Sultry weather

Cranfield

I set up on a swathed rape field at about 7am this morning, having walked about 100 birds off it.

My confidence was high, nice westerly strongish breeze, a good looking layout of decoys and birds on the move.

3 birds came in nicely and only 1 flew away.

Things were looking very good.

Then at about 8am, the strongish breeze dropped completely.

I was shooting in a valley, which quickly became like an airless oven.

Nothing moved. :blink:

I stuck it out for 3 more hours and even went back at about 4pm, but it was a lost day.

Oh, for a strong wind, a light gale would be nice. :ernyha:

Cranfield,

Yes I have tried twice recently, in this sultry weather, to do some decoying without any success.

The birds were there on the laid barley but they would not decoy at all.

Are they like me and just get lazy in this hot weather ?

Roll on the cooler days of autumn with a bit of breeze. This hot weather gets through to me. :ernyha:

I had a real turn up for books yesterday as me and Mrs Crapshot set up for a days shooting over some laid wheat. As we turned up to the field about 40 birds flew away and as we know that’s nothing to get excited about, and when we sat down in the hide i noticed it was going to be a very hot and there was no wind at all. Thinking we were not going to get any shooting i reached for a drink and the first bird came in before i had loaded by gun. This set the pace for the day and they just kept coming so Mrs Crapshot shot at the birds that decoyed and i shot at the birds that jinked away. We didn't get a massive bag (thanks to Mrs Crapshot) but we had loads of shooting and could have been a red-letter day if i had gone by myself.

Another good day provided by Grange Farm.

Crapshot