"SPORTING ! " what do you think ?

I think the term is sporting shot. Whilst I see some of honesty in your point Scully I can see a sporting shot has a marked difference over a killing shot...a high pheasant taken with a following wind is a sporting shot..a pheasant walking across a field and taken at 20 yards isn't sporting. Now if someone patted themselves on the back for the later then there is something wrong..both peasants are still dead however, but there is a fundamental difference

Edited by PWD

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sport is the challenge, shooting "sitting ducks" is not sport, it may be population control, maybe a number of of other legitimate reasons, but it is not IMO sport.

The Sport is pitting your ability as a human with all the aids of technology and evolution against that of a "wild" animal. Shooting ducks on the water is akin to playing football against a team who are still in bed when you kick off and you score a goal into an empty net (ball went into the net, the supposed point of the game) but it isn't a sport.

In some other cultures the birds shot on shoots are literally thrown from cages at the guns...This is not sporting IMO

Again,I can see your point,but the technology of shooting creatures was improved and evolved to place the advantage squarely in the hands of the human hunter.Hitting a flying or moving creature is extremely hard with a sling shot or bow and arrow,and indeed a firearm firing a solid projectile,and thus 'shot' was developed to overcome this problem.'Shot' as a projectile has no other purpose;it was devised specifically to make the shooting of flying or moving prey more achievable.Not only that,the addition of a second barrel,and the semi-auto,gave the user an even bigger advantage over his prey.

'Sporting' shooting evolved as a result of modern man not needing to hunt for his food anymore,so he now shoots for 'sport',or to put it another way,pleasure.

By all means allow those birds etc which don't 'challenge' you pass by,but don't try and justify what you do as a 'sport' or 'sporting';if you want to give your prey a 'sporting' chance,get yourself a sling shot,or at the very least use a single barrelled shotgun.

If the OP is upset about what happened on the water during the shoot as he described it,then he has the choice not to go again.But to come on here whinging when he participates in the shooting of defenceless creatures is a bit rich in my opinion.If what occurred was cruel,or the carcases were left to rot where they lay,then I could understand his outrage,otherwise what is his point?

Edited by Scully

I have to have a chip in with my opinion again. I dont think for one minute shooting the said ducks around a pond can ever be compared to punt gunning. The wildfowlers on here will surely know how the weather can affect the tides and the water. I have been out on the Wash trip on a smaller fishing boat to get cockles & shrimps from the sand banks when the weather has changed drastically and was bloody pleased to get back to Fosdyke Bridge. God knows what would have happened to a punt gunner. Ok they shoot a few but the risks they take just paddling out there are immense. the risks the syndicate took was shooting each other or someone on the footpath. The consequences don't bare thinking about. I do however wonder why the op is highlighting this event, maybe because it happens to be his EX syndicate? Maybe if the pond was not near the public gaze then this could have been a justifiable happening.

Don't gamekeepers at the end of the season mop up the birds that are left,shooting them at roost and such like or on the floor not sporting but doing a job. Without being there or a reliable witness account it's just ranting. Sporting can only be judged by the people pulling the trigger it's all down to ability,a sporting shot to most guns would be murder to the likes of Digweed and a sixty yard screamer beyond most mortals.Were they clearing the pond of ducks or just offering the coupe de grace to a pricked bird.

ATB figgy

That's ******* outrageous absolute scum can't believe anyone would do it they deserve to have there licenses taken away,absolute ####s I'm actually go smacked this has happened...surely something should have been said...and as for punt gunning which is an art in its own right and part of our heritage-why has it even been mentioned its nothing like it!

As already stated several times in this thread, they will have been culling all the none flying reared ducks. Generally done by a keeper but if this is a small DIY type shoot no doubt they decided to do it during a shoot day. No one would describe it as sporting but the none fliers are not the birds you want surviving and breeding.

Shoot a duck on the water whether it's "bobbing about a bit" or "skating on ice" and you don't deserve to own a gun. The only time you could ever justify it is if a bird had dropped in after being hit and had not been killed cleanly. If you can confirm it was the former, don't go back!

What if its diving or doing cartwheels then??

I think some of you are missing the middle part of this thread, failing any comment to the contrary it seems this event is based on a ladies view of some/part of the event from a footpath, we know not how much, who relayed her displeasure to her husband who phoned the OP, who appears to have historical issues with this shoot.

Make your own mind up, a whole syndicate playing silly ******* or a female passing by!

:hmm::hmm:

Awful - just awful. :o

Another moping thread about a live quarry shooter not liking the way or reason live quarry has been shot.

The chances are that the ducks were killed more humanely than if they fell victim to a sporting shot attempt.

http://www.myradionetwork.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/man_crying.jpg

Edited by Dave-G

Don't gamekeepers at the end of the season mop up the birds that are left,shooting them at roost and such like or on the floor not sporting but doing a job.

You are quite right Figgy, I know keepers who do this on feed rides, mainly picking of surplus, old or injured cock birds.

Blackpowder