.177 or .22

NewbieShot

Do not use hollow point or wadcutters, for general hunting (not ratting) the domed is the best pellet. Flatheads (wadcutters) or hollow points are good at close range, such as rat encounters (which are usually sub 15 metres), but at the typical airgun hunting range are as accurate and a pee aimed into a gale! Stick to a domed pellet for hunting, that way you will have accuracy!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like one liners as a rule but one that does ring true is: .177 for feather .22 for fur :yes: . I'm experience enough with air guns (40 years :) ) and big headed enough :lol: to say I shoot .22 accurately enough off hand or rested to hit the right spot most of the time. A slightly displaced pellet had better be bigger, and we all misplace our shots. Anyone who says they've never shot a rabbit in the head and still lost it wounded is either brilliant at erasing bad memories or just hasn't shot enough. More power is better, period. This is why I now do not use sub 12 for hunting, the kills with 30 ft lbs are clearly more lethal as well as easier to achieve at slightly greater range.

The bigger pellet retains more energy fact, the smaller drops less also fact. In sub 12 ft lbs you really have no business shooting at a rabbit unless you can hit the right part of the head with .22 OR .177. By all means pick .177 and use it for hunting but not because you think it's more accurate than .22, it isn't, YOU are less able to cope with the drop of the .22.

Years ago I came to the conclusion that .22 is better for rabbits in either sub or FAC power levels, it's greater energy retention means it leads to less wounding, if you need to shoot accurately out to 60 yards plus then go FAC or rimfire.

I don't like one liners as a rule but one that does ring true is: .177 for feather .22 for fur :yes: . I'm experience enough with air guns (40 years :) ) and big headed enough :lol: to say I shoot .22 accurately enough off hand or rested to hit the right spot most of the time. A slightly displaced pellet had better be bigger, and we all misplace our shots. Anyone who says they've never shot a rabbit in the head and still lost it wounded is either brilliant at erasing bad memories or just hasn't shot enough. More power is better, period. This is why I now do not use sub 12 for hunting, the kills with 30 ft lbs are clearly more lethal as well as easier to achieve at slightly greater range.

The bigger pellet retains more energy fact, the smaller drops less also fact. In sub 12 ft lbs you really have no business shooting at a rabbit unless you can hit the right part of the head with .22 OR .177. By all means pick .177 and use it for hunting but not because you think it's more accurate than .22, it isn't, YOU are less able to cope with the drop of the .22.

Years ago I came to the conclusion that .22 is better for rabbits in either sub or FAC power levels, it's greater energy retention means it leads to less wounding, if you need to shoot accurately out to 60 yards plus then go FAC or rimfire.

Just when we thought it was all over............

....that should kick off a few previous hormonal posters! :yes::lol::lol::lol:

In my experience it matters very little what size pellet you fire into a rabbits head within the perceived 'normal' ranges. If it's on target it will kill the rabbit. It doesn't matter if the pellet stops in the head or passes straight through, I've yet to see a rabbit brain shot be it through and through or not, that has been able to run away!

The important thing is that you are accurate at the range that you are shooting out to, with whatever calibre and gun you use. By accurate I mean 1" groups. Personally I find it much easier with a .177 to be accurate from 8 yards out to 50 yards. Less faffing about with drop, but you still need to learn how much you need to aim off by over that spectrum. Master that and compensating for the wind and you'l be deadly. As a point of interest I have killed cleanly at a measured 62 yards with a .177 so there is plenty of energy available at even that range (even if my range estimation wasn't up to scratch that day!).

In my opinion you probably shouldn't be shooting live until you are very consistent on your groupings on paper because it's rarely as easy a shot in the field as it is at the range.

Wollox! Complete Wollox. I have taken far more rabbits with my .177 BSA Super 10 and had more feathered fiends with by HW 100 .22! The prey is not complaining, Yes I have lost rabbits I have shot with the .177, the most memorable being the one that sat by the side of the ditch, I shot it it rolled over and sank in green primordial slime, I was not going in to get it out!

Wollox! Complete Wollox. I have taken far more rabbits with my .177 BSA Super 10 and had more feathered fiends with by HW 100 .22! The prey is not complaining, Yes I have lost rabbits I have shot with the .177, the most memorable being the one that sat by the side of the ditch, I shot it it rolled over and sank in green primordial slime, I was not going in to get it out!

I never said .177 won't kill rabbits, I've had my fair share with the calibre too, merely that experienced wisdom suggests the smaller calibre gets through plumage better than .22's (at sub 12 ft lbs anyway), but that the .22 retains more energy. Neither suggestion is open to debate, you can test for kinetic energy easily enough and you'll find the .22 wins every time. This is one reason even the devotees of the girly calibre prefer heavier pellets ;) . The .177 is easier to hit with(some are able to master the .22's arc more ably), it is NOT the better killer, big difference :yes:;) .

This is one reason even the devotees of the girly calibre prefer heavier pellets ;) . The .177 is easier to hit with(some are able to master the .22's arc more ably), it is NOT the better killer, big difference :yes:;) .

I use .177 and I don't use heavy pellets, what's the point? You get a loopy .22 trajectory with bis mags and they don't deform as well as lighter pellets so zip through bunnies too easily.

Big difference? No, small difference.

If you don't hit it you won't kill it.

Kind of my point to be fair. Sub 12 ft lbs guns should only really be used for short range work as the power is pretty marginal, and at short range you really ought to be able to hit accurately with a .22 anyway :yes: .

This is one reason even the devotees of the girly calibre prefer heavier pellets ;) . The .177 is easier to hit with(some are able to master the .22's arc more ably), it is NOT the better killer, big difference :yes:;) .

I stick with my 'put it in the right place and it makes no difference' comment, if it's dead with a .177 then a .22 won't make it any more dead. As for the heavier pellets, personally, I shoot whatever's most accurate through the gun. My Ultra likes Bisley Magnums, my Air Arms S400 liked Air Arms fields which are a significantly lighter pellet...they still kill rabbits though.

I'll stick with .22's, even at sub 12 ;) , no apologies for dragging this popular/unpopular subject along as I believe wounding is too important a subject. Not saying that you or anyone else who advocates .177 for rabbits wound any more than others just my experiences.

I've often heard the quip of hit it in the right spot and it's dead, but in my opinion this isn't actually the case in real life, greater power helps to dispatch quarry even when you're off the exact spot. How else can you explain the obvious difference between rimmi or even 30 ft lbs kills compared to sub 12? I just use .22 within it's and MY comfort zone, if I need to kill over 30 yards, I get the bigger boys out.

I can't believe this is still going on!

EITHER will do the job! Just get to know your gun and how it works

Simples, now put this thread to rest :lol:

Agreed, totally.

there are far too many variables with pellets that do and don't like rifles, weights, power, pellet shape.

The list just goes on.

Make sure you get a repeatable pattern with your chosen pellet, rifle and range then practise like hell.

ATB

HB