To semi or not to semi

tomhw100

pigeon decoying  

163 members have voted

1. 1. do you use a standard shotgun or semi auto for decoying pigeons

I prefer the semi for pigeons - when you let off 2 shots, just bob 2 more in the mag straight away. If you do get to empty, just drop one in the slot and hit the button. I just keep it as full as I can so I've less chance of being caught out.

All that said, there's nothing quite like dropping a long distance bird with the tight choked SxS.

O/U on the pigeons? - nah, I'd never dream of getting out of the cabinet for pigeons. Even with an ejector there's no way I can load it quicker than the semi anyways....

Always used o/u until i tried a semi last year, fitted perfect shot perfect. got rid of my other guns as love it so much.Would only go back to o/u if I rejoined a sydicate purly for the safty issue,plus they seem to be fround upon,I think for that reason.It's all down to personal preference, i tought i would never use a semi until i got the oportunity to try one, the perfect tool for pigeons & roosts.

Edited by Davyo

I use a semi for all of my shotgun shooting but that is purely because that is all that I have available to me at the moment. I have to say that I sem to shoot better with the semi but that could be because the gun fits me better than others that I have had.

Guest cookoff013

the only thing about a semi, if not fed the best diet of shells it can be a pain.

apart from that they are brilliant. i do have a pump action for some of my reloads, they are so light they can cause problems.

depends on what you want to do with it ,

i use both i prefer my semi auto on the foreshore and my o/u for pheasants and general wandering about but use both on pigeons and crows from the hide

it comes down to preferance /type of shooting . get one try and try you might never look back

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Hatsan last year to use for informal shooting but sold it due to jamming and heavy trigger pull.I fancy another Auto but not sure what to go for!! Want to spend £800 tops.

Hi Matt,

I use a Remington 1187 Sportsman in Mossy Oak cammo for all my decoying, i've used Remmi's for 40 years now. I know everyone has their favorite gun and this is mine. Of course the biggest advantage that the auto has over everything else is the extra capacity, it puts more birds in the bag, simple.

Richard