Whats a good mod for a .17hmr

farmshooter

A lot of it comes down to personal preference, there is minimal difference in the sound reduction due to the sonic crack of the bullet leaving the barrel. I have an over barrel Wildcat Whisper on my HMR now but used to have a Sak & both work fine. The Sak is far cheaper than the Wildcat but I prefer the shorter more solid Wildcat.

Personally i have a DM80 mod and its a great bit of well built kit although its the old style. If i had to replace what i have now it would be a tough one between a new DM80 at £100+ and a simple SAK at £40 !

I cant hear any difference between them when compared next to each other (my lamping partner has SAK).

So i think it would be down to looks or finances at the time.

Thin barrel = SAK and keep the weight down

Havey barrel (varmint) = DM80

But with either to reduce flar from lamps etc i would get a cover for each or as ive done, i covered mine with some green sniper tape :good:

Don't know what rifle you're planning on. I've got an HW60 and looked at a DM80. It was a bit of a head ache because the rifle only has a 14" barrel and there's barely enough room to get a reflex mod to fit in front of the fore-end. To make things worse its a heavy barrel and tapered.

I gave up and stuck with the SAK. Having handled HWs with other mods one thing I really like about the SAK is its lightness. The rifle is beautifully balanced, particularly prone without a bipod, and a heavy mod ruins it and gives it the wobbles.

Another possibility. Just been reading about the Hardy Gen 111 from Riflecraft in Shooting Sports. Ally, £90 for a muzzle can and reckoned to have the edge on the SAK for noise suppression. Other than what I've read I know nothing about these. Anyone else got any more info?

I use a SAK on my CZ first and foremost because it was cheap,but it does do a good job. :good:

The only down side is that on the end of a 20" barrel it makes the rifle a bit harder to handle in confined spaces. I would definitely consider some of the reflex silencers in the future to cut down on the overall length.

Don't know what rifle you're planning on. I've got an HW60 and looked at a DM80. It was a bit of a head ache because the rifle only has a 14" barrel and there's barely enough room to get a reflex mod to fit in front of the fore-end. To make things worse its a heavy barrel and tapered.

I gave up and stuck with the SAK. Having handled HWs with other mods one thing I really like about the SAK is its lightness. The rifle is beautifully balanced, particularly prone without a bipod, and a heavy mod ruins it and gives it the wobbles.

Another possibility. Just been reading about the Hardy Gen 111 from Riflecraft in Shooting Sports. Ally, £90 for a muzzle can and reckoned to have the edge on the SAK for noise suppression. Other than what I've read I know nothing about these. Anyone else got any more info?

get in touch with dave mercer (DM80 ON HERE) and he wil make a mod for your gun i have a anschutz 1417 and 1517 with 14" barrels both with dm80s on them and wouldnt have anything else plus daves a great bloke and will help you as much as he can

cheers dave

Guys, there ISN'T a good mod for a .17HMR, and I have tried a lot of them.

Some may be smaller than others, some may be lighter than others, some may be slightly quieter than others, and some may be cheaper than others, what is acceptable is what you want.

The DM80 is probably the quietest I have tried on a HMR (JUST, but you would struggle to notice! :hmm: ), but it is also one of the biggest and heaviest, and it certainly isn't the cheapest either.

The Whisper is an expensive joke, the Cub is useless but very small and light, Sirocco isn't clever and falls apart, and so it goes!

I haven't heard or used the http://thirdeyetactical.com/thirdeye_website_008.htm , it is meant to be ok, but I can still get a SAK round here for £35, and with the lifetime Jackson Rifles guarantee (see their site for details) I can't be ***** to **** around with anything else.

ATB!

SAK gets my vote as well. I have one on both the 22 and the HMR. I cant see the point in spending big money on a moderator for an HMR. Any slight reduction in noise over a SAK is far out weighed in the cost. SAK mod around £40 with a great warranty!

Job done :good:

ATB,

Pat

Guys, there ISN'T a good mod for a .17HMR, and I have tried a lot of them.

Some may be smaller than others, some may be lighter than others, some may be slightly quieter than others, and some may be cheaper than others, what is acceptable is what you want.

The DM80 is probably the quietest I have tried on a HMR (JUST, but you would struggle to notice! :hmm: ), but it is also one of the biggest and heaviest, and it certainly isn't the cheapest either.

The Whisper is an expensive joke, the Cub is useless but very small and light, Sirocco isn't clever and falls apart, and so it goes!

I haven't heard or used the http://thirdeyetactical.com/thirdeye_website_008.htm , it is meant to be ok, but I can still get a SAK round here for £35, and with the lifetime Jackson Rifles guarantee (see their site for details) I can't be ***** to **** around with anything else.

ATB!

SAK gets my vote as well. I have one on both the 22 and the HMR. I cant see the point in spending big money on a moderator for an HMR. Any slight reduction in noise over a SAK is far out weighed in the cost. SAK mod around £40 with a great warranty!

Job done :good:

ATB,

Pat

What they said!

I have a SAK on both the LR and HMR and found if I leave the bolt open for a minute or so after taking a shot, they stay much cleaner. Sound wise, the HMR round makes a lot of noise in flight, saving a bit of noise at the muzzle doesn't really help much but try an HMR without a mod at all and you'll see the SAK does make a lot of difference.