can i tow

cockercas

Unbraked and below 750KG, OR

total weight of car and trailer below 3500KG provided the Maximum Authorised Mass (plated weight) of the trailer does not exceed the Unladen Weight of the towing vehicle.

So you could tow a 1500KG trailer with a 2000KG car, 1750kg trailer and 1750KG car, 1000KG trailer and 2500KG car and so on.

:good:

also different speed limits apply when towing

Unbraked and below 750KG, OR

total weight of car and trailer below 3500KG provided the Maximum Authorised Mass (plated weight) of the trailer does not exceed the Unladen Weight of the towing vehicle.

So you could tow a 1500KG trailer with a 2000KG car, 1750kg trailer and 1750KG car, 1000KG trailer and 2500KG car and so on.

:good:

Isnt there a GTW of 4250kg/3500kg as well? (or does this not apply pre 1997 holders?)

so car unladen weight 1700kg +trailer MAM 1600KG = 3300Kg unladen car laden trailer but if max laden weight of car/light van 4x4 is 2700kg + MAM of trailer 1800Kg = GTW of 4500kg (over 4250kg MAM) I know its an issue or can be with some Van and trailer combos. most 2.7t vans are under 2 ton unladen but plated to tow 2 ton giving MAM of 4.7t plated so limits MAM of trialer

GTW is gross train weight now they use MAM of the combination

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

Edited by HDAV

Pretty sure the 4250KG figure is so that van/commercial vehicle drivers with a MAM of 3500KG can tow an unbraked trailer up to 750KG, giving the 4250KG total in that respect.

Thats where it gets confusing. I can drive a 3.5t van, but not one towing a 750kg trailer as the total MAM is 4250kg not 3500kg but the issue is 2.t van (single rear wheel transit/vivaro/trnasporter) UL 1700ish kg but can't tow 1000kg MAM trailer because the combination MAM is over 3500kg (or can i :hmm: ) But can tow a 100kg MAM trailer with a car of MAM 2500kg or a 750kg traielr with 2700kg MAM van....

Difficult when you need a VAN and trailer and trailer pushes 1000kg and the vans are all 2700kg.

Think i got it Class B (post 97 licence) Combined MAM 3500kg Unladen wiegth of towing vehicle > MAM of trailer

Anything else B+E

(so next time you see a twin rear wheel transit with a trailer of any size the driver must have B+E :good: Easy way to nick ****** for all the traffic cops that!)

Edited by HDAV

750KG unbraked. The 4250KG allowance is there so that drivers can drive a vehicle with a MAM of 3500KG and still tow a small trailer.

I think.

according to what i read that would be B+E not B for be total MAM has to be under 3500kg? or is it 3500 MAM if trailer over 750kg MAM???

I knew it confused the hell out of me last time i tried to understand if i could use a defender to tow with!

Edited by HDAV

Maximum MAM is 3500KG if towing a trailer above 750KG, and the maximum MAM is 4250kg if towing a trailer under 750KG. What it allows is a reasonable sized outfit to be towed (a medium family estate and a caravan for example, totaling 3500KG) or a heavier tow vehicle and a lighter trailer totaling 4250KG.

I think the idea behind it is that if someone is driving a vehicle with 3500KG, then having a little trailer on the back isn't going to make much of a difference to handling and braking as you are adding only 25% weight to what the vehicle would/could normally be. But for inexperienced drivers, they want to stop people jumping in to a 2000K car and towing a 2250kg trailer with it, making it a completely different vehicle to drive.

That's my opinion/ thoughts on it. Could be a load of junk though.

here you go mate what the dvla say:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

i am 22 with a standard license and regularly tow a 1300kg caravan with my mazda 6 and 1600kg car transporter with the freelander. To be honest with a normal car unless you borrow a plant trailer or something like that you will be alright.

here you go mate what the dvla say:

i am 22 with a standard license and regularly tow a 1300kg caravan with my mazda 6 and 1600kg car transporter with the freelander. To be honest with a normal car unless you borrow a plant trailer or something like that you will be alright.

Yeah i read that (several times infact)

I would say if the MAM of the freelander (max gross weight in handbook) is over 1901KG (most are 1960kg or 2050kg)

with a kerb weight of 1425kg (so less than MAM of your transporter trailer)

towing a 1600KG plated transport is illegal without B+E if MAM of frelander in handbook is 1800kg and kerb weight is 1600kg or more you're fine (its the combined MAM) not the load at the time.

Thats my take on it anyway (having checked all the spec of what i drive I am fine with everthing except a defender 110 (which is the best towing vehicle.... :rolleyes: Stupid law)

Edited by HDAV

i think i better check my handbook, i thought the freelander was about 1700kg unladen ooops. Time for a new weight plate.

depends on the age and model and the unladen weight doesn't matter! its the MAM thats important legally and kerbweight for safety:

http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/landrover.htm But check the handbook or there should be a plate in the car (drivers door sill?)

The MAM of the trailer must not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, it makes no difference if the trailer or vehicle is loaded or not, it's the maximum mass that counts.

The total MAM of both the vehicle AND trailer must not exceed 3500kg, unless the trailer has a MAM of 750kg, in which case it's OK to have a vehicle with a MAM of 3500.

It's simple once you've got your head round it, just ensure the MAM of the trailer is less than the unladen weight of the vehicle, and that the MAM of both does not exceed 3500kg.

It's all stupid as a 16 year old can get a tractor license and take 24.4 tons tractor/trailer combination on the road, much easier test to pass and very, very different driving!

Edited by bedwards1966

It's pretty important to make sure you are within the limits of your licence though, as being outside of them means no licence means no insurance means in the poop big time. :good:

hi, i was told any driver passing the car test after the 1st jan 1997 had to take a trailer test before towing. :yes:

hi, i was told any driver passing the car test after the 1st jan 1997 had to take a trailer test before towing. :yes:

You were told wrong. The rules are all there to see on the dsa website and have been covered in this thread and others.

I thought that any one passing their test after 1997 could only tow upto 750kg any heavier and you need your towing licence

No.