The Longest Retrieve-Chesapeake Bay Retriever

lee-kinsman

Very impressive - true team work in action you must be very proud of that dog

This isn't my dog. I saw the video on youtube when I was researching the chesapeake bay retriever. When I saw this video I kept replaying it, I was amazed at this dogs ability to work so thoroughly. You can see how dedicated to the handler he is. I'm looking for a dog very soon and really fancy a chesapeake. Every video I've seen so far of chesapeakes working really sets them apart from every other retriever. I'm persuaded to get one. Love it.

This isn't my dog. I saw the video on youtube when I was researching the chesapeake bay retriever. When I saw this video I kept replaying it, I was amazed at this dogs ability to work so thoroughly. You can see how dedicated to the handler he is. I'm looking for a dog very soon and really fancy a chesapeake. Every video I've seen so far of chesapeakes working really sets them apart from every other retriever. I'm persuaded to get one. Love it.

They are great 'fowling dogs - and not too shoddy around the shoot either - I would not be without one now.

Mike

Lee,Good luck with your search for a Chessie. Do you mind if I ask if this will be the first dog you`ve trained for the gun?

No, I was raised within the shooting/hunting culture and have worked with labs, english pointers and weimaraner's, I've heard consistantly that they are head strong. The thing that does make me think about this breed is how prone they are to illness/health problems. What have you experienced about this dog with regards to health issues.

If you`re a reasonably competent trainer then you won`t have any problems but you need to remember that a Chesapeake is not a curly coated chocolate lab. It has a completely different coutlook on life whereupon it regards all strangers with deep, and sometimes hostile,suspicion and will be stand offish with other dogs.Most Chessies are not fighters but any tendency towards domination of other dogs should be strongly discouraged.

In my experience, I would not describe them as headstrong and have found them affectionate and easy to train but you do need to have a training regime that constantly reminds the animal where it is in the pecking order - at the bottom! A Chesapeake that is allowed to think it is somewhere near the top could be problematic. I most certainly don`t advocate being heavy handed with discipline. Chastise a Chessie physically beyond a certain point and it will turn on you.

The health issue is a difficult one. The breed does suffer from most of the usual large gundog problems and some lines do seem more susceptable to illness than others. Having said that, I`ve been lucky and all mine have lived to a ripe old age with almost no illness, although with considerable, and explainable, work induced injury.

There is a breed club, The Cheaspeake Bay Retriever Club of G.B. who are well worth contacting. You might also consider speaking to Mark Greenough,owner of the dog in the film, who is BASC`s Wildfowling Officer and a keen Chessie owner.

If you`re a reasonably competent trainer then you won`t have any problems but you need to remember that a Chesapeake is not a curly coated chocolate lab. It has a completely different coutlook on life whereupon it regards all strangers with deep, and sometimes hostile,suspicion and will be stand offish with other dogs.Most Chessies are not fighters but any tendency towards domination of other dogs should be strongly discouraged.

In my experience, I would not describe them as headstrong and have found them affectionate and easy to train but you do need to have a training regime that constantly reminds the animal where it is in the pecking order - at the bottom! A Chesapeake that is allowed to think it is somewhere near the top could be problematic. I most certainly don`t advocate being heavy handed with discipline. Chastise a Chessie physically beyond a certain point and it will turn on you.

The health issue is a difficult one. The breed does suffer from most of the usual large gundog problems and some lines do seem more susceptable to illness than others. Having said that, I`ve been lucky and all mine have lived to a ripe old age with almost no illness, although with considerable, and explainable, work induced injury.

There is a breed club, The Cheaspeake Bay Retriever Club of G.B. who are well worth contacting. You might also consider speaking to Mark Greenough,owner of the dog in the film, who is BASC`s Wildfowling Officer and a keen Chessie owner.

Thanks Mudpatten, I appreciate your input.

All the best,

Lee

that was just bril i have a very big old lab now 12 years old gone deff going blind have not got the heart to have him put to sleep.when he was 7 years old he swam a good 300yards for a canada goose that had been clipped by a shooter . the resorvoir was very choppy there dogs was not going far enough.so asked me he was back with it in a breath.bless him.there is 6 of us with dogs bred bye him all doing very well.