geese i shot

les gedge

Canada's may be on the General License but that does not mean they have to be treat as vermin.

100 geese in a day, disgraceful :no:

It must be the season of post goodwill. Deer shouldn't be shot because the shooter wanted to shoot it under a different banner to another live quarry shooters opinion, Geese shouldn't be shot if the shooter wanted to shoot it under a different banner to another live quarry shooters opinion, Hare shouldn't be shot because the shooter wanted to shoot it under a different banner to another live quarry hunters opinion. Is it 'cos it's too cold outside?

I just don't get shooters who think it's good sport to shoot what and how they shoot yet scorn other types or reasons for shooting. S'pose we ought to leave most of the Pigeons, Rabbits and Rats too then - to save them for those who only want an occasional sporting shoot.

Farmer bolliked him for leaving vermin to wreck his resource = deal with it as much as possible or risk losing the shooting privilege. No disrespect meant but shooters who can't deal with the concept of vermin shooting maybe ought to associate themselves with a different hobby. The Geese are not just there as game for pleasure pursuits to take or leave as you like. I really wish someone could explain some of the double standards on this forum that concerns shooting live quarry.

Edited by Dave-G

Was not Harewood it was LBA

it was l.b.a that paid for it,but it was the harewood estate that killed them.427 to be exact....then they were burnt...they were on the main lake in the grounds at harewood,rounded up into net's then 4 vet's and there assistant's injected them.the keeper's and beater's that were there helping out were necking then 3 time's faster than the vet's could inject them.....

Edited by eakimo joe

it was l.b.a that paid for it,but it was the harewood estate that killed them.427 to be exact....then they were burnt...they were on the main lake in the grounds at harewood,rounded up into net's then 4 vet's and there assistant's injected them.the keeper's and beater's that were there helping out were necking then 3 time's faster than the vet's could inject them.....

That was clearly a very very grim task, 100% pure pest control in its sheer ruthlessness. I don't think I, mixing a passtime with vermin shooting could have killed that many, given their stature if that is the right word. If however, any amount of pest control is wrong then the extent of my guilt is 119 rabbits left where they fell in one night at the instruction of the farmer. It was 93 three nights later.

It will be 15 for the butchers order tonight which makes it more justifiable to me.

It must be the season of post goodwill. Deer shouldn't be shot because the shooter wanted to shoot it under a different banner to another live quarry shooters opinion, Geese shouldn't be shot if the shooter wanted to shoot it under a different banner to another live quarry shooters opinion, Hare shouldn't be shot because the shooter wanted to shoot it under a different banner to another live quarry hunters opinion. Is it 'cos it's too cold outside?

I just don't get shooters who think it's good sport to shoot what and how they shoot yet scorn other types or reasons for shooting. S'pose we ought to leave most of the Pigeons, Rabbits and Rats too then - to save them for those who only want an occasional sporting shoot.

Farmer bolliked him for leaving vermin to wreck his resource = deal with it as much as possible or risk losing the shooting privilege. No disrespect meant but shooters who can't deal with the concept of vermin shooting maybe ought to associate themselves with a different hobby. The Geese are not just there as game for pleasure pursuits to take or leave as you like. I really wish someone could explain some of the double standards on this forum that concerns shooting live quarry.

firstly well done mate some good shooting!

To dave g

We've been through the deer thing and its our opinion...anyways i to wouldn't shoot 100 geese mostly for the fact i have no where to get rid of that many and my game dealer doesnt take them. I understand if the farmer is pulling his hair out they need to go just to keep your permission-im surprised 100 could of been shot though thats a hell of a lot on one field and for them to keep returning! I dont have double standards at all if vermin needs to be controlled i controll it and shoot as many as i can.

If the geese are damaging a field the best way to get rid of them, for a very long time, is to rifle one at long range from the middle of the flock. Geese hate it if they cannot see where the danger is coming from and will abandon the field. You will not get to let off a bag full of cartridges or kill a pile of geese, but this way is more effective at doing what the farmers wants, keeping the geese off his crops. If they try to come back on another day another bullet will do the trick. This applies to wild geese, pinks and greys. Don't know if it will work with resident geese.

If the geese are damaging a field the best way to get rid of them, for a very long time, is to rifle one at long range from the middle of the flock. Geese hate it if they cannot see where the danger is coming from and will abandon the field. You will not get to let off a bag full of cartridges or kill a pile of geese, but this way is more effective at doing what the farmers wants, keeping the geese off his crops. If they try to come back on another day another bullet will do the trick. This applies to wild geese, pinks and greys. Don't know if it will work with resident geese.

a couple of years ago we had about 100 greylags on the croft that were absolutely destroying the silage parks. i shot quite a few over a few mornings decoying but all it did was stopped them coming in in the morning, they would come in later on when i was at work. a couple of times i came home at lunch time and shot one with my 17hmr which lifted them but they were usualy back within the hour. one saturday i shot 3 with the rifle (before they got up) and nailed them upsidedown to posts i put in the middle of the park and they still came in and within a couple of days they were still there and eating within a few feet of their dipatched friends. the farmers here have tried all sorts of things, scarecrows, leaving old cars in the parks, gas guns, old cd's on strings, you name it, they have tried it. they all work for the first couple of days until the geese get used to it. there are no neeps grown here in the south end of shetland anymore because of the geese. the only thing that works is shooting them which sometimes results in big bags, which is fine imo as long as they are not wasted, but then again 99.999999999% of rabbits shot here in shetland is left to the birds, and thats a lot of rabbits, all good meat at the end of the day

Edited by aister

• 2 weeks later...