Sparrow Hawk attacked my Decoys

Toon Pigeon

Hi all,

Went out on Saturday to a few fields I can shoot over near Goole. I had a uneventful morning, not a shot fired !!! :angry: I moved fields in the afternoon with the hope of not going home with a "Blank" (I did blank as it happens). It was windy, the rain came on and off most of the day so as you can imagine I was not best pleased, but you win some you lose some was the thought running through my mind.

What did brighten my day was watching a Sparrow Hawk, swooping in to attack one of my plastic decoys not 20 yds from the front of my hide, what a sight, out of nowhere it crashed down onto the decoy and I swear I could see the shock that the decoy did'nt do what the hawk was expecting, it slipped of the plastic back and literally stared eye to eye at the decoy as if to say "What the f@*k is going on here". It was on the ground for a good 5 minutes moving from one decoy to the other before finally flying away.

So I blanked, it happens to the best I assume. The weather was ****, but such is life, you can't always have gloriuos sunshine. But that Hawk and its antics will stay with me alot longer than the memory of not having shot a thing all day. :good::rolleyes:

Has anyone else had a Hawk attack their decoys?

ive had regular spars and buzzards. one spar was plucking a pigeon and finished up about two yards away from my hide stood on it, ive even had a buzzard chasing the spinner (gormless bird) didnt catch it though

Edited by m0t0deb

I have had it on two different occasions but it was a perigrene falcon that was attacking the decoys, the first time it came in low and fast and swooped over the pattern, before looping round and landing on a shell decoy, then it wandered around the pattern jumping on each decoy, eventualy flew away as i couldn't stifle my laughing anymore. Next time it happened was a couple of years later on the same field (dont know if it was the same bird) i was trying to get my phone out to take a picture of it when it got spooked. This time i had shells, fuds and silosocks out but it was only intrested in the shells which i think says a lot for the decoys.

As you said an amazing sight that will stick with me for a long time.

Tom