Fox/Deer stalking

bunnybasher84

Evening everyone,

Having been a FAC holder for a couple of years now, though I love my .17HMR to bits I'd really like to up to something centre fire. The land I have has fox and rarely deer but "too flat" apparently to pass for centre fire. Does anyone know where I could possibly get permission in the South Yorkshire region or possibly surrounding county's? I would greatly appreciate anyone's advise or directions.

Thanks again

Joe.

i think devon fox was more saying if you needed a hand with foxes then one of us lot wood help you out but your add come over more land wanted to shoot deer and fox with c/f but my land no good for that my mates land is flat as a pancake and he s got 243 on it .

If you want a c/f then you need to get out and knock on doors but its not easy as im sure you no or you could just book deer stalking with some 1 like yds and get some experience but i carnt see any one on here giveing you c/f land

good luck with your hunt ...swiss

yeah your right its not easy took me nearly 2 years to get the land I've got, I have friends with permission up Scotland but I don't want a gun that I've got to drive 200mile to use. How do you get an open fac? Is it just down to your experience?

its more about land and how many farms you have and how much greff you give the team so they have to give you 1 to save them selves hassle i had mine after 8 months and nearly 4000 mixed 17 ..22 rounds they gave me a 22.250 on open ticket after 8 months which was nice of them.

so that seems the way to go but mostly they tell you to wait till 5 years i tryed with 7 farms and they said no then 3 months later and 4 more farms they said we are sick of seeing your name on my desk and opened it up on all calibers happy days all round hope that helps

ps if you only have 1 or 2 farms you dont need open ticket thats wat they will say

Edited by swiss.tony

i think devon fox was more saying if you needed a hand with foxes then one of us lot wood help you out but your add come over more land wanted to shoot deer and fox with c/f but my land no good for that my mates land is flat as a pancake and he s got 243 on it .

If you want a c/f then you need to get out and knock on doors but its not easy as im sure you no or you could just book deer stalking with some 1 like yds and get some experience but i carnt see any one on here giveing you c/f land

good luck with your hunt ...swiss

Exactly Swiss :good: - The point I was trying to make is that You have some ground in which to bargain with, ie have an open fac holder come and shoot on Your ground, in return You might find someone to A)help mentor you for cf B)help You with ground in which to help cf application :good: with Me now!

I still think if You built some high seats etc around the ground, created some elevation, and applied for a gun You obviously need to sort out the massive fox problem, it shouldnt be a problem :good:

Just ideas, and good luck :good:

Well really you shouldn't use the .17 (although I would if the opportunity arose) minimum is .222 like you say but no they won't pass it for that and the golf course is huge that I'm on. Behind at the side of a international airport doesn't help.

Ahh, I see your predicament. Maybe ask the FAO what the reasons for refusal are. Although there is a huge bullet difference between the .17 and the .222 there wouldn't be much difference in the range/trajectory. I hope you get sorted mate.

ATB,

Lee

yeah your right its not easy took me nearly 2 years to get the land I've got, I have friends with permission up Scotland but I don't want a gun that I've got to drive 200mile to use. How do you get an open fac? Is it just down to your experience?

It depends. Here in North Yorkshire I was granted an open cert for both .22lr and .243 on my first application last year. All I needed was some land passed for the .243 (30 acre woodland was enough), the reason for open certificates here is because otherwise the FEO's would do nothing but approve land. That came from the FEO himself. I was also lucky, my land got passed without even being visited, the FEO knew the land!

In West Yorkshire they'll give you an open certificate after 18 months with that calibre, I know this as my dad is in West Yorkshire.

Don't know the details of anywhere else, however I understand it's common to have it opened on renewal - waiting 5 years is a little harsh.

I think a call to your FEO might tell you how your force interprets the rules, if nobody else on here can advise you for your area