To semi or not to semi

tomhw100

pigeon decoying  

163 members have voted

1. 1. do you use a standard shotgun or semi auto for decoying pigeons

I have both, at the moment using the semi the most both have their uses. My semi is light inertia recoil (no gas ports to clean) whippy with out feeling of balance like I found with the beretta 682.

Draw backs of the semi are they spit the ejected cartridges everyware, gas recyclers need more cleaning. Also you need to be aware the safety aspect as they are not as easy to see they are empty as a o/u or s/s.

I have one semi and three O/U's, I used an O/U for the flush shoot in December but other than that I haven't shot any of them since getting the semi over a year ago.

Definitely prefer the semi for the hide, much easier and quicker to load in a confined space. The extra shot is also a plus on busy days, but for me I find the semi so much more pointable.

You haven't said what you will use it for?

lol i wouldn't use a semi for game! That is my only gripe the safety element to it-not being able to break it and that,it would be soley used for decoying and maybe the odd duckshooting outing. Rough shooting or walked up game i wouldnt even consider using a semi!

Edited by tomhw100

Voted standard o/u. I have o/u,auto and sxs only use auto on marsh as its cheap and cheerfull and if it gets full of mud it doesnt mater. But im looking to replace it with a o/u or sxs. I hate picking up empty shells in the dark and geting flashes and powder in my eye. Each to their own best thing is do to try a few out if posible.Good luck.

loading times are about the same for me i would say.

semis easiser to load in a hide.

i like semis but dont like using them with people around as the gun cant be clerly opened.

i know you can get auto safe plugs and ribbons, but if i go to a clay range i take a o/u.

if i had only one gun for everything it would be and o/u.

if i was only ever going to shoot pigeons it would be a semi.(al 391)

Does fast-loading an 'normal' shotgun (with ejectors) takes less time than a semi though? :hmm:

If I've shot out and a bird suddenly appears you can put a cart in the ejection port and press bolt release and get the gun onto to it very quick. because the gun is always pointed in the birds direction.

Also I can reload the mag tube with my eyes closed, so can thus look for incoming birds rather than looking at the gun.

just my experiences.

I use a Beretta 391 semi auto... With 2 in the mag and one up the spout, there's already an extra shot over an O/U or SBS. in addition, I can take one or two shots, and reload on the fly without taking my eyes off the sky, or missing a shot due to having the action open.

Cons would be that empty shells go all over the place, and if you're unlucky, might jam.

Why dont you buy a cheap second hand hatson escourt and see how you get on with it, if you like it stick with it and if you like but want something more refined then sell it and get something more up market ! And if you cant get on with it sell it on again having tryed and tested and you shouldnt lose much on it and if you buy right you make just break even on it or better ! :good:

I use a auto and think they are much better for hide work though i perhaps dont shoot as well with it as i did with my previous O/U ,they are easier to load when things get busy and have less felt recoil which is a + i find them very pointable and the third shot is a bonus ,as already mentioned the biggest drawback is the picking up of empties after shooting has finished .

From a safety point of view they are no more unsafe than any other gun if owned by a safe shooter !

Your right fen boy, and when people say but they cant be broke and thats where a breaking gun is better thats all fine when / if the breakable gun user breaks his gun. ive seen plenty of guns walk with there O/U SXS empty but closed and thats worse than a semi as at least with a semi the safe-t-plugs and flags can be seen a mile away ! :good: