webley vulcan accuracy

PotHunter96

i dont know whether its me or the rifle but i have a spring powered .22 webley vulcan air rifle and i cant hit a thing with it? i have tried with the scope and at 10 yards most of the time i can put pellet on pellet however its a ******* to zero whether i have the scope on or not i can not hit a can let alone one inch groups at anything more than 10 yards i think i may have ruined the accuracy as about a year ago i accidentley fired it while the barrel was open it didnt close completely but smacked open again! its annoying me as i like the rifle however it does not hold accuracy well it annoys me and another question should i have a scope or not you decide for me :angry::angry::mad::mad::mad: thanks :thanks:

Woo there now, calm down calm down :good:

Vulcans are prone to wearing around the barrel pivot, can the barrel be moved from side to side with it closed?

If so the jaws will have to be clamped back together some.

The breech seal can wear bad on this design, check it out for cracks and splits.

I never known a piston seal to break as they are tough on these Webley's but I could be wrong! You could of broke the spring, does it cock smoothly or is there some ugly noises or a bad feel when doing so?

Many a Webley can end up with the barrel bent up from it being slammed shut, check that too.

Underdog.

If it puts pellet on pellet at short ranges then it should do pretty much the same further away+if the barrel is bent it will still group reasonably well.Best advice is to throw it away-they were never better than mediocre out of the box.Buy something from Germany and save yourself all that stress :good:

If it puts pellet on pellet at short ranges then it should do pretty much the same further away+if the barrel is bent it will still group reasonably well.Best advice is to throw it away-they were never better than mediocre out of the box.Buy something from Germany and save yourself all that stress :good:

That is sound advice!

U :good:

• 3 weeks later...

hold the rifle up to your chest twist the rifle left side whilst looking down the length of cylinder to the barrel along its length the the same on the right side the barrel should look pretty in line with the cylinder.open the barrel look through it.does it have what looks to be and distortion from the middle to the breech usualy upward bent slightly.it can be straightened by yourself as said.this alone wont effect accuracey once zeroed.i would try different lead rws brand suit webleys of old.hobbies field domes.if you have a brush or pullthrough clean it through the barrel that is.dont change lead type.if you run out of ajustment on the scope undo the scope rings add tin foil foldid over neatly to either the front underneath the scope or the rear underneath the scope to increase ajustment .a bent barrel once re zeroed wont be any problem.unless its too bent then you will see it like a banana.does your rifle smoke when a few shots fired.as said pivots do wear on them too.good luck.

hold the rifle up to your chest twist the rifle left side whilst looking down the length of cylinder to the barrel along its length the the same on the right side the barrel should look pretty in line with the cylinder.open the barrel look through it.does it have what looks to be and distortion from the middle to the breech usualy upward bent slightly.it can be straightened by yourself as said.this alone wont effect accuracey once zeroed.i would try different lead rws brand suit webleys of old.hobbies field domes.if you have a brush or pullthrough clean it through the barrel that is.dont change lead type.if you run out of ajustment on the scope undo the scope rings add tin foil foldid over neatly to either the front underneath the scope or the rear underneath the scope to increase ajustment .a bent barrel once re zeroed wont be any problem.unless its too bent then you will see it like a banana.does your rifle smoke when a few shots fired.as said pivots do wear on them too.good luck.

can i use a .22 cleaning rod t clean an air rifle???

if you mean the bronze type that screw on to a parker hale twisting rod i guess so thats what i use on a rifle that has accuracey problems insert through breech end push through pull back 3 or 4 times job done i never use them more than needid.it may take 50 pellets through before and iff accuracey returns.the rws hobbies are cheap and worth a go.very accurate too.that will illiminate lead fowling and pellet choice.atb

eley wasps were one of the best ever pellets until they sold them on now their deformed on the skirts and not a patch on the old.the 5.6 skirt wasps do straighten up on exiting but not really what they were once.you can spend 12.00 on a tin of .22 but for around 6.00 for a tin of 500 the rws brand pellets are very well made and consistant.their are better but not at that price i dont feel .

eley wasps were one of the best ever pellets until they sold them on now their deformed on the skirts and not a patch on the old.the 5.6 skirt wasps do straighten up on exiting but not really what they were once.you can spend 12.00 on a tin of .22 but for around 6.00 for a tin of 500 the rws brand pellets are very well made and consistant.their are better but not at that price i dont feel .

Yes I know what you mean, they are no longer a patch on what they use to be. In sayin' that though a freinds new BSA loves the new ones!

U.

• 2 weeks later...

I miss my old vulcan had gas ram in and I outshot a guy with a feynman with it, then sold the Vulcan to buy his fenman, he then bought BSA super ten, I then outshot him with his old fenman! I wasn't popular ;) back to the point vulcan was amazing and very accurate, absulutely lived blue tin wasps! Oh those were the days! Still live my fenman!

I used to shoot a grain silo near here owned by hovis for ferals with my old Vulcan. I used to get 1 shotgun cart off the game dealer for each bird of use that I took to him. When the silo shut and I moved house I had a little over 11,000 carts left after using them each week on clays and pigeons and supplying mates.

That's how accurate vulcans and a 3.9x40 scope is

• 9 years later...

Had the same experience with a .22 vulcan. A new spring and seals brought it up to full power which got it to actually reach a target beyond 10 metres but very wide spread. I cleaned the barrel and got some h&n ftt 5.53 cal pellets, because the bore is the original pre metric .22, which is 5.58 mm. These tightened up the grouping to a 5 cm spread at 15 metres, which is significant progress.

• 2 weeks later...