Calling all coons

coyotemaster

coons are a pest over there. when i go home on the farm in michigan to see my mum, we have 12 farms out there we go out for a big coon shoot, they come on the main farm and eat the kittens.they hit the maize corn over, and eat the cobbs.so we shoot the hell out of them.

Edited by mossy835

Well done, what range do you call these into on average?

Thanks, The range varies last night it was about 50 yds up in trees (2 coon) sometimes it is a matter of feet. They come in fast and furious(as in mean) I try to nail them down on the way in if I can at about 20 yds, they are almost always running when I shoot them.

Top notch ! What is the average weight of a Coon ? They look in great condition..

Thanks, the average weight is probably around 12-15 lbs with a big boar coon weighing upwards of 20 lbs. The biggest coon this year so far has been a 26 lb. boar coon. Thankfully we were near the truck and didn't have to carry him far.

Great write up and pic Tim.Love looking at other types off shooting photos and stories.Pity some of the other PW members from abroad would put more posts in. :hmm: What scope you got on the rifle,hope you didn't use washable paint on you gun. :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope all your family ok mate.Terry :good:

I can see you look OK :lol:

I couldn't find any white wash Terry so I used Wally world spray paint. Yeah that makes sense true up the action put on a match grade Shilen tube, Hogue stock-bedded, the spray paint the whole works???? The scope is a Weaver V16 4-16 power with an AO. Painted obviously!!

Hi Tim,If I had the opportunity ,I would certainly like to go on a coon shoot :good:

How do you flush the coons out,do you use dogs

Consider this an open invitation to all, Will gladly take you on a wild coon hunt if you find yourself this direction. I am using the Foxpro with the coon fight and they eat it up.

There will be no kissing and hugging on my guided hunts---- unless they are of the opposite sex of course!!!

Well done and a good write up. Do you shoot them close to towns or are they all over? You did realise that you will be "THE COON EXPERT" on Pigeon Watch.

I don't think I am nearly as deadly on coons as you are on the wood pigeons!!! But I will try to bear up and be what you need me to be.

I am finding the best spots are old barns full of hay, they love it!! Also abandon houses and of course the trusty woods. It is cool to see them stick their head out of a den and then come barreling down the tree. They are pretty much everywhere here.

You have not missed anything this year. The snowfall amounts have all been an inch or less. It takes a significant snow and then some really cold weather to stress the coyotes enough to make them hungry and call responsive.

If you get this way get a hold of me and we will hunt something. Crows Starlings Coyotes Pigeons are all on the menu---not that we will eat them mind you.

You have not missed anything this year. The snowfall amounts have all been an inch or less. It takes a significant snow and then some really cold weather to stress the coyotes enough to make them hungry and call responsive.

If you get this way get a hold of me and we will hunt something. Crows Starlings Coyotes Pigeons are all on the menu---not that we will eat them mind you.

Will do mate :good: , my pals with the hounds have been having some tremendous running of the yotes, most notable was the dogs and hunters covering 26 miles

Well done :good: wouldn't mind me a real coon skin Davey Crocket hat :lol:

Sorry to dissapoint you but theres no such thing... "The Crocket Coon skin" was a wardrobe invention by Walt Disney in 1955. Crocket never wore a coon skin cap prefering the traditional hide brimmed hat of the time...and he was more often seen in a Suit and waistcoat in Parliament than a hide 2 piece... :lol: :lol: Youve been watching too much television :lol:

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Consider this an open invitation to all, Will gladly take you on a wild coon hunt if you find yourself this direction. I am using the Foxpro with the coon fight and they eat it up.

There will be no kissing and hugging on my guided hunts---- unless they are of the opposite sex of course!!!

Wow !! Youre allowed to hunt the opposite sex :unsure:

Thats it, Book me a ticket.

Will do mate :good: , my pals with the hounds have been having some tremendous running of the yotes, most notable was the dogs and hunters covering 26 miles

I would hate to buy those guys shoes!!

Wow !! Youre allowed to hunt the opposite sex :unsure:

Thats it, Book me a ticket.

I don't guarantee she will be a trophy!!!!

Sorry to dissapoint you but theres no such thing... "The Crocket Coon skin" was a wardrobe invention by Walt Disney in 1955. Crocket never wore a coon skin cap prefering the traditional hide brimmed hat of the time...and he was more often seen in a Suit and waistcoat in Parliament than a hide 2 piece... :lol: :lol: Youve been watching too much television :lol:

Very good Mike you are quite correct, I am a little leery of a fur hat, over here you could well get shot by some nimrod thinking he saw a tall coon in the brush. The other hazard would be a great horned owl, they have perched and listen to me squeel like a rabbit and you never hear them alight, they might think Raccoon sounded good for supper.

well done mate great shooting i would love a go at the coons.do they suffer with rabies around your way and do you have regular rabies vaccinations.all the best les

I have seen several sick coons but never did ascertain their illness. If you see a coon staggering around in the daytime it is most likely sick. There are several zoonotic{transferrable to humans} diseases that coons carry and rabies is without doubt the most serious. They carry all manner of parasites as well and a few diseases I can't pronounce or spell. When I see a sick coon I dispatch it and walk away, I suppose I should bury it but can't handle a shovel and a gun.

TSD