Best battery for rotary

dobbin66

For a rotary to be truly effective it needs to run at the fastest possible speed - ALL the time it's out there.

(Presumably the machine will be utilising a vehicle wiper motor, so make sure you have it wired to give the highest speed.)

The very best battery is a 50 - 70AH car type battery (unfortunately very heavy and not cheap).

For best results and longevity Buy a new one and fully re-charge it after use. It will give your rotary up to 16 hours of top speed.

If you try and use any lesser AH battery the machine will begin to slow down after 15 - 20minutes AND you won't notice BUT the pigeons will !

While I'm on the subject don't even think about using a speed controller just keep the machine on top speed.

Of course some days the birds won't be interested in your rotary (fast or slow) but you will only know that AFTER you have humped it on to the field and set it up !!!

N.B.

There is a moral to this story.

Edit bit .... I forgot to say, use dead birds but remove breast meat.

Edited by P.Shuter

I partly agree with the previous poster regards using as big a battery as you can, but being that most people can't drive to every spot on a field, weight has to play a part in choosing the battery to suit you.

On average you will find rotary's use aproximately 2amps per hour, so a 12amp battery should give you around 6 hours use.

My prefered size battery is a 15 amp battery which gives me a good 7 hours use with dead birds, more with Hyperflaps and or using a speed controller. I find the weight acceptible to carry in my kit bag, and if it runs out a single trip to the car to swap it over is better than lugging a car battery across a muddy field.

For a rotary to be truly effective it needs to run at the fastest possible speed - ALL the time it's out there.

(Presumably the machine will be utilising a vehicle wiper motor, so make sure you have it wired to give the highest speed.)

The very best battery is a 50 - 70AH car type battery (unfortunately very heavy and not cheap).

For best results and longevity Buy a new one and fully re-charge it after use. It will give your rotary up to 16 hours of top speed.

If you try and use any lesser AH battery the machine will begin to slow down after 15 - 20minutes AND you won't notice BUT the pigeons will !

While I'm on the subject don't even think about using a speed controller just keep the machine on top speed.

Of course some days the birds won't be interested in your rotary (fast or slow) but you will only know that AFTER you have humped it on to the field and set it up !!!

N.B.

if i used my magnet without speed controller and at full speed, 1, its that fast , chances of dead birds flying of and ending up 50 yards down field is very high, 2, the machine its self would fall over even tho the prongs are 18" in the ground

Edited by browning n spaniel

N.B.

I usually set my magnet speed according to wind speed and/or the speed in which the pigeons are comming into the decoys.

ie, on a still summer day when the birds are just floating about, I have the speed quite low.

Iv found having the magnet flat out spooks the birds.

Clearly neither of you have a 'proper' rotary, obviously if the one is firing the dead birds off then fasten em on with cable ties !!

If the other won't stay in the ground when going fast it must be inferior quality.

What a couple of tossers.

cheers mate, what a nice guy you are :lol: :look:

Clearly neither of you have a 'proper' rotary, obviously if the one is firing the dead birds off then fasten em on with cable ties !!

If the other won't stay in the ground when going fast it must be inferior quality.

How was that called for?

Wind your neck in fella!!!!

Some one has been in the sherbert.......Some opinions should be kept to ones self :o :no:

atb Jim

:lol:

Yes mate,

I guess we'd best save up our pocket moneys and get ''proper'' ones :lol:

:lol: think we should mate, i made mine from 240v tumble dryier, i got 2 croc clips and just have to make shore i set up next to over head wires :lol:

NOTE before sum hero starts telling me about health and saftey, I WAS JOKING :lol:

Edited by browning n spaniel

N.B.

Hmmm.. The pigeons notice, do they? What do they do when they notice?

Are you saying it's impossible to decoy pigeons with anything less than a car battery attached to a magnet?

Edited by motty

if i used my magnet without speed controller and at full speed, 1, its that fast , chances of dead birds flying of and ending up 50 yards down field is very high, 2, the machine its self would fall over even tho the prongs are 18" in the ground

Dead birds will likely never fall off and magnet should never fall over, even when rotating at high speed.

I gave up on batteries, so I just got a small car battery.

Lasts 4 whole days before I need to charge it up :good:

Snap...we use a 75amp leisure battery..lasts for days,and the leisure batteries are designed to be run right down before charging unlike a standard car battery..obviously we only use it when we can drive to where the hide is...which is nearly every time..

another cleaver lad , dont you think i dont no that

maybe they shouldnt fly off or magnet fall over when using at high speed, but guess wat,,,,,,,,,,, IT DOES

Something doesn't sound right!

I can understand the magnet falling over if the ground isn't firm enough. If that's the case try placing the magnet on a tractor track where the ground will be more compact.

The pigeons should never fly off the magnet though no matter how fast it's spinning. The centre spike is pushed through the ****, through the body and spiked onto the head of the bird, the rotary pushes constantly into the bird from behind, the laws of physics says the bird cannot be pushed forward off the spike!!!!!