Copper coated pellets

chrisjpainter

Been looking for a new type of pellet and came across H&N Baracuda Power Copper Coat .177.

has anyone used copper pellets? and if so is it worth having some? what advantages do you get with the copper coatings?

many thanks!

Chris

No, they're **** - not very good

Edited by PLH1966

Never seen them and never used them, but I struggle to understand what function they are intended to perform in a conventional 12ft lb rifle? :hmm:

The function is to sell more pellets.

OP, avoid gimmicks, buy a quality roundhead pellet and learn how to use it. Something like a JSB Exact, Air Arms Field, Defiant or Exterminator will be a good start.

Ditto to all of the above........

No point on an air rifle pellet. Copper coatings are used in larger caliber bullets and they leave a copper residue on the inside of the barrel which will build up and if not cleaned thoroughly with proper solvents/brushes etc can lead to premature corrosion of your barrel, as moisture can get underneath the copper coating.

Stick to lead and you wont go wrong.

:good:

They are somewhat a gimmick yes. I used a tin of their pointed ones years ago and it made no difference to performance in the field one bit.

They also did not damage the barrel and won't.

Copper is used and copper based gilding metal is used once a bullet is starting to aproach 2000fps.

Soft lead does not like going over 1200fps, lube is certainly needed. Next lead is mixed with other metals to make a harder alloy, next a copper gas check is added to the lead base.

Paper patching is another way to propel lead at high speed.

It is not so much the speed that becomes a problem for lead but the pressure behind it. With high speed comes high pressure, pressure gained through combustion. It is the heat from combustion cutting up the sides of the bullet that melts bullet material and coats the barrel ruining accuracy of the barrel hence the copper type jacket material of bullets. It takes more heat but will still leave some deposits.

An airgun barrel is like any other barrel and lead deposits will be left behind. Moisture can still get under it, this rule does not just apply to copper coated/jacketed bullets/pellets.

If copper coated pellets are your thing then good for you, it's not a problem :yes:

U.

I posted this a few weeks ago same applies, but i had forgot about about the copper pointed ones,RWS i think also there were some that had steel bearing in the head.

Over the 38 years (thats a long time ) i have been shooting air rifles i have seen umpteen new super do all space age tech gizmo's pellets that say they are better than anything thats been around,

sussex sabot

ox nato

promethious

titan black

and all shapes, pointed-flat-hollow pointed-wad cutters

and God knows many others that have been and gone. One old favorate "Eley wasp" Simple-Lead-Domed-pellet,the one that ALL other were compared to.

Just check out the International Field Target boys and see what they use. i can bet you nearly 100% use simaler to AA field,Accupell,Premiure

Stick to whatthe pro's use and you wont go far wrong

• 8 years later...

I tried some Air Boss Barracuda copper plated 21gr pellets in my high end PCP guns, and in the Uragan they are the most accurate of all the pellets I have tried.

In my Red Wolf HP they are also good, just a hair behind the H&N Barracuda Match 21grainers. Still have to try them in my FX Crown.

On 27/08/2020 at 23:00, Cutler said:

I tried some Air Boss Barracuda copper plated 21gr pellets in my high end PCP guns, and in the Uragan they are the most accurate of all the pellets I have tried.

In my Red Wolf HP they are also good, just a hair behind the H&N Barracuda Match 21grainers. Still have to try them in my FX Crown.

Air rifle pellets don't go fast enough to justify copper coating or requiring copper as main material.

Lead pellets leave residues / streaks in the barrels too and requires cleaning.

A friend of mine (member at our club) was an international air rifle shot and he used to be seen swabbing out his barrel with Hoppes on a regular basis, Copper could be worse 

Edited by Vince Green