Finally chose my dog, food recommendations please

stuart21

Hi,

I've finally found a dog, he's from a guy who runs our shoot and is a 7 month old lab. I've seen both his parents and his older brother and they work really well.

Now, my question is, he is currently fed on omega, is this a good food?

Also, I have a pet dog who is fed on burns, is there a good food that you would recommend for both dogs, both are labs, but one is a pet?

Thanks

Stuart

I feed my lab the BARF diet now after going through many many different dried foods ranging from £50 to £10 a bag and he didn't get on with any (issues with excema) he absolutley loves it and it costs around £7 a week it's all frozen and easy to do he has rice, pasta and pureed veg with the odd egg (raw) chucked in.

He also has a raw meaty bone (lamb,beef or chicken) every other day and his coat has never looked better. He poo's half as much. His eyes are brighter and all round mellow dog. They sell most of the raw meats at pets at home if you can't get it from a butcher.

Can't recommend it enough :yes::good:

Got two working springers they get fed on wagg for working dogs mostly about £10 for 17.5 kilo tesco. Used to feed them omega £12.99 from feed merchants but changed as one them had bad breath still the same now but not as bad. Also tried pal seemed ok looks abit plain. And for a treat they get bakers once a month. All the food i feed them they ate and have preformed and recovered well off. Also both dogs are muscular, carry no fat and have solid motion's. Feed in the morning and at night. This is what i have found but could vary if not worked kept in house or fed too much. They are around 6 years old now and still going strong no vets or illness.

chudleys classic all my dogs are on this its about £13 a bag

Have to agree my cocker looks really well on this, I have also tried the "working" version but it's fatty in comparison with the classic and she can put weight on quickly on it.

I feed my Springer & Cocker on Wagg, I but it in Jollys' or Tesco, I've had many people comment on the condition of my dogs sayin I must spend a fortune on top quality dog food, I do do buy good food but its only about £12 for 17.5kg, comparin it the ingredients to the like of Beta it's very similar.

I buy 5kg mince chicken from the butchers for £3, feeds 3 dogs twice a day with a hand full of gilpa biscuits each time.

they also have a lambs neck bone or beef rib to chew on.

costs me around £4 every 7-8 days to keep. :good:

Edited by daitai

What is the dog on already?

it has been advised not to change the dogs food too often, but if it too expensive or the dog isn't looking good on it then gradually add some of the new stuff for a week or so gradually getting larger mixes of the new stuff until it is just the new stuff.

My lab is on Beta after trying Bakers - made her runny. She came to us after being on Hills - but is v.expensive. Beta has given her the same condition as on the Hills but it is only £20 a bag.

We do also give her raw mince every couple of weeks or so as a treat.

Labs do have a reputation of being greedy and will eat anything - but I didnt find that

Good luck with the lab, but I would stay with what they are on for now to let the dog settle in your house. Then mix it onto a new one or the same as your pet - i dont see why you cant feed them both - if you exercise/work you working dog harder and for longer then either add more food in their bowl or add some mince or tripe to their bowl to increase the protein count.

I dont know if you have had a dog before but i keep an eye on my lab with the weight she is carrying around the hips and just enough coverage over the ribs to just feel them. I find this an easy guide to whether I am feeding her too much/ too little/ to give some mince as treat.

Once again good luck and hope you enjoy your new dog.

sorry just re-read the top of the topic and its Omega that the dog is already on - sorry had no experience of this food

Got two working springers they get fed on wagg for working dogs mostly about £10 for 17.5 kilo tesco. Used to feed them omega £12.99 from feed merchants but changed as one them had bad breath still the same now but not as bad. Also tried pal seemed ok looks abit plain. And for a treat they get bakers once a month. All the food i feed them they ate and have preformed and recovered well off. Also both dogs are muscular, carry no fat and have solid motion's. Feed in the morning and at night. This is what i have found but could vary if not worked kept in house or fed too much. They are around 6 years old now and still going strong no vets or illness.

+1 for Wagg - once the dog is past the puppy food stage. The dogs are healthy and full of energy, they have a good covering and beautiful shiny coats. If you are near a Costco they sell it for £7/bag.

During the puppy phase my dogs are raised on Skinners.

ATB

Neil

M

Both mine are on Skinners

Duck and rice about £20 a bag

the little one is on Crunchy £17 a bag but will be going on duck when finished this bag

I somethimes get the musli mix aswell

Both do well on it

Skinners are very helpfull if you give them a call and ask to speak to someone with regards feeding they will send you out some samples (and local stockist list if you ask them)

I have spoken to them on two different occasions both times the samples are posted through the door the next day free of charge

you struggle to get that service paying for it

Ask 100 people what dog food they recommend and you will get 100 different answers.If the first ingredient on the bag is a cereal or cereals then it is NO GOOD. If the dog food is £8 for 15kg,just for example, then the retailer will make £3 for selling it, the manufacturer will make £3 for making it.Add in transport costs and storeage cost and it dont leave a great deal for the actual cost of the ingredients does it?.

Edited by cocker boy

Both my dogs are on Burns. My collie is 11 months old and very active and has plenty of energy but he is not hyperactive, his coat looks very good, he also has quite a sensitive stomach but this stuff is great and have had no problems.

My 13 week old springer is on the burns small bites, and she is doing very well. She will be going onto the same stuff as my collie when she gets to 6 months.

For both the only thing i have done is increased their amounts from that recommended on the pack as i think they are a little bit low, the collie is 19kg but having enough for a 25kg dog and his weight is stable. This is still only 200grams a day so a £40 bag lasts for 2.5 months, the puppy is on 150 grams a day so that last 3 and a bit months.

Thanks for all of the replies.

The reason why I ask is not a cost issue, more of a quality issue. Dogs are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain, but a lot of the food out there seems incredibly cheap and I wonder if this is a sign of poor quality.

I pay just over £40, for a bag of burns for my pet dog and my new pup is eating food that is £15, I just want to make sure that the dry food I will use is a good quality product.

Thanks