Target shooting advice needed

Bloke

Hi all, vague question time here. I have joined a local shooting club and having (just) completed the minimum 3 months probation, I am applying for FAC to make a nice pair with my SGC. I like the gallery shooting disciplines and I have applied for firearms to match, but the rules specify .22 semi-auto rifle. anyone out there have any thoughts on which make/model of semi-auto .22LR has the best record for accuracy/reliability etc to use for both the Gallery shoots as well as local accuracy disciplines and postal competitions. Obviously if this is approved I wont need a moderator, so I will be looking for a model that doesn't come with one as standard, but otherwise, I am open to any suggestions. Within sensible limits, money is not really a problem for the right gun.

Edited by Bloke

It's a general shooting club, a fairly large variety of rifles and long-barrelled pistols, black powder, etc, etc there! Shooting various disciplines. From what I read on the Bisley handbook for gallery method competition, the small bore rifle is stated as semi auto. As for the moderator, when I discussed this with my FEO, he asked why I would need a moderator at a shooting club? He felt that as everyone at approved clubs are supposed to wear hearing protection, a moderator seemed unnecessary, just taking up room in a slot. Sorry if I got this wrong, but that's what he said, followed by "of course you can apply for whatever you want, but doesn't seem to be needed"

Oh, I think he would allow it, but didn't see why it was necessary and seemed to indicate it was a waste of a slot. This is my first FAC application, so as you can see, It is difficult for me to judge what is OK and not. he also mentioned his boss isn't too happy with people putting in what he called "Wish lists". I pointed out that as I currently do not hold an FAC, then EVERYTHING on my application MUST therefore be a wish list - that was unavoidable! Obviously I don't want to hold things up any more than necessary and I am aware that two of the guns I am applying for are ones that people often get funny about, i.e. Long-barrelled pistols and revolvers, so I don't want to antagonise him any more than I have to.

I'm a gallery rifle shooter I have been to bisley numerous times. The preferred and most popular is ruger 10l22 also volquartsen. There are loads of after market items. Like extended mag release, auto release bolt handles, different barrels.

Just out of interest what disciplines are you intending to shoot.

I am not 100% sure but I think that you are getting mixed up with Gallery Rifle and Light Sporting.

Light Sporting is precision Shooting at paper targets (20 yards usually) and Gallery Rifle is more at knock down targets.

For Gallery a semi auto is much easier espescially if you are doing the fun events like the 1500 which are timed and you can fire as many rounds as you like to hit the target. A ruger 10/22 is best for this as there are so many extras available, such as high capacity magazines and other mods (be careful once you start to mod a 10/22 it never stops).

For Light sporting you don't need a semi auto for that as you can take your time. At my club people use bolt actions as well as semi autos for Light Sporting.

I use a modified 10/22 for Gallery and a Marlin 795 (semi auto) for Light Sporting. Out of the box the 795 was more accurate with better groups but can't really be tinkered with due to lack of aftermarket modifications.

Of course if you are going to shoot Gallery and Light Sporting you can apply for two rifles....

Edited by Bradders

I'm a gallery rifle shooter I have been to bisley numerous times. The preferred and most popular is ruger 10l22 also volquartsen. There are loads of after market items. Like extended mag release, auto release bolt handles, different barrels.

Just out of interest what disciplines are you intending to shoot.

Thanks for the advice, very interesting. just out of interest, I notice that a few of the Rugers in our club are quite heavily modified and one in particular regularly jams. A friend of mine had one (- bog standard)and he says he eventually changed it as it was particularly vulnerable to the slightest bit of contamination blocking the take up of fresh shells from the mag, but admits this was a long time ago, is this still an issue?

I am eventually looking at all four of the main disciplines from the GRP handbook, GRCF GRSB .22 LBP and .38/.357 LBR . Obviously not all at once, but it is a five year FAC and I don't want to be messing about with constantly having to send my licence away to get the extras added, so I have requested all four guns on my application. I am looking at the carbine, the .22 rifle and possibly the .22 LBP initially, though. I go to the USA to see friends and, (As you do! ;) ) regularly shoot on their home range and have shot gallery class practice for fun in their local range, with .38/.357 revolver and carbine, .22 rifle and both a .22 and 9mm pistol, although I don't know if the last was an official gallery gun, it was just fun practice sessions, but I was invited to go back fairly regularly and join in. I really enjoyed the experience and as someone with limited mobility and no particular desire for game shooting, it seems an excellent hobby to go alongside clay shooting. My local shooting club has a few members who shoot the same guns and there is a possiblity of little local informal competition sessions if there are enough people.

As far as the .22 is concerned, as well as the gallery shooting, they have local postal shooting competitions and I have been encouraged to join these when the FAC is done, although I am not sure I am good eneough yet!

Any info/resources/recommendation for further reading would really be good.

Edited by Bloke

I am not 100% sure but I think that you are getting mixed up with Gallery Rifle and Light Sporting.

Light Sporting is precision Shooting at paper targets (20 yards usually) and Gallery Rifle is more at knock down targets.

For Gallery a semi auto is much easier espescially if you are doing the fun events like the 1500 which are timed and you can fire as many rounds as you like to hit the target. A ruger 10/22 is best for this as there are so many extras available, such as high capacity magazines and other mods (be careful once you start to mod a 10/22 it never stops).

For Light sporting you don't need a semi auto for that as you can take your time. At my club people use bolt actions as well as semi autos for Light Sporting.

I use a modified 10/22 for Gallery and a Marlin 795 (semi auto) for Light Sporting. Out of the box the 795 was more accurate with better groups but can't really be tinkered with due to lack of aftermarket modifications.

Of course if you are going to shoot Gallery and Light Sporting you can apply for two rifles....

I certainly bow down to your experience, you are right, the Gallery Rifle/pistol I am interested in IS what you describe, but the local postal competition does sound like Light sporting, which is why I asked which may be best for both, thanks for the info - now it looks like I might have to see if I can change one of the applications already, before it is even granted! :lol::lol:

The people you mentioned about jamming might not have the right ammo. Or needs extractor sorted. I use the same setup for gallery rifle as I do sporting.

A volquartzen carbon fibre barrell, hogue stock, 10/22 receiver, extended mag release, componsator, leupold 4x12, mini mag ammo, recoil buffer, titanium bolt handle.

I also do 1500, bianchi, speed steels.