Done for speeding - Motorway driving course

Thedeerman

I got done for speeding in november on the M6. The only time the motorway was clear enough to get any speed up and they had a man with a camera on a bridge in Cheshire. Swines!

I was doing 86mph in my transit van :devil:

I was offered a motorway driving course, 3 points and a fine or a court appearance. I decided it was best to take the course and avoid the points. I expected there to be course run locally at sensible times so I could attend around work.

Instead I have to drive to Winsford in Cheshire from Leicestershire on a weekday for a 3 1/2 hour telling off!

I wish I'd taken the points now!

Has anybody attended a Motorway driving course before?? Is it the same as a speed awareness course??

your lucky as you should only do 60 on a motorway .

thats interesting on one hand and entirely wrong on another, in a transit the motorway limit is 70 dual carriageways where its signed national speed limit its 60 however if signed 70 you can do 70. I only know one bit though on the A1 in scotland not that I've driven more than a few miles in said sized vehicles ;)

Insurance can't be cancelled after an accident because you haven't declared points/modifications etc. It's a well perpetuated myth.

Errr they can - and it depends what the policy documents say. They may be entitled to repudiate the policy but they would remain liable to pay out on any claim under the Road Traffic Act and thereafter they can sue you to make a recovery on their outlay.

i stand to be corrected , but i was under the impression that my 3.5 ton transit cant go 70 on duel or motorway . if i can then all the better , and it was a good friend of mine who aranges insurance who told me it was common practice to revoke or at least claim back any payouts for false staements , gaining points and not informing them is false statement .

Depends on the course, if it is a speed awareness course then completion of the course means no prosecution so no points if its 3 points + course or court then you have 3 points.

Missus was done for 86 on the M4 in my car and did the course no points ironically she got points 7 years ago the same place going in the opposite direction. Course was £85 i think for her i did one a couple of years ago for 36 in a 30 in Avon & somerset was £60 course for £60 fine and points! Did the course was told i did not need to declare it to insurance or for FAC/SGC.

i got zaped with a camara this week doing about 40 in 30 zone its one of those

just waiting moments when you no its comeing fru the post :/

i once was in ireland on a concract on got pulled over for doing 70 on a 60 road

i said i didint realeise with the signs being in kilomiters :lol:

he replied no! its to fast for a van to be traverling :no: i replied so its not to

fast for a car to be traverling :lol::lol: he wasint happey :P

So is it normal to have to travel to the county that the offence was committed in??

I'm sure guys at work did the speed wareness course locally? You would think it was a national thing??

Phone them and ask for it to be moved to a local appointment, one of the girls at work got a placement on a course in Peterborough rather than Leicester where the offence took place.

:good:

So is it normal to have to travel to the county that the offence was committed in??

I'm sure guys at work did the speed wareness course locally? You would think it was a national thing??

Most if not all the courses are run by ex coppers, the force basically subs the work to them.

The guy who thought of it is a multi millionaire surprisingly enough!

Phone them and ask for it to be moved to a local appointment, one of the girls at work got a placement on a course in Peterborough rather than Leicester where the offence took place.

:good:

I thought it had to be done where it occured but they may move it for you, so is it a speed awareness course or something else?

This is another example of police forces making it as they go along (no national continuity of offering the course or the format!)

My course was ex council employees... a retired teacher :lol: and a retired part time librarian Much better idea than ex coppers! They at least have a background in education

Edited by HDAV

will try n scan the aviva gumf , when you get them not when you renew now . double checked with the bint , its on most schedules .

some put into their policy conditions a clause which states that any material facts such as convictions must be disclosed immediately but I cant see them being able to charge extra during the policy year for it. Think some insurers only brought this in the last couple of years but when I had points during the policy year I rang and asked and they said will note it down but wont affect anything till renewal and then said I did not have to tell them :blink:

Edited by leeds chimp

i stand to be corrected , but i was under the impression that my 3.5 ton transit cant go 70 on duel or motorway . if i can then all the better , and it was a good friend of mine who aranges insurance who told me it was common practice to revoke or at least claim back any payouts for false staements , gaining points and not informing them is false statement .

they wont do 70mph anywhere :lol: