and rolling.

20140410_111408_zpsdmdnk7un.jpg

20140410_111327_zpsmwlna5my.jpg

I've got 4 auto pots running off a reservoir so these will cater for 4 plants of my choice to grow in clay pebbles hydroponically, these are brilliant systems.

I also had a good result on Ebay, I collected 7 of these yesterday for £12, they're massive! Photo taken for comparison next to a half whisky barrel.

They'll take some filling but I'm hoping to grow some absolute monster chilli plants in these :-)

20140412_170019_zps47stncdo.jpg

Oh I'm hiring a turf cutter on Monday as I'm also putting a new lawn down, looks dreadful in the photo.

Edit: Just realised do you you mean what are the seedlings growing in now? Those are rock wool cubes, brilliant for starting seeds off. These massive pots will be the final resting place for a few of the plants.

Edited by Muddy Funker

Edit: Just realised do you you mean what are the seedlings growing in now? Those are rock wool cubes, brilliant for starting seeds off. These massive pots will be the final resting place for a few of the plants.

Yeah that's what I meant. I'll have to try the rock wool next year.👍

• 3 weeks later...

Just realised do you you mean what are the seedlings growing in now? Those are rock wool cubes, brilliant for starting seeds off. These massive pots will be the final resting place for a few of the plants.

What do you do when you transplant? Plant the whole cube or tease the seedling out of it?

• 2 weeks later...

What do you do when you transplant? Plant the whole cube or tease the seedling out of it?

Hi mate,

Sorry it's taken a while to reply I totally forgot about this thread. On this occasion I carefully tore the cube in half to get the seedling out and then just transplanted it as you would normally.

I did lose a couple of the root strands but it doesn't seem to have mattered.

Update, the guys at the front are the chocolate habanero with one in a bigger pot, then the naga in another bigger pot. The numex twilight are growing slowly.

Then I'm afraid I cheated and bought some plugs from world of chillies as the carolina reaper refused to germinate. I bought 3 but they sent 4 so I've got a carolina reaper, butch t trinidad scorpion, chocolate douglah and the free one just listed as scorpion.

20140510_100220_zpszcatkczb.jpg

And the greenhouse I got for a fiver on friday ads is nearly finished. me and a pal fixed up loads of rotten wood and have replaced glass with polycarbonate. Just needs one more roof panel that we messed up and a couple of touch ups with stain and sealant and it'll be home for the chillies. I'm really pleased with it.

20140317_114630_zpsbbc6hs7v.jpg

20140510_100321_zpsshriqf11.jpg

And the greenhouse I got for a fiver on friday ads is nearly finished. me and a pal fixed up loads of rotten wood and have replaced glass with polycarbonate. Just needs one more roof panel that we messed up and a couple of touch ups with stain and sealant and it'll be home for the chillies. I'm really pleased with it.

Proper touch! ....I want a green house :sad1:

Edited by -Mongrel-